    or your eye cannot pick up the extra detail of all the added pixels. This is
    something

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13586

    zipdisk, Jun 23, 2006

  2. zipdisk

    Mutley Guest

    The trouble is my pockets not big enough for it..

    Mutley, Jun 23, 2006

  3. zipdisk

    Mark C Guest

    wrote in

    Yes.
    Unless you can afford an absolutely huge screen, 720p seems to be
    adequate.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html
    | Comparing a 50-inch 1080p DLP set to a 50-inch 720p DLP set, for
    | example, he says you'll be hard-pressed to notice more detail
    | with 1080i sources, especially from farther than 8 feet away.

    Basically, to get any benefit from a 1080 HD TV, when viewed at (say)
    3 metres, it has to be larger than (computing...) ~130cmv on the
    diagonal (50 inch).

    This seems like an outlandish claim, but if I trust the maths (which
    tally with web sites I've read), then it is true.

    The maths is this: the average human eye can only resolve features as
    large as 1 arc-minute (1/60 of a degree).
    Plugging in the figures for a 720p TV, gives these set sizes
    (diagonals) at these viewing distances:

    2.5 metres 107 cmv (42")
    3 metres 128 cmv (50")
    3.5 metres 150 cmv (59")
    4 metres 171 cmv (67")

    These figures are the points at which the pixels on the screen are
    right at the limit of what your eye can see. If the TV is any
    smaller, then the pixels are below that limit. No point in getting a
    1080 TV, if the 720p TV pixels are already at the limit.

    (Of course, it is not quite this simple...
    http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF.html#Human_visual_acuity)

    Mark

    Mark C, Jun 24, 2006
  4. zipdisk

    GraB Guest

    One of the many reasons why many people believe the new HD formats
    won't take off.

    GraB, Jun 24, 2006