    slipcase)

    So...why did Paramount drop the ball with the Region 1 release? It's
    criminal!

    Peter Briggs, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Why did PARAMOUNT drop the ball? I'm afraid if you're going to blame
    someone you should blame the proper party. MGM/UA released Zulu here in
    the states.

    Brockhurst Pertwee, Sep 25, 2003

  3. "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > little 25 minute intervieww documentaries, which are delightful if
    > you're a fan of the movie, and have a bunch of terrific anecdotes. (The

    I would have enjoyed those.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Brockhurst Pertwee <> wrote:

    > Why did PARAMOUNT drop the ball? I'm afraid if you're going to blame
    > someone you should blame the proper party. MGM/UA released Zulu here in
    > the states.

    Well, I guess that's the reason, then! MGM/UA dropped the ball, and
    Paramount (our distributors!) picked it up.

    Way to go, big P!

    Peter Briggs, Sep 25, 2003
  5. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Steve Knoblock <> wrote:

    > "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > little 25 minute intervieww documentaries, which are delightful if
    > > you're a fan of the movie, and have a bunch of terrific anecdotes. (The

    > I would have enjoyed those.

    Yep. They were pretty spiffy. No behind the scenes footage, alas, but
    the recollections of those involved were nice, as were a number of
    stills I hadn't seen before, and other bits of documentary material.

    The audio commentary's not bad, hosted by Sheldon Hall (a "Zulu"
    authority.) Supposedly, he's writing a "Making Of" book too, although
    there doesn't seem to be any information on it.

    Peter Briggs, Sep 25, 2003
  6. Peter Briggs

    jayembee Guest

    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote:

    > I just got my Region 2 "Zulu" (one of my favorite movies...
    > I never tire of watching it), after waiting and being
    > disappointed at the meagre Region 1 release.
    >
    > Well. What the hell happened? Paramount have given the R2
    > a great print, with a fabulous transfer (far superior to
    > any of the prints I've seen on the BBC and religiously
    > taped over the years...and they were GOOD prints.). The
    > sound is terrific. And, there's a pair of great little
    > 25 minute intervieww documentaries, which are delightful
    > if you're a fan of the movie, and have a bunch of terrific
    > anecdotes. (The plastic Amaray case also comes within a
    > nice chunky little cardboard slipcase)
    >
    > So...why did Paramount drop the ball with the Region 1
    > release? It's criminal!

    Well, for one, Paramount didn't release it in Region 1.
    After editions from various Public Domain labels, it was
    issued by MGM. As for why the "meager" treatment, I guess
    they figured they could make more money selling a bare bones
    edition at a dirt cheap price than they could selling a
    Special Edition at a noticibly higher price.

    Personally, while I like extras, they're...well...extra.
    I'm just glad to have the film (the MGM DVD is my third
    copy: I also have the Criterion LD and the Troma/Roan DVD).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 25, 2003
  7. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Well. What the hell happened? Paramount have given the R2 a great
    > print, with a fabulous transfer (far superior to any of the prints

    I've
    > seen on the BBC and religiously taped over the years...and they were
    > GOOD prints.).

    How's the region 1 transfer?

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Well. What the hell happened? Paramount have given the R2 a great
    > > print, with a fabulous transfer (far superior to any of the prints

    > I've
    > > seen on the BBC and religiously taped over the years...and they were
    > > GOOD prints.).

    > How's the region 1 transfer?

    No idea. The R2 has a tiny bit of telecine wobble in places, but it's
    still terrific.

    Peter Briggs, Sep 27, 2003
  9. "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Joshua Zyber <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > No idea. The R2 has a tiny bit of telecine wobble in places, but it's
    > still terrific.

    I'm no expert, but it looked spectacular to me. Extremely clear, very much
    like the transfer for Battle of Britain.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 28, 2003
  10. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Steve Knoblock <> wrote:

    > I'm no expert, but it looked spectacular to me. Extremely clear, very much
    > like the transfer for Battle of Britain.

    Are you talking about the Region 1 "Zulu"?

    I have the R1 "Battle Of Britain", which is an excellent transfer. Nice
    rich colours, although there's a little (minute) artifacting evident in
    a handful of the "cloud" shots.

    The R2 "Zulu" IS excellent (my God, those red jackets are crisp and pop
    right off the screen!), but take a look at a few of the shots of the
    Zulu heading through the undergrowth towards the Drift, and you'll see a
    bit of telecine wobble (and it's there elsewhere). I've read a review
    where it points out there's a bit of lack of black shadow detail in a
    few places, but I've yet to spot that.

    However, I'm not complaining. It's streets ahead of any of the other
    copies I own!

    Peter Briggs, Sep 28, 2003
  11. Peter Briggs

    Larry Gold Guest

    sometimes the R2 has a lot more time to come out and they can add stuff to
    it.
    Its like the Wicker Man, on R1 a wooden box which I brought, but on R2 no
    box but a Chris Lee commentary

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Sep 28, 2003
  12. "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Steve Knoblock <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm no expert, but it looked spectacular to me. Extremely clear, very

    much
    > > like the transfer for Battle of Britain.

    > Are you talking about the Region 1 "Zulu"?

    Yes. It's region 1. BoB has a very clear, almost video look to it. Zulu
    comes close or equal to BoB. They both look great.

    From imdb, the R2 version of Zulu shows Mono Surround where the R1 is Mono.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 29, 2003
  13. Peter Briggs

    karlpov Guest

    MGM/UA is also capable of putting out two good flicks on one
    dirt-cheap DVD, which nice extras on both, witness some of the recent
    Midnite Movie releases such as Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers (I
    particularly enjoyed the background information on Nigel Green which
    helped explain why he never became a bigger star).

    karlpov, Sep 29, 2003
  14. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Steve Knoblock" <> wrote in message
    > From imdb, the R2 version of Zulu shows Mono Surround where the R1 is

    Mono.

    And what would Mono Surround be, other than an IMDb typo?

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 29, 2003
  15. "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Steve Knoblock" <> wrote in message
    > > From imdb, the R2 version of Zulu shows Mono Surround where the R1 is

    > Mono.
    >
    > And what would Mono Surround be, other than an IMDb typo?

    Maybe mono "enhanced" by sending some of the audio to surround speakers,
    perhaps a fake concert hall effect, etc. It's been done to old recordings
    before.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 29, 2003
  16. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    karlpov <> wrote:

    > (I
    > particularly enjoyed the background information on Nigel Green which
    > helped explain why he never became a bigger star).

    N.G. is one of my favorites...do tell!!!

    Peter Briggs, Sep 29, 2003
  17. Peter Briggs

    karlpov Guest

    Briefly, when friends ensured that a certain part was his for the
    asking, he couldn't be bothered to ask; and he got rather violent when
    anyone interfered with his on-the-set standing-on-head Yoga exercises.
    In other words, a prima donna who probably couldn't keep to his prima
    donnishness and command the high salaries and more prominent parts
    which his talents could have gotten for him.

    One of my favorites, which I saw only in theatre as a kid, was Let's
    Kill Uncle. Green is next in line to a fortune if he can manage to off
    the pesky young nephew with whom he is alone on an island (except for
    the nephew's little girl friend, who is thus also on the list). But he
    does give pesky young nephew full warning of his intentions, making
    for a delightful intergenerational version of The Most Dangerous Game.

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:20:07 +0100,

    karlpov, Oct 2, 2003