    musicians in my house.

    Thanks in advance for your comments.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Aug 29, 2009

  2. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> Zoom Q3 video camera - anyone own and care to report?
    >>
    >> I own a Zoom H2 audio recorder, which makes wonderful recordings via
    >> built-in microphones, and am looking for something to record live
    >> music performances (jazz quartet) that will let me produce either a
    >> YouTube video or just an MP3 of the audio.
    >>
    >> I currently own and use a Sony video camera that records on little
    >> tapes - it's about 6 or 7 years old, but I've gotten familiar with
    >> the basics of video editing. (I've learned to record and then get
    >> things up to YouTube or elsewhere using Pinnacle Studio 8, an upgrade
    >> to the free Pinnacle Studio that came bundled w/ the camera.)
    >>
    >> We need a new video camera, and this seems like a good fit since
    >> we're musicians in my house.

    > Never used it, and since it isn't due to be released for a few days
    > more, I doubt there are many who have. From what I've read it seems to
    > be a good little audio recorder with a limited camcorder function
    > thrown in. A 640x480 resolution, fixed lens device won't win any
    > awards, but the audio function seems to be looked upon favorably.
    >
    > If you're a little more serious about this, a good used digital
    > camcorder with decent mics built in would be better. Here's some video
    > on YouTube (of course the original audio/video is much higher
    > quality), shot with such a camera with built in Sennheiser mics. The
    > camera is a Canon GL-2.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXy21TXlxOM

    Thank you.

    Budget is a concern, and the Canon GL-2 sells for a _lot_ more than what
    the Zoom Q3 costs. We paid about $600 for our current Sony, and the
    Zoom Q3 is about half that. We simply cannot afford to spend the kind
    of money the GL-2 costs for the amount of use we have for a video
    camera. I would be more interested to know if there are other options
    in the $250-500 range.

    Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Aug 30, 2009

  3. Steve Freides

    Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote:

    >We simply cannot afford to spend the kind
    >of money the GL-2 costs for the amount of use we have for a video
    >camera. I would be more interested to know if there are other options
    >in the $250-500 range.

    Use Froogle.com (a google shopping service)
    http://www.google.com/products?q=video camera&aq=f

    Find one in your price range, most links will have reviews.

    The GL-2 doesn't have anything nice said about it (default Froogle.com
    link)

    "After about 20 hours of use I can no longer use the vcr."

    "I own the GL2. A pixel has blown. I called an authorized Canon repair
    service and they told me not to bother installing a new CCD chip as
    that…"

    "Within the first 30 days GL2 began eating my tapes. I promptly
    returned camera to Amazon within the first 30 days."

    --

    Makes you wonder what happen's next.
    http://imgur.com/AyDc6.jpg

    , Aug 30, 2009
  4. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> Never used it, and since it isn't due to be released for a few days
    >>> more, I doubt there are many who have. From what I've read it seems
    >>> to be a good little audio recorder with a limited camcorder function
    >>> thrown in. A 640x480 resolution, fixed lens device won't win any
    >>> awards, but the audio function seems to be looked upon favorably.
    >>>
    >>> If you're a little more serious about this, a good used digital
    >>> camcorder with decent mics built in would be better. Here's some
    >>> video on YouTube (of course the original audio/video is much higher
    >>> quality), shot with such a camera with built in Sennheiser mics. The
    >>> camera is a Canon GL-2.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXy21TXlxOM

    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Budget is a concern, and the Canon GL-2 sells for a _lot_ more than
    >> what the Zoom Q3 costs. We paid about $600 for our current Sony, and
    >> the Zoom Q3 is about half that. We simply cannot afford to spend the
    >> kind of money the GL-2 costs for the amount of use we have for a
    >> video camera. I would be more interested to know if there are other
    >> options in the $250-500 range.

    > A used GL-1 can be had for roughly $500, it's mostly the same camera
    > as the GL-2 with minor differences. As I said, the Q3 seems to be well
    > thought of for audio, video is a different story.

    Used GL-1's seem to be several hundred dollars more, based on what I
    found.

    What I'd like, of course, is the Zoom Q3 with its great audio, but with
    better video for $450 instead of $250.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Aug 31, 2009