    may not want to go with the macro.

    BTW, I would like to take distant and close up shots.

    JImmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Jimmy Smith

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Jimmy Smith

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "Jimmy Smith"
    The macro is a stop slower, weighs more and costs more. You're paying a
    premium for the ability to focus down to life size.

    That said, it's a premium I was quite willing to pay as I have the 100 mm f/2.8
    macro myself (and the 85 f/1.8 for a faster lens). But if you don't need the
    macro function the 100 f/2 is a better play.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 23, 2004
  4. I also consider the 100mm F2 my favorite lens for my Canons. It is sharp,
    fast and usable in many situations. Depends, if you need a macro, the 100
    F2 is no macro. One bad ass portrait lens though.

    Robert Meyers, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Jimmy Smith

    Skip M Guest

    Actually the only thing you're giving up is 1/3 stop, and you are getting a
    better lens, overall.
    But a 100mm lens isn't going to give you a whole lot of reach...

    Skip M, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Jimmy Smith

    Skip M Guest

    The macro is an f2.8.

    Skip M, Jun 23, 2004
  7. Jimmy Smith

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "Skip M"
    It's f/2 vs f/2.8, which is a full stop ...

    Bill Hilton, Jun 23, 2004