    Alarm didn't ask about 169.254.0.0 again.

    WHOIS tells me nothing about 169.254.0.0. Does anyone know what IP
    address it is?

    Sandi, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Sandi

    Mysteron Guest

    Pasted from: http://www.howtonetworking.com/ipconfig.htm#Why

    Symptom: The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved
    169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 for Automatic Private IP Addressing. If the
    computer can't get ip from DHCP, APIPA provides an address that is
    guaranteed not to conflict with routable addresses.

    Mysteron, Mar 12, 2005

  3. This means that your PC lost its internet connection, and was unable
    to get an IP address. Any 169.x.x.x address is only assigned when all
    else fails and your Pc can't find your ISPs server.

    From ZA's point of view, its completely harmless. From your point of
    view, it means your internet connection fell over. You may want to
    explore why.

    Mark McIntyre, Mar 12, 2005
  4. This is a non routable IP address similar to 10.x.x.x and 172.16-172.31 and
    192.168.x.x. Windows will also default to it if it can not get an IP
    address....

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Mar 12, 2005
  5. Sandi