    And by this time the 10d mkII will be a 1.3 8MP digic2 model with
    smaller buffer that the 1D mkII.

    sigh!

    Jason Wilson, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Jason Wilson

    Mark B. Guest

    Why should we?
    Almost certainly.
    I highly doubt it'll be a 1.3x sensor, otherwise it'll be a 1D-class camera
    with a much higher price to match. I think what we'll see is a 8 - 10mp
    1.6x crop, with probably a larger buffer and faster frame rate.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 13, 2004

  3. Jason Wilson

    Christian Guest

    I don't think there's any reason to believe that Canon have reserved any
    particular sensor size for any particular class of camera. In fact, I think
    it quite likely that eventually the larger sensors will trickle down to the
    lower-end models. Whether that will happen in the next year or not is more
    questionable.

    Having said that, if Canon makes the 10D replacement have an 8-10MP
    resolution then they're going to see an increase in noise which is the
    current 10D's big selling point. It'll be an interesting trade-off to see
    what happens.

    Christian, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Jason Wilson

    Mark B. Guest

    I agree about larger sensors making it to lower models, I just don't see a
    it happening this year.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 14, 2004
  5. Jason Wilson

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I want to see a Canon EOS body with a small 5MP to 8MP sensor like they
    have in the the prosumer cameras. I could put my 300mm f4L IS on it
    without a teleconverter and tap all the resolution the lens can muster.

    JPS, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Jason Wilson

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: "Mark B."
    Digital cameras have reached the point that personal computers attained years
    ago. Developments are coming so fast and furious that many people often
    hesitate to buy, instead waiting on that great new model that'll be coming out
    next year (or month). The only problem with that philosophy is that you'll
    never be happy since a newer ("better") model is always on the horizon. It's
    like trying to get to the end of the world.

    Buy the best you can afford and then start saving again. In the meantime, be
    happy with what you got.
    That's what I say.

    -Annika -----> always spends more than I can afford

    Annika1980, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Jason Wilson

    TenKMan Guest

    This is a smart post. If you always wait for the ultimate camera, you
    won't ever make a bad purchase and you will rarely make a bad picture.
    Another redeeming quality I can admire.

    TenKMan, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Jason Wilson

    The Dave© Guest

    That always makes sense. Unless, of course, the big show with the big
    announcements are to happen THIS WEEK. Then, it's not a big deal to
    wait and see what the announcements are going to be. Absent that, your
    advice is sound.

    The Dave©, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Best program is to look at what is out there, let the early adopters
    wrestle all the details out of it, and see what would be best for you.
    Then buy the best you an afford, and not worry about tomorrow. I am
    doing fine with my Oly E20, until I can afford some amazing new 10 to 16
    MP super camera. Beyond that, I wouldn't think we need any more pixels
    because of file size and print size needs and just plain common sense.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Feb 14, 2004
  10. Jason Wilson

    MarkH Guest

    (Annika1980) wrote in
    I have to agree.

    I got a 10D last June, it is vastly superior to the 1D MkII, simply because
    the 1D MkII can’t take photos, no camera that is not available yet can.
    (It’s also superior on the price)

    I bought my 10D in 2003 and I am happy to not replace it till 2008. Sure a
    better version will be released in 2005 (or whenever), but that camera will
    be crap compared to what I’ll buy in 2008. I paid good money for my 10D,
    why shouldn’t I aim to get a good 5 years of use out of it?

    Obviously there are people who bought the D30 then upgraded to the D60 and
    then upgraded to the 10D, they may buy the next model released, but that is
    a lot of spending and not everyone can afford that.

    Regardless of what new cameras come out and what features they come with,
    my 10D is a good performer and does what I need. It takes good photos and
    that is the main feature, it also focuses fast and has low lag. I don’t
    see the 10D as getting in the way of me taking photos (unlike my previous
    CP950 which was WAY to limiting) so I don’t feel the need to be pining for
    the next model to come out.

    Note:
    If I win lotto then everything I just said will be thrown out and I’ll
    visit my camera store and put the 1D MkII on order.

    MarkH, Feb 14, 2004
  11. Jason Wilson

    Mark B. Guest

    You want them to go backwards? I don't see that happening at all.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 14, 2004
  12. Jason Wilson

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    It's not really backwards. There is a compromise made when you make big
    pixels, and an extra body that could out-resolve your lenses would come
    in handy some times. Higher definition for the sharp telephotos,
    tremendous DOF with a shorter focal length, etc, etc.

    JPS, Feb 14, 2004
  13. Jason Wilson

    Doug Warner Guest

    It's called the 1D Mk II

    It's just a camera, not a religion!

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are scammers, avoid them!

    Doug Warner, Feb 15, 2004
  14. Jason Wilson

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: Doug Warner
    Blasphemy!

    Annika1980, Feb 15, 2004
  15. Jason Wilson

    Webrosita Guest

    Hi,

    Actually the Canon Mark II is the successor to the Canon 1D.
    Does anyone know what the price is going to be? I check all the news releases
    and could not find it.

    It does look like an awsome camera

    Webrosita, Feb 15, 2004
  16. Jason Wilson

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill Hilton, Feb 15, 2004
  17. Jason Wilson

    Doug Warner Guest

    True, but the 1D, having lower resolution and higher noise was not in
    consideration for most people looking to move up from the 10D.

    Now, the MKII is better in most respects than the 10D, and more people
    will considier it an updrade to the 10D.
    I don't think I'll make the jump, since the 1D cameras are just too
    heavy for me.

    Doug Warner, Feb 15, 2004
  18. Jason Wilson

    Christian Guest

    No one who knows anything about Canon's camera line up will consider the
    1Dv2 an upgrade to the 10D. They are clearly in different classes (in fact,
    they're two classes separate), they have very different capabilities, are
    aimed at totally different markets and there is a massive difference in
    their prices. The original 1D was clearly more capable than the 10D in
    almost every respect (larger sensor, faster shooting, better AF, better AE,
    better body) and the 1Dv2 simply corrects the two limitations of the
    original 1D (didn't have a Canon sensor and was "only" 4 megapixels).

    Christian, Feb 16, 2004