    I've bought supposed to fit a different more modern main board that has a
    different length PCI slot? When it's fitted, it's about a quarter of an
    inch too short and makes the PC hang on startup.

    Brian Ostler, Jun 6, 2009

  2. Brian Ostler

    Ken Guest

    No, the cards can vary in size and NIC's are quite small.

    Ken, Jun 6, 2009

  3. Brian Ostler

    Geo Guest

    The pinouts are described here:-
    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_PCI_Pinout.html
    and I suspect you have slots at positions 12,13 and 50,51.

    also at:-
    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_PCI.html
    Scroll down to:-
    PCI Bus Connector Manufacturers
    shows the dimension of the socket and the meaning of the 1 or two keyways.
    I am not clear which board dimension you mean when you say "shorter" - as
    opposed to "taller"? Height does not matter.
    The picture on the ebay link looks like a normal sized pcb to me - I have a
    similar-looking D-Link network card in front of me now.

    Geo, Jun 7, 2009
  4. Brian Ostler

    Adrian C Guest

    The card has two slots as it is designed as a Universal 3.3V & 5V card
    to fit either 5V or 3.3V PCI slots. Your K7T motherboard features 5V slots.

    Have a look here for details of the keying.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PCI_Keying.png

    Why it does not work is some other issue, I'm afraid. I take it by
    shorter you are refering to the vertical height, an attribute which has
    no relevence to this issue.

    Try a linux live CD as a test to see if it can actually be found, and is
    just hiding from Windows to annoy ye.

    Adrian C, Jun 8, 2009