    Anyone know anything about these...

    I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
    get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.

    T.N.O., Nov 15, 2003

  2. Yes I use one of these for my laptop, it charges as I drive along.
    I'm not sure I would use it in the city with all the stop starting, but I
    use it if I'm travelling for more than about 1 hour and it hasn't affected
    the battery (memory effect) on my laptop yet.

    Southern Kiwi, Nov 15, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Sorry, I should have been clearer(mind going faster than fingers)...
    what sort, where from, and how much?

    T.N.O., Nov 15, 2003

  4. No its not, get the Manufactures correct Adapter for the car..

    A decent 240 converter will cost more..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 15, 2003

  5. DSE..

    150w one and a 300w one..

    $138 & $128 on Special

    Both are Chinese Digitor crap..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 15, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
    240v converter, just one that will do.

    The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
    discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
    or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
    running a bit longer...

    T.N.O., Nov 15, 2003
  7. I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up when I
    tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so was
    well within spec of it.

    Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 15, 2003

  8. DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 15, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    They have a 650w one as well - just under $300 from memory.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    Jerry Guest

    How warm does that get your car wiring?

    Jerry

    Jerry, Nov 15, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    Rupert Guest

    Rupert, Nov 15, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    Dave Guest

    snip
    Most reliable 12v - 240 Volt invertor on the market would still likely be a
    Redfern Radio unit. He's been making them for years and years using reliable
    and efficient old technology. There are some things the "old school" still
    do better where pride, reliability and service comes before profit.
    dW

    Dave, Nov 15, 2003
  14. You could always connect it direct to the battery with some thick
    wire.

    Phillip Weston, Nov 15, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Probably needs a good heavy duty battery. I wonder how hard these things
    are on car battery if the car isn't running at the time?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  16. That's true. I see most of the modern japanese cars have tiny
    batteries. My '89 Galant has a mother of a battery. I accidentally
    (with the keys in the ignition so the beeper never went off) left my
    lights on, on high beam for 4 hours and the car still turned over fine
    when I went to start it.

    You could also just turn the inverter off when you wish too.

    Phillip Weston, Nov 15, 2003
  17. Probably needs a good heavy duty battery. I wonder how hard these things
    I was gettnig about an hour out of it before the low battery cutout kicked in,
    Still plenty left in the battery to start the car. That was with 1 laptop

    Thats on a car battery smaller then any I have seen before. I think one laptop
    is about 60-70 watts.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 16, 2003
  18. Go look at dickhead smiths. There's a reasonable range there and they seem
    to be reasonably proced (surprisingly, it's DSE after all)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 16, 2003
  19. Look at the ratings on the average laptop PSU. Most are only 40W or so...

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 16, 2003
  20. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    well it will only be used when Im out driving, searching for ummm,
    networks, and the car will be left running.

    T.N.O., Nov 16, 2003