    banner ads (*ever*), and have scanned for spy/ad/malware and so why not
    keep on using the XPsp2 FW? it's making downloading , surfing , etc...
    ALOT faster...
    Muze Groops, Dec 30, 2007

  2. Muze Groops

    philo Guest

    "Muze Groops" <> wrote in message
    news:477801c9$0$7199$...
    > and everywhere (almost)
    >
    > Well I have the 'vonage device' to make calls over the net. And I *had*
    > (uninstalled it) Zonealarm, but it keeps blocking outbound connections
    > that are not of a malicious nature. I have ran every scan in the book
    > and found nothing. Zonealarm acts as a router (motorola) and I turn on
    > DMZ to open all the ports and then Zonealarm works just fine... well a
    > couple days later my router turns DMZ off! I didn't turn off the router
    > or reboot it etc... Vonage is also messing up utorrent, and other
    > programs. anyway before I start rambling too much I'll end it here and
    > drink some more coffee (just work up!) Help is definitely appreciated,
    > because I am relying on the XPsp2 FW for the time being. But you know...
    > I don't visit porn sites, open suspicious emails, I don't click on
    > banner ads (*ever*), and have scanned for spy/ad/malware and so why not
    > keep on using the XPsp2 FW? it's making downloading , surfing , etc...
    > ALOT faster...

    Yes...I have seen that quite often with Zone Alarm...
    I'd just re-install it and allow all the connections you need
    philo, Dec 30, 2007

  3. Muze Groops

    elaich Guest

    Muze Groops <> wrote in news:477801c9$0$7199
    $:

    > and everywhere (almost)

    Both ZoneAlarm and Vonage are things best avoided.

    Wait until you try to cancel Vonage, and cannot get a real live person on
    the other end. I've read where people have sat on hold for 8 hours without
    success.
    elaich, Dec 30, 2007
  4. Muze Groops

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:38:38 -0500, Muze Groops <>
    wrote:

    >and everywhere (almost)

    <SNIP>

    Yep. Same problem I had with Zone Alarm. Uninstalled it, installed
    Sunbelt Kerio Firewall. MUCH better.
    Evan Platt, Dec 30, 2007
  5. Muze Groops wrote:

    > and everywhere (almost)
    >
    > Well I have the 'vonage device' to make calls over the net. And I *had*
    > (uninstalled it) Zonealarm, but it keeps blocking outbound connections
    > that are not of a malicious nature. I have ran every scan in the book
    > and found nothing. Zonealarm acts as a router (motorola) and I turn on
    > DMZ to open all the ports and then Zonealarm works just fine... well a
    > couple days later my router turns DMZ off! I didn't turn off the router
    > or reboot it etc... Vonage is also messing up utorrent, and other
    > programs. anyway before I start rambling too much I'll end it here and
    > drink some more coffee (just work up!) Help is definitely appreciated,
    > because I am relying on the XPsp2 FW for the time being. But you know...
    > I don't visit porn sites, open suspicious emails, I don't click on
    > banner ads (*ever*), and have scanned for spy/ad/malware and so why not
    > keep on using the XPsp2 FW? it's making downloading , surfing , etc...
    > ALOT faster...

    "Desktop firewalls" are severly overrated, just because they occasionally
    barf about some "intrusion attempts" and thus keep the user in a safe cosy
    feeling "i have a watchdog doing it's job".
    Now, do not forget, a malicious program that is caught by a "desktop
    firewall" already *has* been installed, and next time it may circumvent the
    firewall due to a accidental click. Other trojans/worms may already have
    circumvented the "desktop firewall" by disguising as/backpacking on
    harmless allowed programs or protocols.
    XPs firewall works fine against incoming maybe-threats, while a simple NAT
    router could do almost the same. For securiing your box from unsolicited
    installs of trojan downloaders or worms, you should
    - never surf the net or read e-mails as a member of the administrators group
    - have a good on-access-scanner (kaspersky, nod32 are good but don't use and
    pay for the "internet security" bloatware suites)
    - and a registry monitor like spybots teatimer

    Most "internet security suites" install local proxies for scanning internet
    content and mails. That's bloatware, asking for troubles when your ISP/mail
    configuration changes, and probably adding even more vulnerabilities.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 1, 2008