    connect a standard DSL Router?

    The above are of course for different installations.

    Cheers,

    Joshua Phillips, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Joshua Phillips

    David Wade Guest

    Why do you need routing functionality? Generally you use the same IP range
    on the wirless and the LAN segment so you only need bridging, which does
    work on most of these beasts.
    The NTL network is actually an amalagation of several older franchises. So
    depending on area you may get a seperate cable modem, or you may use a modem
    built into a set top box. I beleive that you always get RJ45 and you may get
    USB but you need to check for your area.

    David Wade, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Joshua Phillips

    Lurch Guest

    I assume when you say router you mean network hub? The router bit is
    between you and the outside world, it doesn't affect internal
    networks. The network will work fine with no ADSL.
    Pretty much, yes. Although it would be wise to check exactly what is
    available from the cable provider.

    Lurch, Apr 6, 2004
  4. Joshua Phillips

    David Wade Guest

    I assume he though you needed routing to get from the wired part to the
    wirless part, but of course thats normally bridged,

    David Wade, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Joshua Phillips

    Lurch Guest

    Or that, either way the network will work without ADSL being present.

    Lurch, Apr 6, 2004
  6. Cheers everyone - by "router" I meant the non-modem bit - which I now
    understand includes the hub component as well. From what you all say,
    the unit will network together pc's without the adsl connection being
    there, but will the DHCP server assign ip addresses automatically to
    the connected pc's or is that not an issue if I merely want to share
    files / printers etc between the pc's?

    Joshua Phillips, Apr 7, 2004
  7. Joshua Phillips

    Lurch Guest

    No, the 'hub bit' connects the wireless and wired connected machines
    together. The 'router bit' goes between the network and the ADSL.
    Yes, the DHCP will work fine without ADSL. DHCP is not an issue if you
    have fixed IP addresses on the LAN, i.e. you have told each connected
    machine what IP address to use. The DHCP on the router will assign the
    IP addresses to the LAN connected machines if you have opted to tell
    them to 'obtain an IP address automatically'.

    Lurch, Apr 7, 2004