    reported Ip it just doesn't work.

    154.5.172.107 can't be an external IP, Ips start with 2s and stuff like
    207. not 154, that's stupid

    Uplink, Aug 26, 2006

  2. Uplink

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Uplink wrote in message
    What a genious, giving his IP out to all the hackers. Better reset your modem!

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Plato Guest

    Hackers dont care about home user ips.

    Plato, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    What difference does it make? The machine is behind a NAT router. As
    long as the router is not port forwarding a port or (ports) to a LAN
    side private IP/machine, which is opening a port, it makes no
    difference. They cannot come past the NAT router if port triggering or
    forwarding is not being done, particularly true for a router that's
    using SPI.

    But in general, unsliced inbound traffic is not going to come past the
    router. Now, if he does open the port by using port forwarding, then
    only the service or server program listing on the port may be affected.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 27, 2006
  5. Uplink

    dennis Guest

    I had a similar problem when trying to set up pcanywhere on a host system.
    I could get pcanywhere to work or ping the ip from another system. (even
    when determining the external address from www.whatismyip.info)

    I called telco and found the above was not what the telco had set up
    (static ip). Got that fixed... still couldn't do pcanywhere. What fixed
    the issue was the dsl modem was not truly in bridge mode, was still in route
    and had a firewall enabled.

    Might be worth a call to your telco.

    Dennis

    dennis, Aug 27, 2006
  6. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Well, of course it works with localhost, because localhost is pointing
    to the machine itself.

    You can also use Http://127.0.0.1 or FTP://127.0.0.1 as an example,
    which is localhost too and is the Loopback IP, use Google and lookup
    127.0.0.1 or the Loopback IP and find out what it means. You can start
    up a browser like IE and others, and if you do nothing with the browser
    and let it sit for awhile, it will switch to the Loopback IP keeping
    itself ready while running and it's doing nothing.

    From a machine behind the router or not behind the router, you CANNOT
    give the public IP the ISP has assigned to the modem, thinking it's
    going to go out to the Internet and then comeback to the originating
    machine. It doesn't work that way. In the router's case, that public
    WAN/Internet IP is NOT an IP on the private side/LAN of the router. But
    in general, it doesn't work that way with you giving the public WAN/IP.
    The ONLY machine that can give that public/WAN IP that's assigned to the
    modem is another machine on the Internet or the public.

    In a LAN situation behind the router, you use Localhost to access the
    service/server running on the machine locally. From another machine on
    the LAN behind the router that you want to access a service/server
    running on a machine, you give the DHCP IP the router has assigned to
    the machine. If the machine is using a static IP on the router, which
    you should be using a static IP in this case (the IP never changes,
    unlike a DHCP IP from the router) then you use that IP from the other
    machine on the LAN.
    You should read the link.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    With the router, in order for another machine on the Internet to contact
    a service/server program running on machine behind the router by giving
    the public WAN IP assigned to the modem by the ISP, port forwarding must
    be used to forward the traffic for a port or port(s) to the private LAN
    IP the machine is using.

    You'll have to open the port or ports(s) on ZA whether or not the
    machine is behind the router or the machine is directly connected to the
    modem.

    Your router should have a Web site with a Support Knowledge Base so you
    can figure out how to use port forwarding and also how to set the
    machine to use a static IP on the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 27, 2006
  7. Uplink

    bambam Guest

    :)

    bambam, Aug 27, 2006
  8. Uplink

    dvm Guest

    Sorry, I should have gone to bed instead of sitting down at my pc....
    The first paragraph should have read

    "I had a similar problem when trying to set up pcanywhere on a host
    system. I could NOT get pcanywhere to work or ping the ip from another
    system. (even
    when determining the external address from www.whatismyip.info)

    dennis

    dvm, Aug 27, 2006
  9. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    People please, why would anyone use something like whatismyip? I don't
    understand it.

    All anyone has to do is use IPconfig /all at the Command Prompt and it
    will tell you the IP the machine is using from the ISP, even if it's a
    dial-up connection with the ISP. It's also going to tell you the DNS
    IP(s) of the Domain Name Servers at the ISP the machine is using at the
    time of connection.

    If a router or FW appliance is connected to the modem, then one of Admin
    screens of those devices, will tell you the IP and DNS IP(s) they are
    using from the ISP.

