1720 as a VPN client

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kevin, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to set up a 1720 to act as a VPN client PPTP or L2TP
    (unencrypted, no IPSEC).

    I was told that the cisco can not act as a PPTP VPN client but only as a
    L2TP VPN client, is it true ?

    How can I set up the router to connect as a VPN client ?

    VPN server is like:

    vpdn enable
    vpdn-group 1
    ! Default PPTP VPDN group
    accept-dialin
    protocol pptp
    virtual-template 1

    But I'm lost for the VPN client...

    Should I use request-dialout or request-dialin for a VPN client ?

    Thanks !

    Kevin, Dec 11, 2004

  2. :I'm trying to set up a 1720 to act as a VPN client PPTP or L2TP
    :(unencrypted, no IPSEC).

    :I was told that the cisco can not act as a PPTP VPN client but only as a
    :L2TP VPN client, is it true ?

    I can't tell without a lot of reading. The prospects for L2TP look
    a lot better than for PPTP.

    :How can I set up the router to connect as a VPN client ?

    :VPN server is like:

    :vpdn enable
    :vpdn-group 1
    :! Default PPTP VPDN group
    :accept-dialin
    :protocol pptp
    :virtual-template 1

    That syntax implies that the VPN server is a Cisco IOS device.

    :But I'm lost for the VPN client...

    If both ends are Cisco IOS devices, use IPSec, possibly through
    the simplified EzVPN command set.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 11, 2004