    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
    freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Sir Winston Churchill

    Pegleg, May 4, 2006

  2. Pegleg

    Lem Guest

    There are two questions here.

    Is an 802.11b router compatible with an 802.11g adapter? AFAIK, D-Link 11g
    adapters are supposed to be compatible with both 11g and 11b networks, I
    assume this means that the adapters are smart enough to act as 11b devices
    when talking to an 11b access point (like your router).

    Will your wireless equipment work with TiVo? This is a much more
    complicated question. TiVo does not play well with all wireless devices.
    See generally,
    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2066.htm?

    Lem, May 4, 2006

  3. Pegleg

    Lem Guest

    P.S. TiVo STILL does not provide WPA encryption, so you will have to reduce
    the encryption setting for your entire wireless network to WEP. TiVo has been
    promising WPA for a long time, but so far, hasn't delivered. The last time I
    thought about connecting my TiVo via wireless (over a year ago), there was some
    kind of kludgy way, involving a combination of wired and wireless adapters and
    bridges, to get a secure wireless connection. It was too
    expensive/complicated, and I didn't bother. That's still the only solution
    that I know of. See this thread in the TiVo wireless forum:
    http://tinyurl.com/ljvbo

    Lem, May 4, 2006
  4. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    Thanks for the response Lem. We live in a very isolated area on ten
    acres and very few of our neighbors have internet and no one has
    wireless so went with the Net Gear adaptor and installed a new 11g
    NetGear wireless router. No one can reasonably get within 1000 feet of
    the house so I'm not too worried about the encryption level. Set it up
    and it connected with no problem.

    Thanks again!

    Pegleg
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Support Our Troops,
    Question The Policy!

    Pegleg, May 5, 2006
  5. Pegleg

    Lem Guest

    You're welcome.

    Out of curiosity, do you intend to use the wifi link to your TiVo to update TiVo's
    program info (i.e., instead of having it phone home on your regular telephone) or to
    try to distribute video between different locations in your house? It's the latter
    application and its high bandwidth demands that causes all the angst over at the
    TiVo forums. If you want to be really geeky, now that you are using the Internet to
    update TiVo program info, you can remotely program your TiVo from anyplace in the
    world that you can access the www. http://www.tivo.com/1.2.9.asp

    Lem, May 5, 2006
  6. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    Hey Lem,

    Primarily to update the program info...haven't even looked into the
    video distribution thing.

    Programming on the web is a whole lot better than the on-screen menu
    system I think...maybe just haven't used the on-screen one enough.

    We're still kind of getting the feel for the whole system.

    Are you referring to forums on the TiVo web site? Are there others that
    you are aware of?

    Thanks again.

    Pegleg
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Support Our Troops,
    Question The Policy!

    Pegleg, May 6, 2006
  7. Pegleg

    Lem Guest

    Yes, forums on the TiVo website. They have both "help forums"
    http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp?WT.svl=body
    and "TiVo community forum" http://www.tivocommunity.com/

    Lem, May 7, 2006
  8. Pegleg