16 Computer Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    I just bought a new computer from Dell (Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP
    Home, no floppy or CD-R drives), and am in the process of downloading all
    the necessary software (e.g., Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Acrobat, Google Toolbar,
    Netscape, etc.), and transferring files over from my old computer (Dell
    OptiPlex GXi with Windows 98SE, no CD-R drive, but has floppy and external
    100 MB zip drive). I have already done Windows Update and NAV Live Update,
    as well as changed all the necessary settings to my own preferences.
    However, I am a still very much a computer novice and have some questions:

    1) I currently have Office 97 on my old computer. I also have the original
    CD, manuals, box, and key code from Microsoft for this (I bought it used
    along with my old computer some years ago). However, I have put the CD and
    key code in storage, and it's going to be quite some time before I am able
    to find it amongst all the boxes (I just moved). I have been searching
    frantically, but this is a big task. Is there a way I can transfer Office 97
    (I just need Excel and Word) from one computer to another? The biggest media
    I have to use are four 100MB zip disks.

    2) I currently have two FTP software programs on my old PC: Filezilla 1.9.9
    and WS-FTP. But I don't have the original installation CD's for these,
    although I am legally licensed to possess these on my computer. Is there a
    way to get these over to my new computer? Or, is there a similar, but free,
    FTP program available? I heard it's possible to use DOS to upload, but I
    heard it is not as easy as an FTP program, and would prefer not to use that.

    3) I currently have NAV Corporate Edition on my old computer, am legally
    licensed to possess this. Again, I do not have the install CD. The advantage
    of Corporate Edition is that it comes with free updates from Norton for
    life! How do I get this over to my new computer? Right now, I just have the
    free 90-day trial version of NAV on my new computer. Or, is there a free AV
    software that is just as good as NAV? I doubt it, but I thought I would ask.

    4) I have a program called StuffIt Expander by Aladdin on my old computer.
    Again, I have the legal license, but not the install CD. How do I transfer
    this, or is there a free, permanent alternative?

    5) How do I transfer my IE6 and Netscape 4.77 and 6.2.3 favorites/bookmarks
    to my new computer?

    6) How do I transfer my OE6 emails and saved folders to my new computer? I
    do not even know where they are stored on my computer. And I only have 100MB
    zip disks to work with. No floppy disk drive or CD-R drive. No DellKey
    either.

    7) Is there anything else that I need to transfer that I would not be aware
    of? This is what I have so far: documents from Excel and Word, HTML
    documents and Windows Notepad text files and OE6 .eml files; photos;
    bookmarks; OE6 emails; other files, such as ASCII, that I copied to my
    computer. I don't have any music or video files.

    8) How do I arrange it so that I can network my two computers? One is XP
    Home, and the other is Windows 98SE. I do have a router, if that will help.
    And how do I connect my laser printer to my router? It is an HP LaserJet 4P,
    but I don't think it has an ethernet port.

    9) I am having trouble finding a program called "Hijack This" to download. I
    have done a google search with no results. Where do I find it?

    10) I am having trouble unzipping and installing TweakUI on my new computer.
    I downloaded it, and the WinZip Self-Extractor (whatever that is) says 4
    files were unzipped successfully. But the TweakUI icon does not appear in my
    Control Panel, and when I click on the single icon in the TweakUI folder, it
    takes me to the WinZip Self Extractor box again! On my old computer, where
    TweakUI was successfully installed, I had a TweakUI icon in my control
    panel, and there were four files in the TweakUI folder. So I know something
    is wrong.

    11) Is a program called "End-It-All" safe to use? It has all kinds of scary
    warnings. On my old computer, there were only three processes running in the
    background: Explorer, VPTray, and SysTray. Now, on my new computer, there
    are around 20 or 30. This is overwhelming to me. When I run things like Disk
    Defragmenter or Ad-Aware, I like to shut down all non-essential background
    processes.

    12) Is there a way to prevent non-essential processes from running in the
    background? Right now I use "Start" > "Run" > "Msconfig" > "Startup", but I
    do not know if this will work on my new computer.

    13) With Windows 98SE, I had to make a special boot-up disk when installing
    it. How do I do this with XP Home, especially since my new computer does not
    have a floppy disk drive (XP Home came installed on my computer already from
    Dell)?

    14) I threw out Eudora, since it was taking up too much space on my old
    computer. But I think I might have some old emails from that program
    somewhere. Where do I find these, so I can transfer them?

    15) For Usenet, rather than having to set up new accounts on my new
    computer, and having to download all sorts of newsgroups again, which would
    take a while, is there a way I can use "IMAP" for Usenet, so I can just
    enter my user name and password on OE6 and be all set up? This is what I did
    for my webhosting email accounts. I switched from POP3 to IMAP, and all of a
    sudden, all of my saved mail folders were on my new computer!

    16) For my ISP email accounts (different from my webhosting email accounts
    above), they do not support IMAP (my ISP is Comcast). So, what do I do if I
    want to be able to access my emails, as well as all of my saved email
    folders, from both computers? In other words, if I send an email, I want to
    be able to go to my "sent mail" folders on both computers and see that same
    message.

    Thanks for any help!

