$100 digital camera for grandson?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Kiene, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Bill Kiene

    Bill Kiene Guest

    Hi All,

    Is there any digital camera around $100US for my 10 year old grandson who
    actually knows how to use a computer fairly well?

    It would be mostly for emails and some picture printing.

    Thanks for any input.

    --
    Bill Kiene

    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    www.kiene.com

    www.kiene.com

    Bill Kiene, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Bill Kiene

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    It's very hard to find anything that isn't just a toy
    in this prince range. Don't buy no-brand cameras.

    I suggest the Olympus D390 (2 megapixels, 2.5x
    zoom) --definitely a best buy-- for a little over $100.

    $118.95 from Adorama

    http://tinyurl.com/ydsw

    $129.95 from B&H

    http://tinyurl.com/ydsq

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Bill Kiene

    Jeremy Guest

    --
    x-no-archive: yes
    I saw one for $79 at Best Buy. Low resolution and no zoom, of course.

    Jeremy, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Bill Kiene

    Jerome Bigge Guest

    I have a Kodak CX6200 which sells for about
    $100 in a lot of places. This is a fixed focus
    2 megapixel camera using 2 AA batteries.
    The camera has internal memory that will
    allow it to take 9-10 pictures without using
    a memory card. I suggest buying a card
    however, which will add about $30 to the
    total cost. If you want to have auto focus
    and macro, Olympus makes the D-390,
    which should be available for about $120.

    Jerome Bigge
    Member, Muskegon Astronomical Society
    Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
    Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

    Jerome Bigge, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Bill Kiene

    Sy Pappas Guest

    You increase your choices for a name-brand auto-focus zoom camera for
    that price if you consider factory refurbished models. They come in
    sealed boxes and are "new" as far as appearance is concerned.

    Sy

    Sy Pappas, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Bill Kiene

    Double D Guest

    There are, but he might be better of with a nice film camera like the
    Olympus Stylus Epic. It sells for about $80 US. The low end digital
    cameras in this price range do not perform very well.

    For emails....possibly. For printing....the results may not be as good as
    you may expect.
    I've seen the results from this camera and I was not impressed, even at
    the given price point. The skin tones are really unrealistic. Here is a
    full review of this camera:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D390/D39A.HTM

    I am not trying to discourage you from buying him a camera, but you would
    probably need to spend closer to $200, especially if he will be printing.
    The Canon A60 or Nikon Coopix 2100 are good cameras in this price range.
    Reviews:

    http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-a60/a60-review.html

    http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/nikon-cp2100/cp2100-review.html

    DD

    Double D, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Bill Kiene

    Kirk Davison Guest

    Ritz has Nikon coolpix 2500 camera that I just bought for my son right at
    $100 (these are refurbs but seam very nice. My mom just bought one also.
    The results have been amazing for the money

    Kirk Davison, Dec 17, 2003