1/4" threaded inserts in UK

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bugbear, Oct 1, 2007.

  1. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
    often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

    This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
    but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
    size cameras.

    Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
    connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
    to find a source for these:


    Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
    threaded inserts etc.

    Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
    for anything similar in the UK with sane
    prices (including postage)?

    bugbear, Oct 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. bugbear

    Stuart Noble Guest

    A thread adapter for the camera maybe?
    Stuart Noble, Oct 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. bugbear

    George Guest

    That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a quote on
    selected items.

    Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK
    George, Oct 1, 2007
  4. bugbear

    tomcas Guest

    The 1/4 -20 UNC thread used in camera mounts is an Unified National
    Coarse thread having a 60 degree included thread angle with flat crest
    and root forms. The 1/4" Whitworth thread has the same basic diameter
    and pitch but the thread form has a 55 degree included angle with
    radiused crest and root forms. The two are not the same and while the
    threads may mate the strength of the mismatched threads is severely
    tomcas, Oct 1, 2007
  5. bugbear

    irwell Guest

    That's interesting information, is the 1/4-20 UNC commonly available
    in hardware stores?
    irwell, Oct 1, 2007
  6. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Indeed. So far I don't even have a UK
    source to compare to!!

    I've ordered from Lee Valley before; tremendously
    nice people to deal with.

    But going transatlantic for a nut!?!

    That's just *wrong*

    bugbear, Oct 1, 2007
  7. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Probably in the USA; it's an American standard.

    bugbear, Oct 1, 2007
  8. bugbear

    George Guest

    Well buy a few pieces...you never know when you might need em. :)
    George, Oct 1, 2007
  9. bugbear

    John Bean Guest

    This has come up many times, with the inevitable pedantic
    arguments. For camera purposes the two threads are
    interchangeable; I have various camera-related 1/4" threaded
    items and some are 1/4W and others are UNC, depending on
    where and when they were made.

    There certainly is a difference between the two, but it's an
    insignificant one in this particular case; there is more
    variation in manufacturing tolerances than in the spec
    differences between the two threads. Interestingly my
    pre-war Leica ball head uses Whitworth threads, as does my
    modern Manfrotto 709B table-top "digi" tripod. Most other
    stuff I have is UNC, but its a moot point as I said.

    B&Q Warehouse used to sell 1/4W studding and SS bolts and
    maybe still do (I've bought both there), and 1/4W roofing
    bolts and nuts are still available in many hardware shops.
    John Bean, Oct 1, 2007
  10. bugbear

    'Mike' Guest

    1/4 Whitworth nuts and bolts? Look in Dad's/Granddad's shed/garage. I have
    just been in the garage and fetched my old tins down and found 1/4 Whitworth
    nuts and bolts with no trouble at all. :))

    'Mike', Oct 1, 2007
  11. bugbear

    R Guest

    R, Oct 1, 2007
  12. Could also try 'Tracys Tools' for taps and die.
    Carl Neil Ellwood, Oct 1, 2007
  13. That's metrication for you :)
    Frank Erskine, Oct 1, 2007
  14. What's wrong with buying them from LeeValley?
    Dennis Pogson, Oct 1, 2007
  15. It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth - but the diameter and threads
    per inch are the same. The thread profile is different, though, so best to
    use the correct thing.

    Microphone stands use the same size thread - so that gives you another

    But classic cars do too - so if you want nuts and bolts you could try a
    supplier for those.

    One is Mr Fast'ner who advertises them in a variety of materials. No
    e-mail I can find - only a phone number. 02476 688000 for a free catalogue.
    Dave Plowman (News), Oct 1, 2007
  16. bugbear

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Oct 1, 2007
  17. bugbear

    Mark Guest

    I heard that many lamps that have the screw-on lampshades also will
    work - have not been able to verify it
    Mark, Oct 2, 2007
  18. bugbear

    tomcas Guest

    tomcas, Oct 2, 2007
  19. bugbear

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
    Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
    that the standard could have changed since then,
    but it would be nice to have a reference.

    Peter Irwin, Oct 2, 2007
  20. bugbear

    Pat Guest

    If you really need an assortment of nuts and bolts and washers and
    such, let me know through this thread or through an email. For a few
    buck I can go to the local hardware store and grab some stuff and you
    can reimburse me through paypal or something.
    Pat, Oct 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.