    Wisconsin
    Yesterday I came home to find my laptop (the laptop reviewed here: http://velocityreviews.com/review11.php) dead... All that I can do for it is transfer the old files...
    For those wondering, it turns on, yet doesn't post and nothing is on the screen. When I hooked the HD to my desktop, the HD blue screens and restarts.

    Silverstrand, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Silverstrand

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    RIP Mr Laptop

    Bio-Hazard, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    any idea what killed it? personal mistake or just something rooted itself without your help?

    XhArD, Oct 9, 2005
  4. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i reckon u mighta had a surge???? or is US power stable enough?
    Laptops dont take kindly to surges... mainly because its all low voltage stuff inside.
    So RIP Mr Laptop.

    unholy, Oct 9, 2005
  5. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Friends, we are gathered here today to remember a fallen comrad in arms. Let us take a moment of silence and bow our heads for this valiant laptop who was taken long before his time.
    <bowing head>

    The Modfather, Oct 9, 2005
  6. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Let this day be known as Mr Laptop Day, we shall all pay tribute by not working, and partying as he was such a good laptop!

    unholy, Oct 9, 2005
  7. Silverstrand

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    I have no idea what killed it. It worked perfectly fine when I used it in the morning, then I come home and it doesn't work... No surges during the day (and it is on a surge protector anyways).

    Silverstrand, Oct 9, 2005
  8. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    mabye overheated?, was it on or off when u left it?

    unholy, Oct 10, 2005
  9. Silverstrand

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    It was off. I can't leave computers on all day, my parents freak because of power bills.

    Silverstrand, Oct 10, 2005
  10. Silverstrand

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    When in doubt...

    ...remove the battery, wait a minute, and replace the battery. Try holding down the insert key a few times during the initial boot cycle to see if you get video and into the bios. Maybe the backlight for the screen burned out. Try hooking up an external monitor. Your hard drive probably would not boot another machine, since it looks for certain hardware to be present. Let us know how these checks work out.
    And if that doesn't do it.....you know who to blame!!!!!! :p

    bigal, Oct 10, 2005
  11. Silverstrand

    PUTALE

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    i had my desktop died with similar sympoton when I turn the system on and nothing, no beep or anything on the screen. Turns out that cpu died. Maybe that's where the problem is.

    PUTALE, Oct 10, 2005
  12. Silverstrand

    Frankie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2005
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same problem with my previous PC but it was a dead mobo

    Frankie, Oct 10, 2005
  13. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Did you also check to make sure that maybe it's not the power supply? Unplug it and try booting off the battery. If that works, it's likely that's the cause. (An easy one to check and a less expensive fix too). It could also be the battery, if you have a spare, swap it out. Either of those could cause it to not turn over at all.
    Meanwhile, we'll continue to mourn.

    The Modfather, Oct 10, 2005
  14. Silverstrand

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the ideas, yet I've already tried all of those. Only thing I've yet to do is reseat everything. I'll do that later today.
    I did get all my files off of the HD though, yet I lost all of my emails and contacts since I can't figure out how to access them...

    Silverstrand, Oct 10, 2005
  15. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    :|... theres a file in ur Doc's and Settings or where ever u set it up (thats with both Outlook and TBird.)
    Have u tried a different power source... such as a AC - DC - AC... like a UPS...

    unholy, Oct 10, 2005
  16. Silverstrand

    Flukemanguy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    0
    omg poor lappy!
    When's the funeral? I wanna come!
    I hate it when things like this happen.
    Happened to my old computer, well worse happened, everything would boot, exept the HDD, the Sys Fan, The CD-R Drive, The DVD-R Drive and the Video :?
    (w00t full page to me!)

    Flukemanguy, Oct 15, 2005
  17. Silverstrand

    XhArD