    The bottom line is know how to use your equipment and the O/S.

    Secondly, if using PCAW or any software where one part of the software
    is acting as host/server to a client on the LAN or WAN, if the client is
    coming from the Internet, then one has to know how to configure the
    router, FW appliance or host based FW to open the inbound port or ports
    that needs to be open for communications to take place. If the
    host/server is on a LAN and it's running a persoanl FW/packet filter,
    then it has to be configured to open the inbound port or ports needed to
    allow communications between the host/server and the client.

    There are two types of traffic a router, FW appliance or host based FW
    solution works with. One type of traffic is *solicited* inbound traffic,
    where as, software running behind the FW or router initiates contact to
    a remote IP by sending outbound traffic to the remote IP. That's a
    solicitation for traffic from a program behind the FW or router, which
    is usually client software. The router or FW will let inbound traffic
    back to the machine when it's solicited traffic.

    The other kind of traffic the router, FW appliance or host based FW
    deals with is unsolicited inbound traffic. No program running on a
    machine behind them has solicited the traffic. Unsolicited inbound
    traffic is going to be blocked by them.

    If a computer is running some kind of host or server software on a
    machine behind a router, FW or host based FW, the program is not going
    to initiate any contact with the client machine running the client
    software. It's the client that is the one that must initiate the contact
    and it's the one that wants contact, which is unsolicited inbound
    traffic from the client and it's blocked.

    In order of the client to initiate the contact with the host or server
    machine running the host/server software and a router, FW appliance or
    host base FW is in play on the server machine, then the appropriate
    inbound port or ports must be opened to the unsolicited inbound traffic
    the client is sending, otherwise, the traffic is blocked.

    Sometimes, the client software must have inbound ports open too on the
    router, FW appliance or host based FW, even though the client is the one
    initiating the contact.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 27, 2006
  10. Uplink

    dennis Guest

    Duane...
    guess I'm kinda confused on the ipconfig thing... assuming he was directly
    connected to the dsl modem in bridge mode 'ipconfig /all' will show the ip
    address as assigned by his isp. However the op mentioned a router, it's
    been my experience that the router assigns thie ip address by default. In
    this case ipconfig /all sees the local ip address (as assigned by his local
    router), gateway, dns, mac address etc. Wouldn't he still need to use
    whatismyip.info or ipchicken.com (or some other tool) to get his external ip
    address (as the outside world sees him)?

    thanks
    dennis

    dennis, Aug 28, 2006
  11. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yeah, the router assigns a private LAN IP to any machine requesting a
    DHCP IP from the router, if the router is using DHCP. There are also
    static IP(s) on the router too, where the NIC must be setup manually to
    use the static IP(s). A static IP on the router or FW appliance is any
    IP that cannot be issued by the DHCP server on the router or FW appliance.

    As, I have explained, if the router or FW appliance is connected to the
    modem. Either one will have an Admin screen that shows the IP its using
    at the time of connection with the ISP, along with the DNS IP(s) too,
    the external/WAN facing IP/external IP, whatever you want to call that
    IP from the ISP.

    I am not sitting in front of a router or FW appliance at this time, I am
    on the road. But I guarantee you, either one will show the IP
    information the device has when connected to the ISP.

    It's been my experience that if a machine is connected to the router or
    FW appliance that's using NAT and IPconfig /all is used, it will show
    two sets of information.

    One, it shows the IP being used on the router or FW appliance of IP,
    Subnet IP and gateway IP.

    Two, it shows the connection IP information from the ISP of ISP's IP
    Subnet and DNS Server IP(s), as I recall. It's been sometime that I have
    seen a machine connected to a router and the IPconfig /all information
    given.

    But in either case of the router or FW appliance, there is a status
    screen that shows the external IP that's being used and the DNS IP(s)
    being used by the router or FW appliance at connection time with the ISP.

    They are either requesting an DHCP IP from the ISP, which assigns the IP
    and DNS IP(s) to the router or FW appliance automatically from the ISP
    or they have been setup to use static IP(s) from the ISP, where the user
    enters that static IP information into the manually to the router or FW
    appliance.

    In none of the cases does anyone have to use some tool to find out what
    the external, WAN/Internet IP or public facing IP is being used from the
    ISP.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 28, 2006