    I only
    use it very rarely and am certainly not a professional photographer.

    Thank you

    ams, Aug 15, 2004

  2. "ams" <> writes:
    > Am looking at an 8x zoom lens from CrystalVue for around $148 and
    > wondered if there are less expensive 8x zoom lenses available for
    > this camera, since I only use it very rarely and am certainly not a
    > professional photographer.

    I hope you are not offended by me saying this, but if you are talking
    about the CrystalVue 8x /teleconverter/ (the price you quote suggests
    you are), you should know that this is /not/ a zoom lens. It's an
    attachment that will multiply the focal length of the prime on your
    Kodak by 8. It will only work without vignetting at the tele end.
    On your DX 4530 it will give you the 35 mm equivalent of 114 x 8
    = 912 mm. That's a lot of tele - suitable for birdwatching and
    paparazzi style photography - but not very much else. On the wide
    end, it will work as a 300 mm - but it will also give you some
    serious vignetting.

    In contrast, an 8x /zoom/, when it is fitted as the prime lens of a
    compact camera, has typically a focal length of 28mm - 224 mm - which
    is a much more useful range for general photography.

    If what you really want is an teleconverter as extreme as 8x, there
    isn't much to give the CrytalVue competition (Kenko sells an optically
    similar unit, but it isn't really ment to be attached to a prime).

    On the other hand - if you are looking for something that gives your
    camera a tele useful for general photography - there's a lot of 2x
    and 2.5x teleconverters to choose from - prices are around $50 -
    for example the Retinar 2x Teleconverter from Kodak

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 15, 2004

  3. ams

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Gisle Hannemyr <> wrote:

    >On the other hand - if you are looking for something that gives your
    >camera a tele useful for general photography - there's a lot of 2x
    >and 2.5x teleconverters to choose from - prices are around $50 -
    >for example the Retinar 2x Teleconverter from Kodak

    Most of these things are gimmicky, though, and really don't give you any
    more detail than you would capture with the main lens, at least not
    cleanly. Images are generally soft, and with CA; nothing much better
    than you'd get by just cropping a main lens image; especially when you
    consider that you will most likely be forced to use a longer exposure
    time, in which case the chance of camera motion blur becomes tremendous
    with the narrow angle of view.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Aug 15, 2004
  4. ams

    Howard Guest

    one more caution,
    I had a 2x extender for my dx4900 kodak and it obliterated about ONE THIRD
    1/3 of the image in the view finder!

    the whole image was captured, but it took some getting used to, so as to
    know what I was capturing in the final push of the shutter button.
    Although it may be a little late (for you), I wanted a LONGER ZOOM and
    finally got the DX6490 38/380 zoom 10x optical
    it is awesome.........

    In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
    THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

    Howard, Aug 16, 2004
  5. ams

    Tussnelda Guest

    Thank you, everyone. That is why it is so nice to come here and
    ask questions. Well, I just saved $148.00.

    Appreciate it !!
    anna

    Tussnelda, Aug 16, 2004