Zoombrowser update - Caution

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Zol., Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Zol.

    Zol. Guest

    Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at the Powershot ite
    which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the files contains a
    virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major corporations can get
    infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is kept upto date
    (just having one isn`t always enough these days)

    files available from http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/zoombrowser.html

    Zol.

    P.S. the infected file wasn`t actually neccessary for the update to work (launcher.exe) so
    you should be safe to update if you wish

    --
    "May you find what you are looking for in the Window at the heart of the machine"

    My Photo Galleries - http://www.byphotos.com/

    Anti-Virus Software .... http://www.grisoft.com
    Firewall Software ...... http://www.sygate.com/swat/default.htm
    Spyware Removal ........ http://security.kolla.de/
    Security Scan........... http://scan.sygatetech.com/

    Zol., Dec 14, 2003

  2. Zol.

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at the
    >Powershot ite
    >which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the
    >files contains a
    >virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major
    >corporations can get
    >infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is kept
    >upto date
    >(just having one isn`t always enough these days)
    >
    >files available from
    >http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/zoombrowser.html
    >
    >Zol.

    I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of course
    with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
    asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the file
    offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable of
    making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed by
    are no better.

    zbzbzb, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Zol.

    Zol. Guest

    "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message

    > >Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at the
    > >Powershot ite
    > >which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the
    > >files contains a
    > >virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major
    > >corporations can get
    > >infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is kept
    > >upto date
    > >(just having one isn`t always enough these days)
    > >
    > >files available from
    > >http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/zoombrowser.html
    > >
    > >Zol.

    > I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of course
    > with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
    > asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the file
    > offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable of
    > making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed by
    > are no better.

    This is mainly an update for people who don`t have version 4.5 & it does do a version check
    before installing - as always you could read the documentation before downloading ... Zol.

    Zol., Dec 14, 2003
  4. Zol.

    Canopus Guest

    "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message

    > >Hi All, I just wanted to let people know that an update is available at

    the
    > >Powershot ite
    > >which takes Zoombrowser upto version 4.5.1 but be cautious as one of the
    > >files contains a
    > >virus - I have emailed support and they should sort it. Even major
    > >corporations can get
    > >infected so it`s always best to keep a virus checker AND make sure it is

    kept
    > >upto date
    > >(just having one isn`t always enough these days)
    > >
    > >files available from
    > >http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/zoombrowser.html
    > >
    > >Zol.

    > I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of

    course
    > with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know

    without
    > asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the

    file
    > offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are

    incapable of
    > making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed

    by
    > are no better.

    I had a similar problem with an Epson printer software update, the version
    number changed from xx.xx.xx to xx.xx.b. I had to contact them to clarify
    if it was a later version as normally software with a "b" tag indicates a
    beta version.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Zol.

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of
    >course
    >> with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
    >> asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the

    >file
    >> offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable

    >of
    >> making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed

    >by
    >> are no better.
    >>

    >This is mainly an update for people who don`t have version 4.5 & it does do a
    >version check
    >before installing - as always you could read the documentation before
    >downloading ... Zol.

    Where? :) That's basically my point. As for it doing a check before installing
    I don't see how that is helpful if you have waasted time downloading it to
    find out it wasn't necessary. If the version numbers were consistent one would
    know right away it was different in some way.

    zbzbzb, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Zol.

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I had a similar problem with an Epson printer software update, the version
    >number changed from xx.xx.xx to xx.xx.b. I had to contact them to clarify
    >if it was a later version as normally software with a "b" tag indicates a
    >beta version.
    >
    >Rob

    Exactly my point. So they wasted your time and their own time. Poor business
    practice.

    zbzbzb, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Re: Zoombrowser update - Caution (No Virus AFAIK)

    Hi Folks

    As I (and a few others) posted in this thread:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=22268

    I downloaded the update for Zoombrowser, it went through Zonealarm Pro
    (latest) and Nav 2004 Pro (latest virus defs) and neither of these
    complained. Have also since ran AdAware over my system and it stayed
    quiet too (save for a data miner, but I know where I got that from) Also
    got the manual with no probs too.

    The installer ran without a hitch as do all the other canon software
    updates from that site - About box now says ver 4.5.1.148

    I note the that the poster who found a virus in that thread was also
    running AVG.... Just an observation.... I am not trying to diss AVG -
    hey its free! (or the original poster for using it for that matter ), I
    used to use it, quite liked it too, but I found that it would pick up
    viruses where there weren't any, which cheesed me off and is the main
    reason I stopped using it. Nor am I trying to start a flame war about
    which AV product is best (that has been done to death elsewhere I am
    sure!) - norton isnt perfect but it does the job (for me anyways).

