1.2Mp Digital Camera (with LCD) for under $20

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Owamanga, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Owamanga

    Owamanga Guest

    This might be interesting for some 'high-risk' situations.

    I noticed a couple of days ago, that CVS are selling two types of
    Digital reusable cameras. One (it's about $12) has no LCD screen, the
    other is about $18 and has a small color LCD screen for viewing the
    last image taken and allowing you to delete it. Okay, these have been
    around for a while I guess, but I'd previously ignored them.

    Ritz, Wolf etc also sell it.

    So, it crossed my mind - why return the camera? Digital and one-use
    doesn't seem right. And at $18 for a digital camera - well, I won't be
    sorry if my 'Underwater Digital Project' leaks destroying the
    contents, or my 'Camera on a Kite' makes a dive for the rocks - I'll
    only have lost between $12 and $18.

    Anyway, for those of you interested, this guy successfully hacked the
    non-LCD version (it apparently uses standard CF directory structure
    and interfaces with USB), and is working on the LCD version hack:

    http://www.maushammer.com/systems/dakotadigital/lcd.html

    Someone else wrote a replacement firmware for the non-lcd version that
    removes the 25 picture limit and unlocks some other crippled features.

    People have already written software for Mac, Linux and Windows to
    read images, control the camera and even use it as a webcam (most
    pages linked from the site above, or google for it).

    Owamanga, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Owamanga

    Big Bill Guest

    Why return the camera?
    Maybe because you're not the only one out there, and there are a *lot*
    of people who don't want to bother with the processing aspect that
    digital implies.
    The idea of digital (with it's implied (thought not always deliverd,
    especially in such low-$ cameras) improved quality) isn't always
    perceived the same way *we* perceive it. There are a lot of people out
    there (even in the US) who just don't have a computer, and don't want
    one. For them, a returnable digital camera can make a lot of sense.

    Big Bill, Nov 16, 2004