Zonet PCMCIA wireless card -- Excellent signal, no connectivity.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Moxieman, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. Moxieman

    Moxieman Guest

    This question concerns excellent wireless network signal strength but no
    connectivity whatsoever on a certain wireless network.

    I use XP Home Edition on a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop. I have a Zonenet
    Wireless cardbus (2.4Ghz, IEEE802.11b/g) that plugs into my PCMCIA slot. I
    installed the drivers that came with the card.

    The wireless card and its software work perfectly with a public open
    wireless network. I can also use the Windows wireless connection manager with
    this card on the public open wireless network. It is not a defective card.

    My home wireless network is the problem. It uses WEP security, and when I
    give the security key to others, they can access the network with no problem.
    My system, however, connects with excellent signal strength to the network
    (I'm two feet away from the router), but refuses to assign a “default
    gateway†and I wind up with “limited or no connectivity†and cannot access
    the internet at all.

    Even going in and manually assigning IPs and default gateways (disabling the
    Zonenet program and using the Windows configuration management program) does
    no good. What is the problem? It is a Dlink router, and another desktop
    computer and friends' laptops (when I give them the secuity key) have no
    problem connecting.
    Moxieman, Mar 10, 2008

  2. "Moxieman" <> wrote in message
    > This question concerns excellent wireless network signal strength but no
    > connectivity whatsoever on a certain wireless network.

    Your PC can get excellent signal strength from a Microwave Oven that is
    sitting too close but it won't get you any communication. Signal Strength
    and Signal Quality are two different things.

    > Even going in and manually assigning IPs and default gateways (disabling
    > the
    > Zonenet program and using the Windows configuration management program)
    > does
    > no good. What is the problem? It is a Dlink router, and another desktop
    > computer and friends' laptops (when I give them the secuity key) have no
    > problem connecting.

    You probably have a Personal Firewall running on the machine that blocks the
    DHCP Queries.

    Statically giving it TCP/IP Specs should have worked but I have no way to
    know if you did those correctly.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Hi
    Assuming that the basic settings (IP etc) are correct.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    BTW, WEP is Not really secure anymore, if your Router, or the Wireless cards
    do not support WPA, consider getting new hardware that support WPA. You can
    find either hardware for less than $30.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 10, 2008
  4. Moxieman

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 10, 1:00 pm, "Phillip Windell" <> wrote:
    > "Moxieman" <> wrote in message

    > > This question concerns excellent wireless network signal strength but no
    > > connectivity whatsoever on a certain wireless network.

    > Your PC can get excellent signal strength from a Microwave Oven that is
    > sitting too close but it won't get you any communication.  Signal Strength
    > and Signal Quality are two different things.
    >
    > > Even going in and manually assigning IPs and default gateways (disabling
    > > the
    > > Zonenet program and using the Windows configuration management program)
    > > does
    > > no good. What is the problem? It is a Dlink router, and another desktop
    > > computer and friends' laptops (when I give them the secuity key) have no
    > > problem connecting.

    > You probably have a Personal Firewall running on the machine that blocks the
    > DHCP Queries.
    >
    > Statically giving it TCP/IP Specs should have worked but I have no way to
    > know if you did those correctly.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,

    WEP is probably not correctly set up on this adapter. WEP can be set
    to receive the key from the router or be set up where you enter in at
    the Zonet "client software" end.

    WEP WiFi protocol can be easily broken into. The recommended security
    protocol for most WiFi now is WPA nad WPA2.
    smlunatick, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Moxieman

    Moxieman Guest

    Re: Zonet PCMCIA wireless card -- Excellent signal, no connectivit

    Well, the microwave wasn't on, so that's not it, but the firewall on the
    laptop (XP default firewall) is. I will try disabling that. It is on,
    however, when I access the public one.

    I will let you know what happens.

    Moxieman, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Moxieman

    Moxieman Guest

    Re: Zonet PCMCIA wireless card -- Excellent signal, no connectivit

    Zonet card does handle WPA. I don't know about the router. It is fairly new,
    so I assume so. I will check the whole security key generation question in
    the next few days. Thank you.

    Moxieman, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Moxieman

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: Zonet PCMCIA wireless card -- Excellent signal, no connectivit

    On Mar 10, 2:20 pm, Moxieman <>
    wrote:
    > Zonet card does handle WPA. I don't know about the router. It is fairly new,
    > so I assume so. I will check the whole security key generation question in
    > the next few days. Thank you.
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Assuming that the basic settings (IP etc) are correct.
    > > May be this can Help,http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    > > BTW, WEP is Not really secure anymore, if your Router, or the Wireless cards
    > > do not support WPA, consider getting new hardware that support WPA. You can
    > > find either hardware for less than $30.
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > > "Moxieman" <> wrote in message
    > > > This question concerns excellent wireless network signal strength but no
    > > > connectivity whatsoever on a certain wireless network.

    > > > I use XP Home Edition on a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop. I have a Zonenet
    > > > Wireless cardbus (2.4Ghz, IEEE802.11b/g) that plugs into my PCMCIA slot. I
    > > > installed the drivers that came with the card.

    > > > The wireless card and its software work perfectly with a public open
    > > > wireless network. I can also use the Windows wireless connection manager
    > > > with
    > > > this card on the public open wireless network. It is not a defective card.

    > > > My home wireless network is the problem. It uses WEP security, and when I
    > > > give the security key to others, they can access the network with no
    > > > problem.
    > > > My system, however, connects with excellent signal strength to the network
    > > > (I'm two feet away from the router), but refuses to assign a "default
    > > > gateway" and I wind up with "limited or no connectivity" and cannot access
    > > > the internet at all.

    > > > Even going in and manually assigning IPs and default gateways (disabling
    > > > the
    > > > Zonenet program and using the Windows configuration management program)
    > > > does
    > > > no good. What is the problem? It is a Dlink router, and another desktop
    > > > computer and friends' laptops (when I give them the secuity key) have no
    > > > problem connecting.- Hide quoted text -

    I do not know which exact model but a quick scan of Zonet USA's web
    site seem to indicate that most 802.11g PCMCIA / Card Bus adapter can
    do WPA. Check with their web site: http://www.zonetusa.com
    smlunatick, Mar 10, 2008
  8. Yes that is true.
    I have seen the security fail to negotiate properly and the client would
    never get an IP from DHCP.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com