    bandwidth. It's so expensive in SA you have no idea, unless you live
    in SA, of course.

    Thanks.

    Ian Samson (South Africa), Nov 12, 2007

  2. Ian Samson (South Africa)

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:45:50 -0000, Ian Samson (South Africa) wrote:

    >Hi everyone. Telkom (the monopoly in South Africa) in its infinite

    http://www.telkom.co.za/athome/products/dsl/home_what_you_require.html
    Modem/Router Installation guides
    * ADSL Wi-Fi Router/modem
    * ADSL Router Pots 4-Port Ethernet modem
    * ADSL Cordless Gateway Router/modem
    * ADSL non-Telkom Router/modem

    >wisdom and inestimable knowledge, supplies these ZyXEL routers for
    >those of us home users who have endured the extraction of dial-up to
    >the implant of ADSL, without giving us any technical specifications on
    >how to configure the damned thing. The ZyXEL website is very useful,
    >but decoding the manual for this router one needs a PhD in Network
    >Engineering. No one thought there would be non-technical readers out

    Wouldn't have thought so for a small SOHO ADSL router, now something
    like
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/ps711/
    which isn't simple, or a Big Iron box.

    >here who need things in plain English whether that be American
    >English, British English, Australian English, New Zealand English,
    >South African English, it does not matter, but PLAIN non-techcnical
    >English would be appreciated. I downloaded this document: P-2602HWL-

    Not providing a link then? Always a bad move when asking for help.

    >D1A_3.40.pdf. WOW! As I said, one needs a PhD to understand that

    No, that's what wizards are for.

    >gobbledygook! And it's a 427-page document!!
    >
    >What I really need is assistance configuring this thing for great
    >security from prying neighbors and/or hackers, a fast, efficient and
    >secure in-house wireless LAN, and anything that will save me

    Basics are MAC address filtering, you find the MAC accress of your
    wireless devices and enter then in the table in the config page.

    www.webopedia.com
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/MAC.html
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SSID.html

    You also set a SSID, select not to broadcast it for others to detect.

    You pick the highest encryption type (WPA-PSK) your wireless link
    supports.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

    or search / read through 24HSHD,

    this has been posted several times
    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    Check articles at various places
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/

    http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm
    the router list page has Prestige2602HWL-61.

    >bandwidth. It's so expensive in SA you have no idea, unless you live
    >in SA, of course.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Me

    why?, Nov 12, 2007

  3. Ian Samson (South Africa)

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-11-12, Ian Samson (South Africa) <> wrote:
    > Hi everyone. Telkom (the monopoly in South Africa) in its infinite
    > wisdom and inestimable knowledge, supplies these ZyXEL routers for
    > those of us home users who have endured the extraction of dial-up to
    > the implant of ADSL, without giving us any technical specifications on
    > how to configure the damned thing. The ZyXEL website is very useful,
    > but decoding the manual for this router one needs a PhD in Network
    > Engineering. No one thought there would be non-technical readers out
    > here who need things in plain English whether that be American
    > English, British English, Australian English, New Zealand English,
    > South African English, it does not matter, but PLAIN non-techcnical
    > English would be appreciated. I downloaded this document: P-2602HWL-
    > D1A_3.40.pdf. WOW! As I said, one needs a PhD to understand that
    > gobbledygook! And it's a 427-page document!!
    >
    > What I really need is assistance configuring this thing for great
    > security from prying neighbors and/or hackers, a fast, efficient and
    > secure in-house wireless LAN, and anything that will save me
    > bandwidth. It's so expensive in SA you have no idea, unless you live
    > in SA, of course.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The makers seem to think you should have a "Quick Start Guide" as well as
    the full manual. Such things are usually shipped on a CD packed with the
    device. If the device was re-packaged by your ISP, or supplied without
    the CD or other manufacturer's documentation, then you shold ask your ISP
    to provide it or their own version of it.

    I've looked at the manual you mention - I found it at
    <http://dl01.zyxel.com/DownloadLibary_ShortName/P-2602HWL-D1A/user_guide/P-2602HWL-D1A_3.40.pdf>
    and I see that the user instructions actually start at Chapter 2 on page
    49 and refer to the 'web configurator' which you can get to using your web
    browser. If that interface is anything like the one for my ZyXEL P-660HW
    then it should be reasonably self-explanatory and with built-in 'help'.
    Take things one step at a time, and if you are concerned about security on
    the WiFi side, disable it until you have done some learning. Ethernet
    wired networks are much more secure and easier to set up safely.

    WPA provides much greater security to a WiFi network than WEP, so if your
    computer(s) can handle it choose WPA when you do set up the WiFi system.

