    The "text" was actually a super large font because they had a "promo"
    running but it was noticeably ragged on the 19 inch.

    akiwi

    akiwi, Mar 10, 2005

  2. CMV is a Budget brand

    Have a look at the Philips 19" looks great..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 10, 2005

  3. akiwi

    akiwi Guest

    I know that. Actaully it's the philips 19 inch I'm interested in but
    there aren't any Philips 19 inch monitors around to look at. Which
    model are you referring to - 190P5 or 190B5 ?

    akiwi, Mar 10, 2005
  4. the 19" ones may have a different native resolution

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 10, 2005

  5. Don't know it was in PB Tech in Wellington, Black model..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 10, 2005

  6. But check the LCD response time if you are Into games or Movies..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 10, 2005
  7. akiwi

    Daniel Guest

    Best way to really check is have them each connected to the same card
    and compare (if you have two identical PC's then that makes it easier).

    LCD image quality is also dependent on the VGA output signal from the
    PC/laptop (assuming both are connected via standard VGA connectors).

    Integrated chipsets seem to produce appalling image quality, if the
    signal is bad then it doesn't really matter what LCD monitor you buy.

    AFAIK most recent ATI cards have 400MHz DACs (on both DACs if it's dual
    head), so signal quality is generally quite good.

    Also, check:
    * Is 19" running @ 60Hz? (should be)
    * Has it been calibrated properly (phase & colour)?

    Daniel, Mar 10, 2005
  8. akiwi

    SNOman Guest

    That would be my guess.

    SNOman, Mar 10, 2005
  9. akiwi

    Jedmeister Guest

    Jedmeister, Mar 11, 2005
  10. akiwi

    Peter Guest

    Check what the native resolution of the 19" LCD is.
    The 17" LCD is 1280 x 1024 pixels.
    The 19" LCD is 1600 x 1200 pixels (I think).
    So, to run the 19" at 1280 x 1024 resolution, it has to interpolate which
    leads to a poorer quality image.

    You really need to run LCD monitors at their native resolution. CRT
    monitors can better change to different resolutions.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 11, 2005
  11. akiwi

    Tim Guest

    Sure.... Really nice like Apple's big ones - you know the ones with pixels
    the size of football fields and that actually look like shyte.

    I'll believe it when I see it. for 23" it would need over 1600 x 1200
    resolution to be worth buying.

    The specs say "Max Resolution: 1920x1200 (WUXGA) " but what is the native
    resolution? IE what resolution is it designed for?

    Call me an unbeliever...... I would like to be proven wrong.

    - Tim

    Tim, Mar 11, 2005
  12. akiwi

    akiwi Guest

    Looks like you're wrong

    You'd need a desktop manager that remembered all your window sizes and
    positions.

    akiwi, Mar 11, 2005
  13. BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 11, 2005
  14. akiwi

    pixel Guest

    the native res of [all] 16:10 LCD widescreens at 23 or 24" is 1920x1200.
    that's insanely high resolution, even close up its difficult to spot a
    single pixel unless its an opposite color (hehe, like a stuck pixel
    which is a bummer on such a nice screen). when i first saw them i was
    surprised that at 16:10 ratio a 23" LCD isn't actually that huge...
    apple's 30" is massive though.

    the only downside with 23" or above is that highend gaming will probably
    suffer performance problems on anything less than an SLI configuration,
    more $$$. instead of pushing 1.3 million pixels at 1280 x 1024, you're
    pushing 2.3 mil at 1920. 6800Ultra in some situations might be ok.

    it will probably be NZ$1,999 inc if it ever arrives in NZ.... went on
    sale in Oz a few days ago for A$1,790.

    pixel, Mar 11, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 11, 2005
  16. I don't think you can control the vertical refresh rate of an LCD.
    "60Hz" is simply a meaningless dummy value.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 11, 2005

  17. Yes as they are not scanned like a CRT and do not suffer from Flicker..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 11, 2005
  18. akiwi

    pixel Guest

    it was only released in the US 12 days ago. u'll have to ring dell's
    0800 number and ask when/if they plan to sell it here. i wouldn't be
    surprised if the gimp you talk to has no idea the monitor even exists yet.

    pixel, Mar 12, 2005
  19. any idea where the 0800 goes from here for sales?
    I know support seems to go to India, or Australia.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 12, 2005
  20. akiwi

    pixel Guest

    sorry no idea. heh i feel ur pain tho - nothing worse than a major IT
    brand that has a crap website and online sales support only if you place
    an order.

    pixel, Mar 12, 2005