    with a 120GB. The cost of the laptop was in the region of £800, 4 years
    ago. Sorry for not having precise info, its intuitive opinion that I'm
    looking for.

    nick, Dec 16, 2007

  2. The laptop is unlikely to be a factor in this. You're describing
    firewall problems. He should check his security settings.

    Christopher Jahn, Dec 16, 2007

  3. nick

    old man Guest

    Its very unlikely anything to do with the HD, iether as was posted a
    firewall problem and or it needs the correct drivers from samsung

    old man, Dec 16, 2007
  4. nick

    PeeCee Guest

    Nick

    The size of the hard drive is unlikely to be an issue.

    Possibilities that come to mind.
    1 The drive is defective, download the drive makers diagnostic program from
    their website.
    Up to the repairers to remedy.

    2 The quality of the OS and drivers install .
    If your friend supplied the original restore disk that came with the laptop,
    then there
    may be patches and or updates from the makers website that should be
    installed.
    Installing from a generic XP CD on the otherhand may mean the wrong drivers
    are
    loaded, again a check on the makers website may help.
    Who fixes depends on what the repairer was expected to do.

    3 The file system is screwed up.
    In this case do a scandisk and set the 'Automatically fix file system
    errors' tick box and restart the PC
    (Start, My Computer, right click on C: drive, left click properties, tools
    tab, and go into error checking at the top)
    Who fixes again depends.

    4 Being 4 years old the Laptop may well have other issues that that were
    aggravated by the installation of the drive.
    This may require the complete stripdown and rebuild of the Laptop cleaning
    and reseating all the bit's as it's reassembled.
    Not something the repairer should be expected to pay for, and if there is a
    board fault not economical to do.
    In fact I've seen signs in Computer shops laterly specifically excluding
    this side affect from repair warranties.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 16, 2007
  5. nick

    richard Guest

    Replace the 40gig as the main drive, then use the 120gig as an
    external. Chances are the laptop is not configured to handle the
    larger capacity directly. Could also be a pin issue.

    Why would a firewall care about size? BIOS might, but not the
    firewall.

    Hell, I had a 5 year old laptop that came with windows 98SE and used a
    250 gig external drive on it with no problems. When I got my newer
    laptop, it had XP and I scrapped SE in favor of XP. Ran just fine.

    richard, Dec 17, 2007
  6. nick

    nick Guest

    Brilliant response from everybody. Will forward to friend, assuming he can
    read it!!

    nick, Dec 17, 2007
  7. None of the symptoms are consistent with that; if it couldn't
    handle the capacity, it either wouldn't work at all, or he'd only
    be able to access a portion equal to the MB's max capacity.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

    I'D RATHER HAVE A PRESIDENT WHO SCREWED HIS INTERN THAN ONE WHO
    SCREWED HIS COUNTRY

    Christopher Jahn, Dec 17, 2007
  8. nick

    doS Guest

    except the pin issue, as laptop drives dont have jumpers

    doS, Dec 18, 2007
  9. nick

    Plato Guest

    It doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

    Plato, Dec 20, 2007