    You'll probably never need most of the mig manual :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 12, 2007
  4. Steve Wolstenholme, Nov 12, 2007
  5. Ian Samson (South Africa)

    Guest

    , Nov 13, 2007
  6. On Nov 12, 7:38 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:45:50 -0000, Ian Samson (South Africa) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi everyone. Telkom (the monopoly in South Africa) in its infinite

    > http://www.telkom.co.za/athome/products/dsl/home_what_you_require.html
    > Modem/Router Installation guides
    > * ADSL Wi-Fi Router/modem
    > * ADSL Router Pots 4-Port Ethernet modem
    > * ADSL Cordless Gateway Router/modem
    > * ADSL non-Telkom Router/modem
    >
    > >wisdom and inestimable knowledge, supplies these ZyXEL routers for
    > >those of us home users who have endured the extraction of dial-up to
    > >the implant of ADSL, without giving us any technical specifications on
    > >how to configure the damned thing. The ZyXEL website is very useful,
    > >but decoding the manual for this router one needs a PhD in Network
    > >Engineering. No one thought there would be non-technical readers out

    > Wouldn't have thought so for a small SOHO ADSL router, now something
    > likehttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/ps711/
    > which isn't simple, or a Big Iron box.
    >
    > >here who need things in plain English whether that be American
    > >English, British English, Australian English, New Zealand English,
    > >South African English, it does not matter, but PLAIN non-techcnical
    > >English would be appreciated. I downloaded this document: P-2602HWL-

    > Not providing a link then? Always a bad move when asking for help.
    >
    > >D1A_3.40.pdf. WOW! As I said, one needs a PhD to understand that

    > No, that's what wizards are for.
    >
    > >gobbledygook! And it's a 427-page document!!

    > >What I really need is assistance configuring this thing for great
    > >security from prying neighbors and/or hackers, a fast, efficient and
    > >secure in-house wireless LAN, and anything that will save me

    > Basics are MAC address filtering, you find the MAC accress of your
    > wireless devices and enter then in the table in the config page.
    >
    > www.webopedia.comhttp://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/MAC.htmlhttp://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SSID.html
    >
    > You also set a SSID, select not to broadcast it for others to detect.
    >
    > You pick the highest encryption type (WPA-PSK) your wireless link
    > supports.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access
    >
    > or search / read through 24HSHD,
    >
    > this has been posted several timeshttp://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm
    >
    > Check articles at various placeshttp://www.tomshardware.co.uk/http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htmhttp://www.windowsnetworking.com/http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1428
    >
    > http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm
    > the router list page has Prestige2602HWL-61.
    >
    > >bandwidth. It's so expensive in SA you have no idea, unless you live
    > >in SA, of course.

    > >Thanks.

    > Me

    To whomever "ME" is with a totally invalid e-mail address, or an
    encrypted one, apologies for not having supplied the link for the
    ZyXEL document, it did not occur to me to do that, since I had found
    the document through hours of internet searching, it was not obvious
    even on the ZyXEL's website!

    But thanks for all your other comments. I will investigate them
    further. MUCH APPRECIATION (okay???)

    Ian

    Ian Samson (South Africa), Nov 13, 2007
  7. On Nov 12, 7:38 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > this has been posted several times http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    Sure, so it has been posted "several times" but I am a total novice to
    this newsgroup - did not know it existed until I saw it on Google's
    pop-up message box, so please don't be so hard on me! I am not as
    young as you presume me to be.

    However, as I said, I am GRATEFUL for all the other information you
    supplied in your complete message, so, once again, THANK YOU for
    sharing your vast and incomparable knowledge with the world of newbie
    idiots like me.

    Ian Samson (South Africa), Nov 13, 2007
  8. On Nov 13, 6:54 am, wrote:
    > Steve Wolstenholme <> wrote:
    >
    > >Have you tried your web browser athttp://192.168.1.1/?

    > >It's the way I set up my ZyXEL router.

    > Mine is different, 192.168.0.1 as maybe the OP's
    >
    > Start | Run <type in>
    > cmd /k ipconfig
    > <enter>
    >
    > Enter the default gateway into your browser address bar.
    > --
    >
    > How Not To Flip Over A Car.http://www.break.com/index/how-not-to-flip-over-a-car.html

    My ZyXEL router's setup is http://10.0.0.2/ and it says my PC's IP
    address is 10.0.0.33 - I do not have static IP but dynamic Internet
    Provider (not to confuse by saying IP here) supplied automatic IP
    address - every connection has a different IP address (sorry hackers)
    and I reconnect very often!

    Now I need to find out who is using all my bandwidth - 'cos I'm not!
    All I have done is update the OS from Windows Update and downloaded/
    uploaded a few pictures to Google Picture groups, see
    http://picasaweb.google.com/iansamson3 for some pictures of this
    planet.

    Ian Samson (South Africa), Nov 13, 2007
  9. Ian Samson (South Africa)

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:09:30 -0000, Ian Samson (South Africa) wrote:

    >On Nov 13, 6:54 am, wrote:
    >> Steve Wolstenholme <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Have you tried your web browser athttp://192.168.1.1/?

    >> >It's the way I set up my ZyXEL router.

    >> Mine is different, 192.168.0.1 as maybe the OP's
    >>
    >> Start | Run <type in>
    >> cmd /k ipconfig
    >> <enter>
    >>
    >> Enter the default gateway into your browser address bar.
    >> --
    >>
    >> How Not To Flip Over A Car.http://www.break.com/index/how-not-to-flip-over-a-car.html

    >My ZyXEL router's setup is http://10.0.0.2/ and it says my PC's IP
    >address is 10.0.0.33 - I do not have static IP but dynamic Internet
    >Provider (not to confuse by saying IP here) supplied automatic IP

    Then you use ISP, Internet Service Provider :)

    >address - every connection has a different IP address (sorry hackers)

    Ah another Google poster.

