    * * * To reply, please email to
    This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
    Cheers.

    W Chan, Jun 17, 2004

  2. W Chan

    gsum Guest

    You have a great camera. It needs the glass to do it justice. Stay
    with mid/high range Nikkor - don't even think about anything else.
    I have a Sigma 20mm f1.8 in my collection. It is nowhere near as
    robust as my Nikkors and has two serious design faults, one of which
    could damage the camera. The lens can be very easily slipped into
    gear and the focus ring is loose and not sealed against grit.

    Graham

    gsum, Jun 17, 2004

  3. "W Chan" <> wrote in news:aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no:

    > hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    > yrs.
    > i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    It is generally best to use the lenses made by the manufacturer of your
    camera, especially with newer bodies like yours. Third party lenses are
    usually not quite as good, and there can be chip compatibility problems.
    Stick with the Nikkor glass.

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn

    Richard Cockburn, Jun 17, 2004
  4. In article <aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no>, W Chan
    <> wrote:

    > i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    By all means get the Nikkors if you can afford the focal lengths you
    want. They're spectacular at their best, and even the "lemons" (old
    43-86, for example) are usable.

    That said, I've had a lot of good experience with Tamron, especially at
    the long end. I love my current 200-400, and they're coming out with a
    new 200-500 to replace it.

    Sigma? I've never used one for long, and wasn't impressed during short
    trials. They have a reputation for interface problems (especially the
    Canon mount)

    Scott Schuckert, Jun 17, 2004
  5. In article <aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no>, W Chan
    <> wrote:

    > hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    > yrs.
    > i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    If you waste your money on anything but Nikon lenses, you will be
    disappointed, especially if you go with Sigma.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 17, 2004
  6. W Chan

    Paul Howland Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no>, W Chan
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    >>yrs.
    >>i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    >>comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    > If you waste your money on anything but Nikon lenses, you will be
    > disappointed, especially if you go with Sigma.

    Not true. There are some very good Sigma lenses in the collection - the
    70-200/2.8 and 12-24 spring to mind. These offer an excellent
    alternative to someone wanting something better than Nikkor's budget
    offerings, but not able to afford/justify the premium VR lenses.
    Certainly with both these Sigma lenses the majority of reviewers regard
    the optical and build quality as excellent. The vast majority of Nikon
    D70 owners would be delighted with these lenses. Nikon lenses are
    great, but don't let brand loyalty blind you to other excellent
    alternatives. This does not apply to all Sigma lenses - as always, do
    your research - but there are some gems in the collection, perfect for
    those looking for a mid-price lense (ie. around $1000 rather than $300
    or $3000).

    Paul

    (D70 owner, with Nikkor 18-70, 50/1.8 and Sigma 70-200 HSM)

    Paul Howland, Jun 17, 2004
  7. W Chan

    Paul Howland Guest

    gsum wrote:

    > You have a great camera. It needs the glass to do it justice. Stay
    > with mid/high range Nikkor - don't even think about anything else.
    > I have a Sigma 20mm f1.8 in my collection. It is nowhere near as
    > robust as my Nikkors and has two serious design faults, one of which
    > could damage the camera. The lens can be very easily slipped into
    > gear and the focus ring is loose and not sealed against grit.
    >
    > Graham

    This is not true of all Sigma lenses. I have the 70-200/2.8 HSM and it
    is a fantastic lenses and can't be matched by any Nikkor glass at the
    same price range (sure, the 70-200VR is better in low light, but it's
    $1000 more). The Sigma 12-24 is also an excellent lens.

    You need to take each lens on a case-by-case basis and do careful
    Internet research. Choosing blindly by brand name is a bad choice
    whatever the brand, unless money is no object.

    Paul Howland, Jun 17, 2004
  8. "W Chan" <> writes:

    > hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    > yrs.
    > i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
    it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 17, 2004
  9. W Chan

    Doug Payne Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
    > it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

    "Only with it"??? If you're referring to the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, it's available
    all over the place, at least in the US and Canada. All by itself, no camera
    attached. And yes, it's a good buy, whether or not you buy a D70.

    Doug Payne, Jun 17, 2004
  10. W Chan

    Skip M Guest

    "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    > hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    > yrs.
    > i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will
    >

    > --
    > * * * To reply, please email to
    > This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
    > Cheers.

    You should take a look at Tokina, too. Possibly ahead of Sigma...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jun 17, 2004
  11. W Chan

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:58:14 GMT, "W Chan" <> wrote:

    >hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    >yrs.
    >i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    >comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    You should have got the original 'boxed' lens, it's quite good, and has a good
    wide range considering the 1.5 crop factor. It can also focus quite close, about
    1 foot I think.

    I also use the Nikor 70-300 f4 cheap lens, it's not bad.

    And I have the Sigma 28-300 f3.5 that I use as a general purpose snapshot lens,
    it does a good job, but only focus at about 4 feet.

