    searching them. Only later, when you’ve built up some confidence, should you
    look at downloading and building from source packages. Never trust binary-
    only software.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    8: ...Nor should you use spaces in filenames...

    Huh? Why not? I do, now and then.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 15, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    No, No! show them that desktops are all about, ready to be recalled at a
    clack or two. For me Linux's virtual desktops is the selling point. Want to
    clear the decks, find and empty desktop in the taskbar and off you go. Ms
    Windows does frustrate me so in this area.

    5: Sending OpenOffice documents to Microsoft Office users in the default
    format

    I see this so often. New Linux users are proud of the strides they have made
    but dumbfounded (and sometimes turned back to Windows) because the people
    they share files with can’t read their formats. Remember, Microsoft products
    are not good at getting along with other operating systems and other
    applications. Make sure your new users are saving in file formats that are
    readable by the Microsoft equivalents.

    Unquote.

    My response. If you can not read my open standards document then you better
    do something about it. Ms Windows attitude in the mirror some would say.
    Karma, is the other word for it

    Gordon, May 16, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    What about a GUI root?

    Gib Bogle, May 16, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    I think multiple desktop actually cause more clicking around. I tried to
    use them but I was always click, click, clicking to find things.

    If they work for you, fine. But for most people, they don't work.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 16, 2010
  6. Which is the “most widely used (and thus the de-facto standard) document
    format� Is it Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint or
    something else? Which version of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft
    PowerPoint or something else? Can people using Microsoft Office 2007 or
    later happily send out their documents and assume that everybody else will
    be able to read them?

    Is, in fact, the volume of Office documents as large as the total number of
    HTML pages in the world? If not, then HTML would be more likely to be the
    “most widely used (and thus the de-facto standard) document formatâ€, would
    it not? And that is far from a proprietary format.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 17, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Start Key + E does similar, but it is still too hard to find things, the
    images are so small.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 17, 2010
  8. But those are Microsoft Office 2003 formats. What about Office 2007 or
    later? Are they supposed to downgrade to Office 2003, then?
    You haven’t noticed the popularity of Web-based apps, then?
    Then how come so much of it works so well in so many different browsers, on
    so many different platforms? Can you say the same for multi-application,
    multi-platform support of Microsoft Office formats?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 17, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    However, they are not the default file formats of the current version of M$ Office - a non-standard XML-
    based file format (docx etc) is.

    And, the next version of M$ Office will have a different (non standard - "transitional") file format again.

    If users of those two versions of M$ Office save their documents in their respective default file formats
    then they are using non-standard file formats and can't reasonably expect other people to read them.

    Nobody is suggesting that HTML is a spreadsheet format or a format for slide-show presentations.
    Lawrence was (rightly) pointing out that there are considerably more documents in HTML format than in
    any other format and therefore the normal/standard document format is HTML.

    Assessed by numerical quantity this is undeniably the case.

    Sweetpea, May 17, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    Which requires knowledge and an administrator to install. The use
    of .pdf files to transfer documents increased greatly owing to so many
    computers barfing on .docx files. MS also took its time making the
    add-on to Office 2003 available. I also hear complaints from my
    family about formatting changing using the add-on.

    Regards, John

    John Little, May 17, 2010
  11. The real question here, should be ... is that a good thing ? I'm already
    on record as saying it isn't. Open document formats are the only sane way to
    go. :)
    I was pleased to see the SSC saying something similar recently. Hoora !

    Bruce Sinclair, May 18, 2010
  12. In message
    If you can’t get a guarantee of preservation of formatting from Microsoft,
    what’s the point in continuing to pay them money? You might as well give
    OpenOffice.org a try.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 18, 2010
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    Been using it for years myself, before I moved to Linux at home, and I
    prefer it now. It saved me a lot of grief once. Office costs $20 for
    home use through corporate deals, and at that price I once thought it
    worth it. However, that was $20 we (as a family) paid to assist a
    pernicious monopoly, I'll oppose it next time.

    Regards, John

    John Little, May 18, 2010
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    I was talking about having Word 2003 and getting a .docx file, not the
    same.

    Regards, John

    John Little, May 18, 2010
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    Thank you for one of nz.comp's badges of honour, way OTT attacks from
    impossible. (I just need to get a crap mark from Woger, now.)
    Click, install, done is how malware spreads. I thought one couldn't
    install stuff in Windows unless one is an administrator, and that we
    educate users not to install stuff just because something they got in
    an e-mail told them to.
    But not so popular for simple documents from organizations like
    schools, churches, and sports teams until .docx came along (is my
    suggestion).

    Thanks again, John

    John Little, May 18, 2010
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Doe Guest

    Your point?

    Dave Doe, May 18, 2010
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Doe Guest

    If the user doesn't run as admin privilege in Windows (you do by default
    in Win XP and earlier - a long held critisism of all MS OS's before
    Vista Win7 etc), right click the installer and "run as" (an
    administrative user).

    Dave Doe, May 18, 2010
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    If you just get the odd attachment, one easy way to view or convert them
    is to upload them to Google Docs.
    A good way to share them too, and convert them into web pages.
    I see there is now an extension available for OpenOffice that imports
    and exports directly to and from Google Docs and Zoho.

    victor, May 18, 2010
  19. Fine, but anybody who can save a docx can save a doc instead with one extra
    click and a bit of a scroll. Or easily set it to default to doc[/QUOTE]

    Agreed. That typed, many people say "word document" ... which makes me think
    that they think there's only one format for such a thing. That is backed up
    by the number of times I've heard people say something like ... "word is
    broken, it won't open my document", only to find out that it was simply
    version incompatibility.
    People really should know a little about things they use. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 19, 2010
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Brocker Guest

    My biggest problem is that my Wordstar doesn't seem to open anything
    anymore so I agree all these evolving formats are a real pain. I'm
    with LDO on this one we should never have moved past plain text files
    and edlin!

    Brocker, May 19, 2010