    >and I reconnect very often!
    >
    >Now I need to find out who is using all my bandwidth - 'cos I'm not!

    How do you know the BW is getting used?

    Use a PC hardwired to the router and disable / lock down the wireless
    side. Open up 1 MAC address for your 1 (for starters) wireless link, get
    the encryption and security set.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 13, 2007
  10. On Nov 13, 7:00 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:09:30 -0000, Ian Samson (South Africa) wrote:

    > >> Mine is different, 192.168.0.1 as maybe the OP's

    > >> Start | Run <type in>
    > >> cmd /k ipconfig
    > >> <enter>

    > >> Enter the default gateway into your browser address bar.
    > >> --

    > >> How Not To Flip Over A Car.http://www.break.com/index/how-not-to-flip-over-a-car.html

    > >My ZyXEL router's setup ishttp://10.0.0.2/and it says my PC's IP
    > >address is 10.0.0.33 - I do not have static IP but dynamic Internet
    > >Provider (not to confuse by saying IP here) supplied automatic IP

    > Then you use ISP, Internet Service Provider :)
    >
    > >address - every connection has a different IP address (sorry hackers)

    > Ah another Google poster.
    >
    > >and I reconnect very often!

    > >Now I need to find out who is using all my bandwidth - 'cos I'm not!

    > How do you know the BW is getting used?
    >
    > Use a PC hardwired to the router and disable / lock down the wireless
    > side. Open up 1 MAC address for your 1 (for starters) wireless link, get
    > the encryption and security set.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    THANK YOU, YOU ARE VERY KIND !! I will.

    Ian Samson (South Africa), Nov 13, 2007
  11. Ian Samson (South Africa)

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:43:21 -0000, Ian Samson (South Africa) wrote:

    Readup on snipping and reply style, you will note oftem comments are
    posted inline with text next to the relavent parts. In this case you
    included all of the previous post and replied at the end

    However the Google interface is an issue starting off :)

    Some links on working in usenet, for a start.
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/
    http://www.usenet.com/articles/usenet_etiquette.htm

    There will be 6000 articles and 6000 opinions. For any group hang around
    a bit and get used to the flow.

    >On Nov 12, 7:38 pm, why? <stevec*ftp@INVAL!Dmad.scientist.com> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:45:50 -0000, Ian Samson (South Africa) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi everyone. Telkom (the monopoly in South Africa) in its infinite

    >> http://www.telkom.co.za/athome/products/dsl/home_what_you_require.html
    >> Modem/Router Installation guides
    >> * ADSL Wi-Fi Router/modem

    <snip>

    >> this has been posted several timeshttp://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm
    >>
    >> Check articles at various placeshttp://www.tomshardware.co.uk/http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htmhttp://www.windowsnetworking.com/http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1428
    >>
    >> http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm
    >> the router list page has Prestige2602HWL-61.
    >>
    >> >bandwidth. It's so expensive in SA you have no idea, unless you live
    >> >in SA, of course.

    >> >Thanks.

    >> Me

    >To whomever "ME" is with a totally invalid e-mail address, or an

    "Me" , and it's mildily encoded , well formed i.e. the lid
    syntax but invalid and an address of a real mailbox.. Where as you
    posted with a valid email addy in From: to which spammers can use. My
    address allows me to post but stops spam getting out, because it is
    invalid.

    >encrypted one, apologies for not having supplied the link for the
    >ZyXEL document, it did not occur to me to do that, since I had found
    >the document through hours of internet searching, it was not obvious

    Well, asking about how to set something up and having to spend the time
    looking is a pain.

    >even on the ZyXEL's website!
    >
    >But thanks for all your other comments. I will investigate them
    >further. MUCH APPRECIATION (okay???)

    Ok.

    >Ian

    Me

    why?, Nov 13, 2007
  12. Ian Samson (South Africa)

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:12:20 GMT, why? wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:43:21 -0000, Ian Samson (South Africa) wrote:
    >
    >Readup on snipping and reply style, you will note oftem comments are
    >posted inline with text next to the relavent parts. In this case you
    >included all of the previous post and replied at the end
    >
    >However the Google interface is an issue starting off :)
    >

    >Some links on working in usenet, for a start.
    >http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/
    >http://www.usenet.com/articles/usenet_etiquette.htm
    >
    >There will be 6000 articles and 6000 opinions. For any group hang around
    >a bit and get used to the flow.

    <snip>

    >>To whomever "ME" is with a totally invalid e-mail address, or an

    >"Me" , and it's mildily encoded , well formed i.e. the lid
    >syntax but invalid and an address of a real mailbox.. Where as you

    Ouch! - invalid as an address

    >posted with a valid email addy in From: to which spammers can use. My
    >address allows me to post but stops spam getting out, because it is
    >invalid.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Nov 13, 2007