    Julie

    Julie P., Jun 9, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    Brian Guest

    well done! i opened it and didn't even bother reading it to the end... might
    be helpfull if you ask one q get a solution and then ask the next... i'm not
    sure if many people are going to take the time to read your complete post...
    i'm not being funny.. but could distract people from helping you...

    Brian, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    TT Guest

    I think the networking of the 2 PC's is the first and most important
    thing for you to do. A number of your issues will be addressed with
    that... You don't need a router to network the 2 machines but it helps.
    The router instructions should explain how but make sure that you run the
    networking wizard on the XP box and at the final step, create the floppy
    disk that you will use to install the network settings on the 98 box.
    After a reboot of both, they should see each other. If you don't want to
    use the router, then you will do all of the above but use crossover
    ethernet cable, not the same cable that connects the router and the pc
    now...once you do that, you won't need the zip disks because you can move
    the files from PC to PC over the ethernet cable.
    The actual process will take longer and be more because each networking
    job has it's own glitches to overcome but that's the big picture anyway.
    I tried to move the Office 97 suite in this fashion a couple of years
    ago and met with mixed results. I wound up reinstalling it( a borrowed
    copy-I'm not proud...) You may have better luck...
    The winzip program asks where to put your 'stuff' and then puts it
    there-you may need to re-unzip and pay closer attention to where it's
    going. Unzipping takes a little getting used to at first, but works just
    like stuffit does when you get to learn it.

    TT, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    How did you manage to lose ALL these CDs?

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    Brian Guest

    np Julie

    Brian, Jun 9, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Thanks TT! The only problem is I don't have a floppy disk drive on the new
    box, a decision I now regret. I suppose I could disconnect and install my
    zip drive from old PC, but that is sort of a pain (or find my other, 250 MB
    external zip drive, which actually is lost in storage as well, next to my
    Office 97 CD somewhere :) ). Last time I installed the zip drive, I had to
    go to Live Help from Iomega, since it doesn't say what type of zip drive I
    have on the unit itself. And you need to know that to download the right
    Iomega software.

    thanks so much for the detailed advice! I'm glad it doesn't seem that
    complex now, except for the floppy problem above.

    I'll try this. I think the WinZip was this free 30 day trial version from
    the web, but I'm not sure quite how to use it, since when it asks me to find
    the program to unzip, it doesn't show in the options box the TweakUI file
    which I downloaded.

    Julie P., Jun 9, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    thanks for this tip Brian. I think you may well be right. If I don;t get a
    lot of responses, I'll repost.

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 9, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    Rifleman Guest

    I didn't think Netscape issues "update patches" as such.........

    Rifleman, Jun 9, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    one other question:

    17) Is there an equivalent to the Windows Update option for Netscape 7.1? I
    want to patch any known security flaws in Netscape, as well as IE6.

    Julie P., Jun 9, 2004
  10. Julie P.

    Brian Guest

    as you are no longer a student there you have also lost the rights to own
    that software....and if you installed that software from a server you will
    have no chance of getting hold of the install or setup .exe's sorry... try
    p2p networks... to regain "your righfully owned software"

    Brian, Jun 9, 2004
  11. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    I downloaded them legally from my school, but no longer am a student there,
    so I don't have access to the download page.

    Julie P., Jun 9, 2004
  12. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    this is not true. you are allowed to install it on your computer for your
    own use. separation from the university does not require you to uninstall
    the software.

    besides, I could have easily picked up a copy of the install CD with all of
    these programs if I had wanted.

    this would be like saying that once you download something for pay, like
    NAV, you would not be allowed to transfer this to a new computer of yours.

    Julie P., Jun 9, 2004
  13. Julie P.

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Then you don't legally have the right to use the programs.

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 9, 2004
  14. Julie P.

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Better re-read the license agreements and the agreements you made with
    your school.
    Those would more than likely be educational versions and again, you're
    no longer a student.
    You didn't pay for them, your school did.

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 9, 2004
  15. Julie P.

    Parko Guest

    <snnnnnnnip>

    I haven't pulled apart a Dell yet, but why not try taking the two PCs to
    a competent techie and get him/her to install the old hard drive as a
    slave to the new hard drive and dual booting, assuming the old operating
    system was Win 98. Windows XP supports this and it would save a lot of
    time and effort on your part. You will probably find that quite a few
    of your old programs may not run on Win XP. Just another option to the
    networking suggestion.

    Parko, Jun 9, 2004
  16. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Thanks! But the idea I had was to have one computer as a backup. So if I had
    both hard drives in the same computer, this would defeat that purpose. Plus,
    my old hard drive is, well, old. :) And I want to transfer those documents
    from there to my new hard drive.

    Julie P., Jun 9, 2004
  17. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Bad Bad Dell for not including a floppy drive by default.

    Plato, Jun 9, 2004
  18. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Just a guess. But perhaps MS provides some ware to schools for free in a
    marketing ploy to get folks hooked on their ware so when they graduate
    they now have to buy it since all their stuff is based on it.

    Plato, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Julie P.

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    The MS software supplied to schools with the MS courseware are
    educational versions and are marked on the CD "For training purposes
    only" (quoted directly off my copy of Visio 2000 Enterprise).

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 9, 2004
  20. Julie P.

    geothermal Guest

    She paid the school tuition, which covered the cost of
    the software. So she paid for them.

    geothermal

    geothermal, Jun 9, 2004