    Dave Guest

    Hello, just looking at Google voice and they seem to a good price at $0.02
    per minute is this good or is there any better offers?

    Dave, Dec 1, 2010

  2. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    Hello, just looking at Google voice and they seem to a good price at $0.02 per minute is this good or is there any better offers?

    Smartvoip is $0.021 ($0.25 inc VAT) per min to UK landlines, but you get 300min free per rolling week within 90 days of your last
    topup
    so effectivly for the avarage domestic user your UK landline (and some international) calls are free and your credit is only
    used for other chargable calls eg. UK mobile rate is $0.079 ($0.093 inc) or 5.1p (6p inc) in real money.

    Graham., Dec 1, 2010

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks Graham, Looks like GV never runs out even if you don't use it for a
    while, rather Smartvoip 'runs out' after 90 days losing the topup - swings
    and roundabouts I guess. How much is the minimum topup?

    Dave.

    Dave, Dec 1, 2010
  4. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    No, Betamax credit never expires due to none-use, all you lose is the ability to make free calls
    after 90 days. topping up resets the 90 days.
    My credit normally runs out before this due to the number of mobile calls I make.

    Minimum topup is 15 Euros plus 70 Eurocent admin charge (I pay by Paypal, I don't know if
    the admin charge applies to other payment methods)

    smslisto.com is a similar Betamax service, minimum topup is 10 Euro + 70 cents
    The price to call UK mobiles is a fraction higher 6.2p/min (inc)

    Graham., Dec 1, 2010
  5. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    Yes, if you still have freedays left when your credit runs out you can still call the free destinations
    but not the chargeable ones.
    Topping up then adds 90 to however many freedays you had left.

    Dave, you might be interested in this Betamax comparison matrix
    http://backsla.sh/betamax
    The ones that look cheaper than smartvoip have a connection charge, so are not as good as they look.

    Graham., Dec 1, 2010
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi Graham, Wow I didn't know there where so many Betamax offshoot clones.
    I'll have to figure out what ones are free destinations i.e. UK landline
    mostly for me that don't charge a connection fee, and as you mentioned
    Smartvoip would seem the best choice I think !?

    Dave.

    Dave, Dec 2, 2010
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I just registered with SV and when I use PBXES.com says I need to add
    credit, any ideas ?

    Dave, Dec 2, 2010
  8. Dave

    Chris Davies Guest

    I've heard that "fair use" rules appear to apply per IP address. On this
    basis pbxes.com won't ever have free calls.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Dec 2, 2010
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Oh well back to my own Trixbox.....!

    Dave, Dec 2, 2010
  10. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    I ran an * box for a year or more until someone mentioned it was probably costing me
    £50 a year in electric. Once the novelty wore off I eventually stared to use pbxes.org too.

    Looks like we have a few things in common.

    Graham., Dec 2, 2010
  11. Dave

    Bob Eager Guest

    Mine is rather less than that - about £30 a year on a lowish power box.

    But of course, I can make it do just what I want - and I'm saving a lot.

    Bob Eager, Dec 2, 2010
  12. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    The thing the whetted my appitite and caused me to build an *@Home box
    was a nerdvittles article about making a call that would go unanswered
    but trigger a call back to the origanating phone and present the user with system dialtone.

    I wish I could do that on a free hosted system.

    Graham., Dec 2, 2010
  13. There's another price comparison here:
    http://progx.ch/
    (links on the LHS, look like Google ads but aren't)
    which is usually more up to date and allows you to select countries of
    interest.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 2, 2010
  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Yes, I've not really thought about to power issue 40 watts 24/7 would indeed
    be around £42 annually, not a great deal but it all adds up I guess....
    Thanks guys for to links too VERY helpful - maybe we could setup between us
    all a cheaper version pbxes.com that would work with Smart voip etc ??
    anyone ??

    I've seen a dedicated box that runs Asterisk, Trixbox etc but I can't
    remember its name I think it was Canadian ?

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 4, 2010
  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Found it - PIKA Warp but I don't think it runs Trixbox natively.... I like
    Trixbox the most out of all the Asterisk variations.

    Dave, Dec 4, 2010
  16. Dave

    Graham. Guest

    Careful Dave, there are those on here (not me) who claim any version of Asterisk with
    a GUI attached is cheating.

    Graham., Dec 4, 2010
  17. Well, obviously, if you aren't sticking the wires in your mouth and
    twiddling bits with your teeth the way we did in the old days you are
    Beneath Contempt.

    Roger Burton West, Dec 4, 2010
  18. I wrote my own GUI and I don't consider it cheating :)

    If you want low power then the ALIX boards are good - e.g.

    http://unicorn.drogon.net/cutie.jpg

    This runs at between 4 and 5 watts:

    http://unicorn.drogon.net/cutie2+power.jpg

    Installation of a Linux on it with only a serial line may be challenging
    though, but there is a Linux distro for them at

    http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

    Voyage Linux is I think designed for it. (I built my own)

    As for a (virtual) hosted asterisk solution... They work really well,
    but how much would you be willing to pay for one?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Dec 4, 2010
  19. YMMV, obviously. I find it useful... start here for calls:
    http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-2.html
    or for SMS:
    http://progx.ch/home-voip-smsbetamax-3-1-2.html

    Tick 'all' (to get both landline and mobile rates), then Ctrl-click on all
    the countries of interest (most people only have a few). Hit 'Send'. You
    get a list of landline and mobile rates to those destinations across all
    companies, with the cheapest highlighted in green and the most expensive in
    red. If you want all countries, select '<All destinations>' instead of
    particular countries.

    The trouble with backsla.sh is that if your two countries of interest start
    with A and T (say) you can't compare them easily to make tradeoffs (eg
    company X is 2p cheaper to A but 3p more expensive to T)
    I admit all the adverts are annoying.

    See also 'features and fees', which is useful:
    http://progx.ch/voip/UK/fee.php

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 7, 2010
  20. Have none of you heard of Adblock? It's an extension for Firefox or
    Chrome which strips out ads from web pages. I wondered what all this
    talk of adverts on the progx.ch site was all about, then remembered that
    I use Adblock so switched it off for a moment. For a few moments I
    could see what I'm not missing ;-)

    All I can say is install Adblock and then check the site again.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, Dec 7, 2010