10d group portrait shots, flesh tones with strobe lights ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ole uncle ted, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. im looking for suggestions as to the best way to capture flesh tones using
    strobe lights(alien bees 1600 w , 42 in umbrellas) with a group of 25
    people,using my canon 10d and a 24-70 2.8l.

    i was geting some great shots yesterday at a wrestling tournament using a
    backdrop , same lense as above and shoting 125shutter, 8.0 aperture ,100 iso
    with the lights set @1/4 power .
    when all was said and done my friend said my focus was great but the flesh
    tones could have ben better.

    it seems it is forever a chalenge to capture them just right .
    do you guys have any set methods you use , editing = so much %
    magenta,cyan,yelow and black etc afterwords in photoshop (my friend does the
    editing using photoshop 6)

    ive seen a guy from a local newspaper adjust the settings ,sharpening ,etc in
    the camera thru the functions option .
    ive never played with that area and was looking for some insights , when to us
    e them ,when not , and why ?.

    thanks much
    teddy

    Ole uncle ted, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Two notes. White balance & post exposure processing.

    Good Luck

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Ole uncle ted

    KBob Guest

    Shoot in RAW mode. Also get yourself a flash meter so that you can
    quickly test your flash exposure beforehand. It's no fun trying to
    correct group shots after you've made them, and these are usually the
    pictures that you will have the most demand for.

    KBob, Feb 9, 2004
  4. the wb setting is for auto ?,
    i never really messed with the white balance ,any tips ?
    irish math cool, are you from ireland .
    teddy
    I WROTE

    Ole uncle ted, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Ole uncle ted

    George Kerby Guest

    Set your wb to 5500. With the "auto" mode on, the camera is adjusting to
    ambient lighting which is generally warmer than the strobe (Daylight) temp.
    If there is no "5500" then use "Daylight". The less "auto" stuff you use
    make for better pictures. AND it ain't easy to get 25 people done right with
    artificial lighting. Shoot as much as you think they will stand for - the
    tell them "only 1 more" and shoot three. ;-)

    George Kerby, Feb 9, 2004
  6. Setting the white balance to match the color of your strobes should
    result in better results.
    I am both Irish and American and while I spend time in both countries,
    most of my life has been spent in the US.

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Ole uncle ted

    Bruce Wilson Guest

    When you say wrestling meet, I assume you are talking about a gym with
    sodium vapor lights or the like. I don't know the tech specs but from
    experience you may need to punch up your strobes a bit more as they are
    compeating with the off color lighting from the ceiling lights. I am new to
    digital and haven't played with the white balance much but it seems that if
    you shoot for your strobes and they don't over come the off color ambient it
    will throw the skin tones. I have seen a much more technical discussion
    about light temp, but it was way beyond me.

    Bruce Wilson, Feb 10, 2004