    Can anyone explain?
    Thanks
    Nick

    Nick Worley, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Nick Worley

    Rifleman Guest

    "Nick Worley"
    That's the connection speed between your PC and the modem - NOT between the
    modem and your ISP! And it's a theoretical maximum as well.

    Rifleman, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Nick Worley

    why? Guest

    The 115kbps is the serial port line speed, from the PC to the modem.
    http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml#dte
    It's not the modem to the ISP connection which is the 56k.

    It also doesn't help when some drivers show the line speed or others the
    ISP speed.

    On older PCs guessing now +6 or 7 years, the 8250 UART (serial chip)
    http://webopedia.com/TERM/U/UART.html had a 1byte buffer, newer
    16550 UART's have a wopping great 16byte buffer.

    This meant that a long long time ago the PC/Modem speed had to be set to
    match the ISP speeds. With the new chips, you can set the serial port to
    the max 115k for best performance, if it works.

    Me

    why?, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Nick Worley

    Bob_R Guest

    "Nick Worley"
    Nick,
    If I remember correctly, there is an AT command to tell the modem to "show
    true connect speed" and the command varies from manufacturer to
    manufacturer. Naturally.
    For example, I think USRobotics used 'AT #a3'.
    If you know your modem/chip set model, maybe you can find the right command
    here http://www.modemhelp.net/quickref.shtml.
    Bob

    Bob_R, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Nick Worley