1960 trivial question....info wanted honestly

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Dec 18, 2007.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    The category is movie themes.

    The movie is "Dark at the top of the stairs". A hit broadway play
    turned movie starring Angela Lansbury.

    I am trying to find out who actually did the music theme for it. My
    one main source of info gives me two options.
    1) Ernie (fields) freeman & Orchestra
    2) Percy Faith & Orchestra.

    I believe #2 but can find no definitive proof. The tune appeared on
    the 1960 top 40 charts for a few weeks. imdb.com, wikipedia, and
    others that I've seen so far, only speak of the movie and characters.
    Nothing on the scoring.

    I was hoping that maybe somebody who has the info could help me out
    here. No big deal if you don't.

    Oh and puhleeze, no frickin links to google. I'm already trying to
    find a reliable source of info thank you.

    richard, Dec 18, 2007

  2. richard

    Lookout Guest

    Google: movie "Dark at the top of the stairs" score

    Max Steiner

    http://www.hollywood.com/movie/The_Dark_at_the_Top_of_the_Stairs/184792

    http://us.vdc.imdb.com/title/tt0053750/awards

    Lookout, Dec 18, 2007

  3. richard

    Peremptorius Guest

    If you can't do that through google, you must be some kind of
    idiot. That, or you don't have a clue what "reliable source"
    means.

    Peremptorius, Dec 18, 2007
  4. richard

    Rôgêr Guest

    I take it you're new to these here parts.

    Rôgêr, Dec 18, 2007
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    richard, Dec 18, 2007
  6. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    A link to google is unreliable, but some random yahoo in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk isn't?

    Evan Platt, Dec 18, 2007
  7. richard

    Old Gringo Guest

    http://imdb.com/name/nm0194008/

    Old Gringo, Dec 18, 2007
  8. richard

    Lookout Guest

    Uhhh..hey dipshit. You're the one who's lost, not me.
    And another dipshit into the filter

    Lookout, Dec 18, 2007
  9. richard

    richard Guest

    Good try but not exactly what I want. Every movie produced,
    practically every one, has a music score. I just want to know who
    actually performed the score. NOT who wrote it or orchestrated it.

    richard, Dec 18, 2007
  10. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    Don't you mean, "movy" ?

    Remember when you posted this?

    "Movy". Movies is plural.

    heh

    Meat Plow, Dec 18, 2007
  11. richard

    Leroy Guest

    Quite possibly performed by studio 'no name' musicians. Freeman
    and Faith both 'covered' it judging by records for sale, but I see
    no reference to them performing for the movie soundtrack. Download
    the movie and wait for the credits?

    Leroy, Dec 18, 2007
  12. I have a book that lists all of the songs from the Billboard pop charts
    from something like 1955 into the 1990s when it was published. Here's what
    I have for those two:

    Ernie Freeman - only charted one song, and that was "Raunchy" in 1957

    Percy Faith - charted "Theme From A Summer Place" 1960 and "Theme For
    Young Lovers" 1960.

    That's all the book shows for those two orchestras.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 18, 2007
  13. richard

    Leroy Guest

    If you've not already, post your query to some of the USENET groups
    under rec.music.* Some real knowledgable folks there.

    Leroy, Dec 18, 2007
  14. richard

    richard Guest

    Good idea. But that would be "fast forward" to the credits.
    I know also many times Faith would do the show tunes well after their
    initial release and he'd make a ton of money of it.

    richard, Dec 18, 2007
  15. richard

    Leroy Guest

    I've posted the same query to usenet group, rec.music.movies. You
    might follow up on that.

    Leroy, Dec 18, 2007
  16. richard

    richard Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=movy&btnG=Google+Search
    Results 1 - 100 of about 104,000 English pages for movy. (0.35
    seconds)

    "But potato is spelled with an e" - Dan Quayle - USA Vice-Pres.

    All depends on the dictionary used.

    richard, Dec 18, 2007
  17. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    The 1961 Golden Laurel 2nd place award for the music theme for The Dark
    At the Top of the Stairs went to Max Steiner.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053750/awards

    Mike Easter, Dec 18, 2007
  18. richard

    Rôgêr Guest

    Now who performed Steiner's score?

    Rôgêr, Dec 18, 2007
  19. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Murray Cutter was the orchestrator which is described as the person who
    writes orchestral arrangements.

    The individual musicians, who may have been studio or Warners Bros
    Pictures employees were not named.

    Mike Easter, Dec 18, 2007
  20. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Google tells me that Chet Atkins, a bigtime guitar player and record
    producer released an album in 1961 'Chet Atkins Plays Great Movie
    Themes' which included The Dark at the Top of thye Stairs' which I would
    have liked to have heard.

    I have a number of Chet Atkins albums on vinyl, but not that one.

    Mike Easter, Dec 18, 2007