    anything to do with tape drive data cartridges that they were rather
    expensive, hence the impulse buy. Heck, they're worth $2 to me for the
    included labels. <g>

    ~misfit~, Aug 17, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    peterwn Guest

    A museum might be interested.

    peterwn, Aug 17, 2010

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I don't like to see working stuff thrown out Peter and I know that there are
    a few folks here who run older hardware, especially when it comes to server
    hardware. Just doing my bit to try to keep them out of a landfill and
    perhaps help out a collector or like-minded 'preserver'.

    <shrug> That said they'll probably end up in the wheelie bin, as did my
    'still in the original box' Amiga 500 that I offered here a few times. I
    don't think I'll bother with a Trademe listing, I didn't buy them to make a
    profit, just as an attempt to perhaps connect someone in need with what is
    likely a very rare commodity. I thought of this group mainly as I've seen
    discussions of older gear / media here and I doubt there'd be many places
    you could get these things still shrink-wrapped.

    As I said, worst case scenario is I get some handy-sized labels for my $2
    and the IHC got a little revenue from their op-shop.

    ~misfit~, Aug 17, 2010
  4. ~misfit~

    peterwn Guest

    Agreed in a way. However it is unlikely that any apt hardware would
    now be anything but a museum piece.

    Mind you, some of the electric trains running in Wellington are museum
    pieces - they were given to Ferrymead, then brought back to Wellington
    to meet increasing passenger numbers.

    peterwn, Aug 18, 2010
  5. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    But back to the tapes. I think misfit did an important service. Saw that he
    could be the connection between opshop, not the group, and someone who might
    need the said articles.

    Keeping stuff out of the landfill

    Okay this is for Christchurch, New Zealand but no doubt there is one near
    you.

    The group has many, many "trades" , or Takens. What is one persons junks is
    anothers need.

    Scavanging, digital? Maybe but it is working.

    Reuse is above recycling in the waste family.

    Gordon, Aug 18, 2010
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks for that, it seems that we share some basic beliefs. :)

    By following links from the ChCh site I found that what appears to be the
    closest to me (Pukekohe) is a Manurewa group. I might give them a shot.

    ~misfit~, Aug 19, 2010