ZUNE MP3 Player - AWFUL Experience

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Justme Athome, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. So I bought a Zune MP3 player last weekend thinking it would great to
    have 30 Gigs storage. It turned out to be EXACTLY what I guess I
    should expect from a Microsoft product by now. FULL OF BUGS!

    First off. let me explain that I had earlier bought an el-cheapo mp3
    player that held only 4 gigs but it could also double as a flash
    drive, allowing me to store any other file that I had space for. Also
    it would only place music or video files onto it that I had selected
    and the process for installing software for it onto my laptop took
    only a few minutes. AND...it cost less than 1/3 of what the Zune cost
    me.

    NOW - skip to the Zune: Took THREE installations before it finally
    took on my laptop and each installation was so damned drawn out and
    cumbersome (Microsoft insists that you register to some website for
    Zune and that you pick a username and a lot of other B.S.), it took
    over an hour. Although the instructions on the side of the box stated
    the software for this turkey was compatible with Windows Vista, when I
    clicked the UPDATE SOFTWARE option, I got a message stating it wasn't
    compatible with my operating system.

    Still I moved on (wasn't ABOUT to uninstall/re-iknstall at this
    point). Now I was ready to connect the Zune to my laptop. Immediately
    the program began scanning my entire drive and connected drive for
    media (song files, movie clips, and pictures) in order to "synch" the
    files onto the Zune. Nothing I could do would stop it. After ~30
    minutes it was through and had dumped all the files onto the Zune. I
    figured out that the only way I could remove files from it would be to
    go to the Zune interface on my computer and select the files I didn't
    want and hit delete.

    Then looking at the music files listed in the interface there HUNDREDS
    that were indicated would not be playable on the Zune. HELLO??!! These
    were files that I had copied from my own CDs LONG ago and they played
    just fine on the el-cheapo player!

    Later I found that everytime I connected the Zune to my laptop it
    would go thru the synch process all over again and each time it would
    take quite awhi;e before it waqs thru.

    Long story short, I uninstalled the software and took the Zune back to
    get my money refunded. Just TOO MANY DRAWBACKS...the extra space meant
    NOTHING considering that a large chunk of my favorite songs can't even
    be played on it.

    The last slap in the face came a day after I had returned it...I have
    the registered version of Limewire - found out Zune software had
    crippled it to the point I had to uninstall it and re-install it just
    to make it operable again. Same for a program I have named DVD433.5 -
    it's driver had been removed, so I had to re-install it as well. I
    KNOW Zune did all this because both programs worked just fine BEFORE I
    installed it.

    Justme Athome, Oct 30, 2007

  2. Justme Athome

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:22:47 -0700, Justme Athome <>
    wrote:

    >First off. let me explain that I had earlier bought an el-cheapo mp3
    >player that held only 4 gigs

    <SNIP>
    >AND...it cost less than 1/3 of what the Zune cost me.

    There's a shocker.

    Evan Platt, Oct 30, 2007