160GB appears as 131GB

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shane, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Shane

    Shane Guest

    actually..
    add 160 to the search string and you get this
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=+hdd+"131+GB"+160&btnG=Search&meta=
    6th link down is
    http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=33439&
    saying its a bios issue
    and this
    http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3254&page=2
    saying you need windows 2000 sp 3 or later

    Shane, Oct 30, 2005

  3. I threw a 160 GB drive in my Windows 2000 (SP4) box the other day
    which recognised it as above, I searched and found a registry key had
    to be added to Windows manually for it to 'see' drives using 48-bit
    LBA. The key was

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\
    Create a DWORD key 'EnableBigLba' and set it to 1 (0x1)
    Then reboot.

    It worked for me.

    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Shane

    S Roby Guest

    Google often gives too many irrelevant links.
    Typing in hardware (ie hard drive) & review for example will give
    pages & pages links to ad's & online retailers.

    S Roby, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Shane

    Ray Greene Guest

    Brilliant! Thanks for that Kristofer, now my trusty old P500 file server can
    see all of its new 200GB HDD. I assumed it was a BIOS limitation that I was
    stuck with.

    And thanks to John for posting here instead of using Google, I wouldn't have
    discovered this otherwise ;-)

    Ray Greene, Oct 30, 2005
  6. Shane

    Rob J Guest

    Your BIOS doesn't support LBA48, which is needed to recognise any drive
    over 128GiB.

    Rob J, Oct 30, 2005
  7. Shane

    John Guest

    Any idaes why my PC and Partiton Magic 8 only see my new 196 GB drive as
    131GB??

    John, Oct 30, 2005
  8. Shane

    Enkidu Guest

    Even with that the software needs to support it too, which
    means, I think, SP2 on XP. Even then he might need a large
    disk patch from the manufacturer. This article talks about
    the situation.

    http://tinyurl.com/86ys6

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 31, 2005
  9. Shane

    Craig Shore Guest

    SP1 or greater for XP.

    Craig Shore, Oct 31, 2005
  10. Shane

    Ray Greene Guest

    Actually some drivers will access the drive directly without going through
    the BIOS. I suspect this is what happened on my Windows 2000 machine. The
    BIOS sees the 200GB drive as 6GB, but after making the registry modification
    that Kristofer mentioned Windows sees the whole drive.

    I think Partition Magic uses the BIOS though.

    Ray Greene, Oct 31, 2005