    at the microsoft xp knowledge base it shows wep to be 40 bit, and 104 bit(vs
    128bit). If microsoft only allows 104 bits, then this explains the 3 char
    difference which is causing the problem, but what is the fix?

    Guest, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Try pasting (ctrl-V) the WEP key into the dialog?

    The extra 3 bits should be used for the IV (which should be random).

    I found this site at random that sort of explains how WEP works:

    http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2002/0909wepprimer.html

    Let me know if this helps. I've seen pasting the key work in the past.

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Nov 3, 2004