16 BIT WINDOWS SUBSYTEM

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Si, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. Si

    Si Guest

    Hi

    recently whenever I try to install software from a cd I get a box opening
    up:

    Box title - 16 BIT WINDOWS SUBSYTEM

    Box Contents - C:\PROGR~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual
    Device Driver failed Dll initialisation. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    application.

    The other option was 'Ignore'.

    I always simply clicked ignore and installed anyway. But when trying to
    install a new Lexmark 2200 printer the installation just hangs midway. I've
    been to 'tech support' at Lexmark, and tried all the different articles with
    no success.

    I notice the error message contains 'Symantec'. I had Norton AV on my PC
    when it was new (3 years ago) but got rid of it after 3 months.

    I've only begun to see this message in the last month.

    I'm running XP Pro, 512Ram, Intel Celeron 1.8.

    Anyone have any ideas whats causing the Subsystem box?

    Si

    Si, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Si

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot into Safe Mode and delete (if it exists) the Symantec
    folder from 'Program Files'. Now, copy/paste the following
    into notepad and save it as "vdd.reg", without the quotes.
    Once saved, double click on the .reg file to merge it into
    the registry.

    ***** <---OMIT THIS LINE
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers]
    "VDD"=-
    "VDD"=hex(7):00,00

    ***** <---OMIT THIS LINE

    Reboot back into normal mode.

    In <GkS9e.1362$>,
    Si took 30 lines to utter:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Si

    lozzie666

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, I bought Theme Hospital and am trying to install it onto my computer, yet every time I try and install it I get the same error message appearing

    [16 Bit Windows Subsystem

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.]

    The other option is 'Ignore'

    I really have no idea what is wrong so wondered if you could help me please? It would be of great help, thankyou! :)

    lozzie666, Jul 2, 2006