    had an American accent asking me if I had a contract or pay as you go phone.

    I just put the phone down, I have no time to waste with people like this.

    Wonder if anyone else has received the same, or an idea who they are?

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 14, 2006

  2. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Martin² Guest

    That's what I was afraid of: the telemarketing bums calling via VoIP at
    virtually no cost !
    And there isn't anything we can do about it, except find out who they are
    and complain, but as they are likely to call from abroad, there will be no
    help from anyone.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 15, 2006

  3. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    GwG Guest

    What a defeatist attitude.
    If the telemarketing calls are concerning a company that is resident in
    the UK, then they are covered by the TPS rules in the UK, and any
    breaches carry the same penalties. If the calls are from another
    country, a lot of countries now have laws against telemarketing, and I
    am sure they would be interested if informed of any breaches, but if we
    all give up and don't complain, then we can be sure that these calls
    will increase.

    GwG, Jan 15, 2006
  4. They may not have known it was delivered over VoIP and called the POTS
    number at the same rate as any other number.
    I gather there's some sort of progress with the Florida phone
    spammers, but I've not heard much recently. There was presumably
    enough margin in their scheme that they could happily pay for lengthy
    calls to the UK.

    Peter Corlett, Jan 15, 2006