    Hope this helps/clears things up

    Andrew

    Andrew McConville, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Zol.

    zbzbzb Guest

    Re: Zoombrowser update - Caution (No Virus AFAIK)

    >Hi Folks
    >
    >As I (and a few others) posted in this thread:
    >http://photography-on-the.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=22268
    >
    >I downloaded the update for Zoombrowser, it went through Zonealarm Pro
    >(latest) and Nav 2004 Pro (latest virus defs) and neither of these
    >complained. Have also since ran AdAware over my system and it stayed
    >quiet too (save for a data miner, but I know where I got that from) Also
    >got the manual with no probs too.
    >
    >The installer ran without a hitch as do all the other canon software
    >updates from that site - About box now says ver 4.5.1.148
    >
    > I note the that the poster who found a virus in that thread was also
    >running AVG.... Just an observation.... I am not trying to diss AVG -
    >hey its free! (or the original poster for using it for that matter ), I
    >used to use it, quite liked it too, but I found that it would pick up
    >viruses where there weren't any, which cheesed me off and is the main
    >reason I stopped using it. Nor am I trying to start a flame war about
    >which AV product is best (that has been done to death elsewhere I am
    >sure!) - norton isnt perfect but it does the job (for me anyways).
    >
    >Hope this helps/clears things up
    >
    >Andrew

    Thank you Andrew. The version I have on a new disc is the same 4.5.1.148.
    Stupid that that isn't the number you are told before downloading and
    installing.

    zbzbzb, Dec 14, 2003
  9. Zol.

    Canopus Guest

    "Andrew McConville" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > As I (and a few others) posted in this thread:
    > http://photography-on-the.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=22268
    >
    > I downloaded the update for Zoombrowser, it went through Zonealarm Pro
    > (latest) and Nav 2004 Pro (latest virus defs) and neither of these
    > complained. Have also since ran AdAware over my system and it stayed
    > quiet too (save for a data miner, but I know where I got that from) Also
    > got the manual with no probs too.
    >
    > The installer ran without a hitch as do all the other canon software
    > updates from that site - About box now says ver 4.5.1.148
    >
    > I note the that the poster who found a virus in that thread was also
    > running AVG.... Just an observation.... I am not trying to diss AVG -
    > hey its free! (or the original poster for using it for that matter ), I
    > used to use it, quite liked it too, but I found that it would pick up
    > viruses where there weren't any, which cheesed me off and is the main
    > reason I stopped using it. Nor am I trying to start a flame war about
    > which AV product is best (that has been done to death elsewhere I am
    > sure!) - norton isnt perfect but it does the job (for me anyways).
    >
    > Hope this helps/clears things up
    >
    > Andrew

    In that case it sounds like more of a problem with holistic scanning rather
    than checking against virus definitions. I tend to turn off holistic
    scanning as I've found it can lead to too many false positives. Then,
    better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

    Rob

    Canopus, Dec 14, 2003
  10. Zol.

    Zol. Guest

    "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have version 4.5.1.148 on disc from a newly bought Canon camera. Of

    > >course
    > >> with such a stupid version numbering system there is no way to know without
    > >> asking Canon if that update has anything new compared to mine since the

    > >file
    > >> offered is 4.5.1a. I swear sometimes I think most programmers are incapable

    > >of
    > >> making things that are easily understood. The companies they are employed

    > >by
    > >> are no better.
    > >>

    > >This is mainly an update for people who don`t have version 4.5 & it does do a
    > >version check
    > >before installing - as always you could read the documentation before
    > >downloading ... Zol.
    > >

    > Where? :) That's basically my point. As for it doing a check before installing
    > I don't see how that is helpful if you have waasted time downloading it to
    > find out it wasn't necessary. If the version numbers were consistent one would
    > know right away it was different in some way.

    If you read the page you will get what the differences are :-

    here is a snippet -

    .. ZoomBrowser EX Update History

    Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.0.2 compared to v2.x / 3.x:
    1. Much Improved image database reliability. (New database system)
    2. Much Improved Performance.
    3. New image management without registering images in the database.
    4. Much improved usability of the Task and Wizard methods.
    5. Completely redesigned user interface.
    6. Supported OS: Windows 98 (including Second Edition), Windows Me, Windows 2000 and Windows
    XP.

    Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.0.x to ZoomBrowser EX 4.1:
    1. Thumbnails are available from Movie files.
    2. Support connection of full PTP cameras (PowerShot SD100, A70, A60, S400, G5, A300, S50)

    Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.1 to ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.0:
    1. Ability to download images from the camera to the PC automatically.
    2. Added Preview Mode
    3. Added CD-R/RW backup function (Windows XP only)
    4. File export function (Resize/Rename batch conversion), Exporting shooting information,
    screen saver maker.

    Major specifications of ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.0 to ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.1a:
    1. Search Image Task (Includes favorite mark)
    2. Added RemoteCapture Task - The functions of the stand-alone application RemoteCapture are
    now integrated into ZoomBrowser EX 4.5.1a as "RemoteCapture Task". RemoteCapture Task
    supports: PowerShot A80, SD100, A70, A60, S400, G5, A300 and S50 (As of Nov. 2003). The
    PowerShot SD10 does not have RemoteCapture functionality. For other cameras, use the
    stand-alone version of RemoteCapture included with your camera.
    3. The problem with rotating RAW images correctly is fixed.
    4. The problem with SlideShow/DPOF setting the PowerShot S110 is fixed.
    5. Connectivity of the PowerShot S10 and PowerShot S20 is improved.
    6. A temporary file attribute that was added to files when downloading them from the camera
    to the PC using CameraWindow was removed. For images previously downloaded with earlier
    versions of ZoomBrowser 4.x, a utility is available here to remove the temporary file
    attributes.

    it clearly tells you there exactly what they have done in plain english, it`s the update
    history so that you can see if you have any problem listed or just want to keep the program
    upto date ... Zol.

    Zol., Dec 14, 2003
  11. Re: Zoombrowser update - Caution (No Virus AFAIK)

    zbzbzb wrote:

    Thank you Andrew. The version I have on a new disc is the same 4.5.1.148.
    > Stupid that that isn't the number you are told before downloading and
    > installing.

    Hmm yes - Canon does have a funny way of telling people about new
    software. Another example of this (permit me to stary ever so slightly
    OT) was with the new version of their printer software for their
    Bubblejet printers. I had to go to their Australian site about 10 days
    ago to get the new versions of Easy Web Print and Easy Photo Print
    (2.0)- not a cheep about this on the UK site, although that is fixed now
    -its there. However, the addon for Easy Photo Print (caled - yep you
    guessed it - Easy Photo Print Plus) is conspicuously absent here on the
    UK site. I have both and they work fine. (the "Plus" addon just adds
    minor image processing capability, like redeye removal etc into the EPP
    app istself, if anybody is wondering)

    Whilst on the subject of updates... a new driver for my S900 would be
    nice (still running 1.61). But that ain't gonna happen (product line too
    old :-( )

    cheers

    Andrew

    Andrew McConville, Dec 14, 2003
  12. Zol.

    zbzbzb Guest

> [...]

    >use the
    >stand-alone version of RemoteCapture included with your camera.
    >3. The problem with rotating RAW images correctly is fixed.
    >4. The problem with SlideShow/DPOF setting the PowerShot S110 is fixed.
    >5. Connectivity of the PowerShot S10 and PowerShot S20 is improved.
    >6. A temporary file attribute that was added to files when downloading them
    >from the camera
    >to the PC using CameraWindow was removed. For images previously downloaded
    >with earlier
    >versions of ZoomBrowser 4.x, a utility is available here to remove the
    >temporary file
    >attributes.
    >

    >it clearly tells you there exactly what they have done in plain english, it`s
    >the update
    >history so that you can see if you have any problem listed or just want to

    Through that information how do you distinguish the difference between my
    version 4.5.1.148 and the update offered 4.5.1a? The answer is you can't. As
    someone already stated they had to download it and install it where the number
    then turns into 4.5.1.148. The same version I have, but of course you can't
    tell until you download and install it. Do you see my point?

    zbzbzb, Dec 14, 2003
  13. Zol.

    zbzbzb Guest

    Re: Zoombrowser update - Caution (No Virus AFAIK)

    > Thank you Andrew. The version I have on a new disc is the same 4.5.1.148.
    >> Stupid that that isn't the number you are told before downloading and
    >> installing.

    >Hmm yes - Canon does have a funny way of telling people about new
    >software.

    >Andrew

    Unfortunately it isn't just them. Many software programmers and companies do
    the same thing with their ridiculous and inconsistent revison descriptions.
    Imagine having to buy cars in such a manner. I can just see the car salesperson
    trying to sell their new version 4.5.1.148 sportscar.

    zbzbzb, Dec 14, 2003