    For UK calls 18866 charge me 1p connection and nothing per minute. But for
    calls to 0800 numbers they charge me 1p connection plus 1p per minute.
    That's an anomaly.

    Stickems., Aug 14, 2005

  2. Stickems.

    Dexter Guest

    I can call any UK geographical number on my mobile for nothing today
    but a call to an 0800 number will cost me money, it cost operators
    money to connect 0800 numbers I believe and that I presume is why
    18866 and mobile operators charge for calls these numbers .

    Dexter, Aug 14, 2005

  3. If it is an anomaly, there must be a rule to deviate from. Where or
    what is the rule for 18866 0800 numbers?

    If you are manually dialing the number why are dialing the 18866
    prefix? If you are using an Orchid, or similar box or dialer
    equipped phone, why have you programmed / allowed it to use 18866
    for 0800 calls?

    Jono, Aug 14, 2005
  5. Indeed, he is. I'd best go back to bed and get out the other side this
    time, and then read the subject line. 8-(

    do.not.waste.your.time.emailing.me, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Stickems.

    Paul Cupis Guest

    An operator will be paid to originate an 0800 call (recepient pays, and
    that money is given in part to each of the operators involved in the
    call). Whether the amount they are paid is sufficient to meet their
    internal criteria for whether to terminate the call without also
    charging their caller is another matter.

    Paul Cupis, Aug 14, 2005
  7. Stickems.

    Paul Cupis Guest

    One could argue that the "rule" being deviated from is that 0800 numbers
    are free to call. This rule may not apply to "18866 0800 calls", but
    then 18866 are free to charge whatever they choose.

    Paul Cupis, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Stickems.

    tony sayer Guest

    Absolutely "nothing" at all?......

    tony sayer, Aug 14, 2005
  9. Stickems.

    Jono Guest

    Are you sure?

    I would have thought that they have to either draw your attention to the
    charge, or connect it for free.

    Jono, Aug 14, 2005
  10. Stickems.

    Paul Cupis Guest