    Bob, Jun 18, 2004
  12. "W Chan" <> wrote in message news:<aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no>...
    > hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    > yrs.
    > i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Hee

    Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho

    STOP! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

    Michael Scarpitti, Jun 18, 2004
  13. W Chan

    Nick J Guest

    Michael Scarpitti wrote:
    > "W Chan" wrote in message...
    >
    >>hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    >>yrs.
    >>i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    >>comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    > Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

    <snip>
    > Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee

    <snip>
    > Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    >
    > STOP! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

    but Michael, what's better Ha, Hee or Ho ;-)

    Nick

    Nick J, Jun 18, 2004
  14. Doug Payne <> writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    >> Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
    >> it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

    > "Only with it"??? If you're referring to the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, it's
    > available all over the place, at least in the US and Canada. All by
    > itself, no camera attached. And yes, it's a good buy, whether or not
    > you buy a D70.

    Oops; I appear to have been misinformed. Was it initially advertised
    as only available bundled, or something?

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 18, 2004
  15. Nick J <> wrote in message news:<IasAc.756$>...
    > Michael Scarpitti wrote:
    > > "W Chan" wrote in message...
    > >
    > >>hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    > >>yrs.
    > >>i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > >>comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    > > Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

    > <snip>
    > > Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee

    > <snip>
    > > Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    > >
    > > STOP! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

    > but Michael, what's better Ha, Hee or Ho ;-)
    >
    > Nick

    Moe, Larry, Shemp, or Curl(e)y?

    Michael Scarpitti, Jun 18, 2004
  16. W Chan

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:11:14 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    wrote:

    >Doug Payne <> writes:
    >
    >> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >>
    >>> Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
    >>> it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

    >> "Only with it"??? If you're referring to the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, it's
    >> available all over the place, at least in the US and Canada. All by
    >> itself, no camera attached. And yes, it's a good buy, whether or not
    >> you buy a D70.

    >Oops; I appear to have been misinformed. Was it initially advertised
    >as only available bundled, or something?

    You may be confusing this lens with the EF-S 18-55mm lens that is only
    bundled with the Digital Rebel/300D.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 18, 2004
  17. W Chan

    Big Bill Guest

    On 18 Jun 2004 06:33:52 -0700, (Michael
    Scarpitti) wrote:

    >Nick J <> wrote in message news:<IasAc.756$>...
    >> Michael Scarpitti wrote:

    >> > Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

    >> <snip>
    >> > Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee

    >> <snip>
    >> > Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    >> >
    >> > STOP! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

    >> but Michael, what's better Ha, Hee or Ho ;-)
    >>
    >> Nick

    >Moe, Larry, Shemp, or Curl(e)y?

    Putting Shemp before Curly shows that you are only a pretender.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 18, 2004
  18. Big Bill <> writes:

    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:11:14 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Doug Payne <> writes:

    >>> "Only with it"??? If you're referring to the 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, it's
    >>> available all over the place, at least in the US and Canada. All by
    >>> itself, no camera attached. And yes, it's a good buy, whether or not
    >>> you buy a D70.

    >>Oops; I appear to have been misinformed. Was it initially advertised
    >>as only available bundled, or something?

    > You may be confusing this lens with the EF-S 18-55mm lens that is only
    > bundled with the Digital Rebel/300D.

    Oof. Probably. Now *that's* embarrassing.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 18, 2004
  19. In article <aibAc.739462$Pk3.530185@pd7tw1no>,
    "W Chan" <> wrote:

    > hi, i am a new owner of nikon d-70 (body only).. and hv owned my f401 for
    > yrs.
    > i am shopping for zoom lenses... and wud like to hear about people's
    > comments on these 3 brands.. Nikkor, Sigma, and Tamron... thks/will

    Tamron lenses are good for making 4x6 prints but they're way too low-end
    for anything better. Blurry regions will become painfully obvious in
    larger prints.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 19, 2004
  20. W Chan

    Wayne Moses Guest

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > "W Chan" <> writes:

    > Don't buy the D-70 body only; the kit lens that's available only with
    > it is an excellent buy, and you'll want it.

    He said he already had the D70 body.

    I agree that the 18-70 lens is a great lens, and well matched to this body.
    It would be the 'main lens' for this camera ... the one that stays on the
    camera most fo the time.

    This is a very interesting thread since I too would like to especially know
    which of the aftermarket lenses come out on top. Nikkors are the best as far
    as image quality go, but they are expensive. Having a lens that is much
    cheaper and that gives almost as good results is, in my mind, sound
    thinking, especially when there is so much that can be done with talented
    post-processing.

    The D70 also is capable of a lot of post-processing in the camera as well,
    so all you really need is a lens that is fast enough and sharp enough to get
    a great starting image. The rest can be done on the computer.
    --

    Regards,
    Wayne

    Wayne Moses, Jun 20, 2004