1602R w/ both Watchguard and Netgear results in incomplete MAC address

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by rkudyba, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. rkudyba

    rkudyba Guest

    We are trying to configure the FVX538v2 to work in our network which
    has a Cisco 1602R router that is used as a gateway for the individiual
    workstations. It routes 131.* traffic to a searial-attached modem and
    all other traffic to the firewall (been trying a Watchguard Edge and
    Netgear).

    I can connect to the Internet directly with 1 PC going into the
    Netgear. However, when I introduce the network into the Netgear and use
    the Cisco as a GW, if I run a 'show arp' command on the Cisco, the
    ARP/MAC address of the Netgear shows as "Incomplete". The IP address of
    it is correct though. But, I cannot ping the Netgear (times out) from
    inside the Cisco. I can also not ping the Netgear on the PC that is
    directly connected to the Netgear (when the Network is also plugged
    into the Netgear as well).

    Of note: running 'arp -a' on the workstation does display both the IP
    address and MAC address of the Cisco. I can also see both using the
    "Groups and Hosts" option in the GUI for the Netgear. But I cannot ping
    the Cisco from the directly connected PC and the ping in the Netgear
    interface also fails (times out).

    We do have a working Watchguard SOHO in place but noone can get into
    the config since we do not have the username/password and we are trying
    to replace it with the Netgear. With the SOHO in place, everything
    works fine.

    Below I have pasted the Cisco router config so you can see that there
    are no ACL's set up.

    Current configuration:
    !
    version12.0
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname OurHost
    !
    enable secret 5 xxxxxxxxxxx
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    ip helper-address 131.x.x.x
    no ip directed-broadcast
    !
    interface Serial0
    bandwidth 56000
    ip address 172.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
    no ip directed-broadcast
    service-module 56k clock source line
    service-module 56k network-type dds
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254
    ip route 131.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 172.x.x.x
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none
    line vty 0 4