16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, May 30, 2005.

  1. Thanks. :)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    Aldo Bleeker Guest

    This same issue was discussed on Slashdot here:

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/31/200219&tid=142&tid=137

    The conclusion is that price comparisons should not be based on MHz, as
    some do, but on performance, and it's clear that AMD and Intel chips of
    the same performance level are about the same price.

    I'm quoting one of the participants in this discussion (taskforce) here:

    "I actually saw this exact claim being made on Yahoo News this morning
    and was a bit pissed off. The chips have almost identical price points.

    "AMD's low end goes for $537 which is almost identical to the Pentium
    at $530 it actually outperforms. The high end goes for $1001 which is
    almost identical to the PDEE which goes for $999. And guess what, it
    outperforms that. Intel has a lower starting point and AMD doesn't match
    it, THAT is true, but if you actually compare the chips like for like
    it's obvious to even a brain dead monkey that X2s come at the same price
    points as the PDs and to anyone who thinks of looking at benchmarks, the
    X2s easily out perform them.

    "How are X2's twice the price, I thought people understood the whole
    Mhz thing now..."

    Aldo Bleeker

    Aldo Bleeker, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Congrats André, soon you'll be part of the extended64 family :)

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Guest

    roman modic Guest

    Hello,
    Hehe, where is OS/2? Well, here is some info from Wikipedia:

    [wikipedia]

    * OS/2

    is an operating system created by Microsoft and IBM and later developed by
    IBM exclusively. The name stands for "Operating System/2", because it was
    introduced as the preferred operating system for IBM's "Personal System/2
    (PS/2)" line of second-generation Personal Computers.

    OS/2 was intended as a protected mode successor of MS-DOS and Microsoft
    Windows. Notably, basic system calls were modeled after MS-DOS calls; their
    names even started with "Dos" and it was possible to link text mode
    applications in such a way that they could work on both systems ("bound"
    programs). Because of this heritage, in terms of look, feel and features,
    OS/2 is not unlike Windows in many ways; but it also shares similarities
    with Unix and XENIX.

    * Enthusiastic beginnings

    IBM and Microsoft signed the Joint Development Agreement in August 1985.

    OS/2 1.0 was announced in April 1987 and released in December, as a text
    mode-only OS. It however featured a rich API for controlling the video
    display (VIO) and getting keyboard and mouse events, a sort of a
    protected-mode BIOS. Not surprisingly, the video and keyboard APIs were also
    available to "bound" programs on MS-DOS. The promised GUI, Presentation
    Manager, was introduced with OS/2 1.1 in November 1988. Version 1.2
    introduced the HPFS filesystem.

    OS/2 and Windows-related books of the late 1980s acknowledged the existence
    of both systems and promoted OS/2 as the system for the future.

    * Breakup

    The collaboration between IBM and Microsoft unravelled in 1990, between the
    releases of Windows 3.0 and OS/2 1.3. Initially, at least publicly,
    Microsoft continued to insist the future belonged to OS/2. Steve Ballmer of
    Microsoft even took to calling OS/2 "Windows Plus". The public; however,
    decided it wanted Windows, not OS/2. The increasing popularity of Windows
    prompted Microsoft to shift its development focus from OS/2, and IBM grew
    concerned about delays in development of OS/2 2.0. Initially, the companies
    agreed that IBM would take over maintenance of OS/2 1.0 and development of
    OS/2 2.0, while Microsoft would continue development of OS/2 3.0, then known
    as "NT OS/2", which supposedly stood for New Technology. However, Microsoft
    decided to recast NT OS/2 as Windows NT, leaving all future OS/2 development
    to IBM. Windows NT's OS/2 heritage can be seen in its initial support for
    the HPFS filesystem (although write support was dropped in Windows NT 4.0
    and read support was dropped in Windows 2000) and text mode OS/2 1.x
    applications (support dropped in Windows XP).

    [/wikipedia]

    Voila an interesting quote: "During the next 10 years, millions of
    programmers and users will utilise this system" Bill Gates, November 1988
    (in the Foreword to the Inside OS/2 book by Gordon Letwin, Microsoft's
    architect for OS/2).

    Cheers, Roman

    roman modic, Jun 1, 2005
  6. I still have my copy of OS/2 3.0 somewhere in my closet. LOL

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Guest

    Aldo Bleeker Guest

    I'm sorry if I hinted to some connection between 16-bits apps and AMD's,
    it wasn't intended. I just replied to Davins post, about clarifying the
    16-bits situation under XP, and AMD's beign great processors. Those were
    supposed to be seperate replies, I shouldn't have put them on the same line.

    Aldo Bleeker

    Aldo Bleeker, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  9. Yes Mike, that was a nice run through history. :)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  14. Yes, otherwise known as the AMD Celeron. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  15. LOL. I admit, I am a pack rat. I just realized that still have my OS/2 2.1
    diskettes too. :)

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005
  16. Basically, yes! ;-). A degrade processor inheriting from a higher
    performance processor, but I would say Sempron is better than Celeron. If
    you want low performance check out AMD Duron processors ;-). Just joking -
    far too slow...

    Regards,
    Davin Eastley

    ----------
    www.davineastley.tk
    Forums Home

    Davin Eastley, Jun 2, 2005
  17. Davin Eastley, Jun 4, 2005
  18. There are a lot of good resources for x64 architecture out there.
    Do a Google search for some good material.

    Regards,
    Davin Eastley

    ---------
    www.davineastley.tk
    Forums Home

    Davin Eastley, Jun 12, 2005
  19. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Does anyone know if Dosbox will work on WinXP X64. It may seem of little
    interest but I have a couple games from the 90s that I have to run in Dosbox

    Guest, Jun 12, 2005
  20. I'm not sure whether it will. I don't think so, though.

    Regards,
    Davin Eastley

    www.davineastley.tk
    Forums Home