Zyxel 2602HW doesn't ring for incoming calls

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by HVB, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. HVB

    HVB Guest

    I'm hoping someone might have an answer to this - it's been bugging me
    all afternoon.

    I have previously had this router working with sipgate and it was fine
    for both incoming and outgoing calls. However, it's been in the
    cupboard for a couple of months and I've dusted it off, reset it and
    tried getting it to work again with partial success.

    Outbound calls are fine.

    Inbound calls appear, but the phone doesn't ring.

    The Phone 1 (or Phone 2, depending on config) LED flashes, indicating
    a call. If I lift the handset, the call is there and I can speak to
    the caller. If the caller hangs up before I answer, the LED will
    continue to flash, which looks wrong. If I lift and replace the
    handset, the LED will go out.

    The manual is rather unhelpful for troubleshooting.

    I've tried various combinations of settings and hardware, but nothing
    will make that phone ring. Before some wag suggests... I have checked
    that the ringer is not set to OFF on the base of the phone. It rings
    just fine plugged into a normal BT line and it has worked before with
    this router.

    Firmware is V3.40(MF.3) | 01/05/2006

    Any ideas?

    HVB
    HVB, Apr 9, 2007

  2. HVB

    Martin² Guest

    Are you using a "BT plug to US plug converter" with ringer circuit ? This
    should have come with the router, but I believe sometimes they did not
    supply it.
    Also, in the Voice setup you have to select which phone should ring...
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Apr 10, 2007

  3. HVB

    HVB Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 03:57:41 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

    >Are you using a "BT plug to US plug converter" with ringer circuit ? This
    >should have come with the router, but I believe sometimes they did not
    >supply it.

    Yes. At least I think the answer is yes. I have a BT plug to RJ11
    converter, but is it the one that came with the router? I'm not
    absolutely certain - I found it in "my big box o' cables". I'll have
    a hunt for another one, I know two were supplied.

    Thanks for the idea!

    >Also, in the Voice setup you have to select which phone should ring...

    Yep, done that. "Incoming Call apply to" Phone1 - though I've tried
    various combinations.

    HVB
    HVB, Apr 10, 2007
  4. On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:31:41 +0100, HVB <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 03:57:41 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:
    >
    >>Are you using a "BT plug to US plug converter" with ringer circuit ? This
    >>should have come with the router, but I believe sometimes they did not
    >>supply it.

    >Yes. At least I think the answer is yes. I have a BT plug to RJ11
    >converter, but is it the one that came with the router? I'm not
    >absolutely certain - I found it in "my big box o' cables". I'll have
    >a hunt for another one, I know two were supplied.
    >
    >Thanks for the idea!
    >
    >>Also, in the Voice setup you have to select which phone should ring...

    >Yep, done that. "Incoming Call apply to" Phone1 - though I've tried
    >various combinations.
    >
    >HVB

    You need an adapter with a ring capacitor in it - available from any
    branch of Maplin. You won't get either of the ports on the P2602HW to
    ring ANY phone available in the UK direct from the port. Also avoid
    Panasonic DECT phones like the plague as even with a ring cap adaptor
    they have proved problematic with the P2602HW.

    PS - I'm assuming you DO have the P2602HW and not one of the
    "lifeline" models? The lifeline models have PSTN fallback and a wholly
    different hardware arrangement for the phone ports.
    --
    John Naismith
    John Naismith, Apr 10, 2007
  5. HVB

    alexd Guest

    John Naismith wrote:

    > Also avoid Panasonic DECT phones like the plague as even with a ring cap
    > adaptor they have proved problematic with the P2602HW.

    Just in case anyone was wondering, Panasonic DECT phones work fine with
    other ATAs. In fact I'm using mine with a Grandstream 486 and no ring
    adaptor, although I'm not sure if the Grandstream even needs one. SMS and
    alphanumeric CLID work fine. If SMS is on, the Panasonic takes an extra
    ring cycle to start ringing.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:44:44 up 2 days, 7:03, 2 users, load average: 0.68, 1.02, 0.81
    alexd, Apr 10, 2007