1841 VPN module

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Frank Winkler, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. Hi guys !

    I have a couple of 1841s, two of which I'd like to get explained ;) ...

    Take a look at this one ...

    Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 116736K/14336K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FCZ1133131E
    2 FastEthernet interfaces
    1 Serial(sync/async) interface
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    191K bytes of NVRAM.
    62496K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

    .... and then at this one:

    Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 118784K/12288K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FCZ104220Z3
    2 FastEthernet interfaces
    2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) interfaces
    1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    191K bytes of NVRAM.
    62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

    I wanted to move the VPN module from the latter one to the first one but
    after opening the boxes, I found that the AIM slot is empty in both cases.
    So the following question arises: where do I find the VPN module
    physically? Or is this just a matter of IOS feature sets?

    TIA

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Feb 15, 2008

  2. Its built into the motherboard on the 1841. The first one probably
    doesn't have a crypto image that has the device driver loading for the
    crypto chip. The later one probably does.

    Doug McIntyre, Feb 15, 2008

  3. That's what I initially thought of but I was expecting that at least the
    hardware would be found, even if not working due to wrong image.

    Am I right that only the 1841 and the 1861 have the crypto chip, and 180x
    and 181x don't? And BTW: what's the difference between HW rev 6.0 and 7.0?

    Regards

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Feb 16, 2008
  4. Frank Winkler

    Merv Guest

    Post the output of "show diag" from both routers

    Merv, Feb 16, 2008
  5. Frank Winkler

    Bod43 Guest

    sh ver
    sh inv

    too.

    Bod43, Feb 16, 2008
  6. Indeed: the one with visible VPN module was running "advipservices", the
    other one was running "spservices". I had just gotten familiar with the
    funny letter combinations showing the feature sets and now they changed
    things again for newer platforms. Where can I find out what those names mean?

    Regards

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Feb 19, 2008
  7. At the moment, I have no access to the routers, I only have some snippets
    left. But what"s the theoretical answer to the HW revs?

    Regards

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Feb 19, 2008
  8. Frank Winkler

    Bod43 Guest

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_white_paper09186a008018305e.shtml

    Figure 6

    Also feature navigator
    www.cisco.com/go/fn

    Bod43, Feb 19, 2008

  9. They mean different things on different platforms. Use Cisco Feature Navigator
    to diff two images on the platform you are interested in for what the
    feature sets support.

    Doug McIntyre, Feb 20, 2008