    11.2.

    Does Debian provide anything similar? No doubt somebody will write a script
    to do it. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 6, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    > I still run a couple of SuSE systems, one for myself and one for a client.
    > Today, after doing some non-kernel updates, I got the message
    >
    > There are some running programs that use files deleted by recent
    > upgrade. You may wish to restart some of them. Run 'zypper ps' to list
    > these programs.
    >
    > I tried this, and yes, it lists processes that need restarting so they will
    > pick up the updated libraries etc. This feature is only available on SuSE
    > 11.2.
    >
    > Does Debian provide anything similar? No doubt somebody will write a script
    > to do it. :)

    dpkg sometimes asks if you want to restart daemons after upgrades, Stuff
    like cups gets restarted automatically.
    I don't know if it asks about every running program.
    victor, Apr 6, 2010

  3. In message <hpgcuo$1eb$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > dpkg sometimes asks if you want to restart daemons after upgrades, Stuff
    > like cups gets restarted automatically.

    Yeah, that’s true. Though if any libraries get changed that your init
    process is linked against, you can’t restart that without rebooting your
    system. For instance, on both my Debian Unstable and SuSE systems, I see
    that init is linked against some SELinux stuff.

    Hmm, the man page says that you can type

    init u

    to tell init to re-execute itself. That would probably do it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 7, 2010