10D price drop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by this old user, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. www.dpreview.com is showing street price at $1374 and BH Photo is now
    selling it for $1379.

    A local camera store was selling it this weekend for $1499 and offered to
    pay sales tax. Now I know why!
    this old user, Jun 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. It's at EOL. Which if you don't know is End Of Life. Expect it's replacement
    to be unveiled at Photokina this Fall.
    Darrell Larose, Jun 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. this old user

    Bryce Guest

    O crap! End of life? Now I've gotta get the new one because this won't be
    "good enough" anymore.
    Bryce, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Of course, what some folks don't take into account is that if a replacement
    product is offered this fall, it will likely be 6 months after that before
    all the bugs and kinks are worked out. Particularly true if the product
    features radical design changes. So those who are waiting for September or
    October for a new product may not want to be on the frontlines when the
    product becomes available and may end up waiting for until Jan or Feb anyway
    before taking the plunge.
    gilbert grape, Jun 6, 2004
  5. this old user

    O.D. Guest

    That's not what Darrell really meant, is it?

    It just means they're not gonna make it any more.

    And I can get it for less if I wanted.

    (Such pessimism! ^__^)
    O.D., Jun 6, 2004
  6. Canon has shown short lifetimes on their DSLRs, D30,D60 both had about a
    year on the product line. I can see a 8 MO replacement, perhaps baed on the
    EOS 3. The 300D (Digital Rebel) and 10D are too close in price now.
    Darrell Larose, Jun 6, 2004
  7. this old user

    SteveJ Guest

    I would like to see a 10-13Mp in a full size for under 1K
    SteveJ, Jun 6, 2004
  8. this old user

    Lionel Guest

    Same here. I'd also like a pony.
    Lionel, Jun 6, 2004
  9. I'd prefer 14.5 MP in an EOS 3 body for US$3,000.

    You can keep the pony, though.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jun 6, 2004
  10. this old user

    Prometheus Guest

    Unless the 1D is also replaced you are more likely to see a 35mm size
    6Mpix sensor, the reduced noise and access to wide angle at sensible
    prices would interest me; then again my crystal ball has never been
    Prometheus, Jun 6, 2004
  11. this old user

    Lionel Guest

    Ta. I should get enough for it to buy a 1DmkII.
    Lionel, Jun 6, 2004
  12. this old user

    Mark B. Guest

    You'll be waiting a while.

    Mark B., Jun 6, 2004
  13. You're a better man than I: I can't even lift a 1DmkII.

    That's why I want an EOS 3 based camera.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jun 6, 2004
  14. this old user

    Lionel Guest

    You obviously need more exercise.
    I was shooting equestrian events recently for an aquaintance, using my
    10D (plus Big Ed), & his 70-200/F2.8L + 1.4x converter. After a day of
    near continuous shooting, my arms were bloody tired. After the second or
    third such event, I hardly noticed the weight.
    Wimp! ;)
    Lionel, Jun 6, 2004
  15. this old user

    Lionel Guest

    Yes, I think he'll have better luck with the pony. ;)
    Lionel, Jun 6, 2004
  16. Now if he wanted the feature set of the EOS 3 I could understand ;) BTW a
    friend just got the 1DmkII, wow!
    Darrell Larose, Jun 6, 2004
  17. How long do you guys think it will take?

    When Steve's specs, quite similar to my own, are met; I'll probably
    retire my FD kit. OTOH, at the current rate of progress, my Canon may
    have turned to dust by then....

    Greg Campbell, Jun 6, 2004
  18. this old user

    Mark B. Guest

    Best guess - at least 5 years. As long as the 1.6x crop DReb sells well,
    Canon has no reason at all to rush a full frame at the same price.
    Mark B., Jun 6, 2004
  19. this old user

    Bryce Guest

    I know. I know.

    Bryce, Jun 6, 2004
  20. this old user

    tim Guest

    They'll have the incentive if the competition releases one.
    But as they don't know when the competition will do this
    they would be well advised to be doing the development
    now (as they seem to have the lead it would be foolish to
    give it up) and having developed the solution it makes sense
    to release it as a product to recoup the development costs
    This is another matter. Obviously it won't be the same

    tim, Jun 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.