    anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
    it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
    the paid version.
    steve, Sep 19, 2007

  2. steve

    ellis_jay Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update
    > just available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently
    > installed. Has anyone else been invited to download the update? I
    > don't want to download it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm
    > designed to trick me into buying the paid version.

    You can do what you want, but me, I just ignore the updates, wait a while,
    investigate later at some future date-month or three- and then check it out.
    I see no sense in fixing what ain't broke. Many times the updates are
    skins, or paid version swarthyness-bloat-. Sometimes the update is a whole
    new version and I uninstall the old-wipe it clean, that is- and download the
    new.

    But in the mean time I listen to what others are saying about the update and
    read lots before I update.

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Sep 19, 2007

  3. steve

    Guest

    "steve" <> wrote:

    >I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
    >available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
    >anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
    >it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
    >the paid version.

    Don't care, I'm sticking to version 5.5.094

    --

    Cunning Stunt
    http://www.wimp.com/f/carstunt.swf
  4. steve

    chuckie® Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
    > available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
    > anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
    > it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
    > the paid version.

    Apparently I'm not as cautious as y'all. I downloaded the update and
    installed it. Now, bear in mind, I got just the update, not the 'free'
    trial. And all seems to be running fine. No drastic changes are apparent,
    wondering if it isn't, after all, just a gimmick to get one to buy the
    'Professional' version, or their 'Suite'...hmmmm...
    chuckie®, Sep 20, 2007
  5. steve

    Top Guest

    chuckie® wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
    >> available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
    >> anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
    >> it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
    >> the paid version.
    >>

    > Apparently I'm not as cautious as y'all. I downloaded the update and
    > installed it. Now, bear in mind, I got just the update, not the 'free'
    > trial. And all seems to be running fine. No drastic changes are apparent,
    > wondering if it isn't, after all, just a gimmick to get one to buy the
    > 'Professional' version, or their 'Suite'...hmmmm...

    Surely you don't think those commie bastards would that.

    Top
    Top, Sep 20, 2007
  6. steve

    Muze Groops Guest

    wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
    >> available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
    >> anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
    >> it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
    >> the paid version.

    > Don't care, I'm sticking to version 5.5.094

    I've got CA (ZA) 5.5.114

    Should I be "alarmed" ?
    Muze Groops, Sep 20, 2007
  7. steve

    Guest

    Muze Groops <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> "steve" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
    >>> available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
    >>> anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
    >>> it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
    >>> the paid version.

    >> Don't care, I'm sticking to version 5.5.094
    >>

    >I've got CA (ZA) 5.5.114
    >
    >Should I be "alarmed" ?

    :) if it works for you tho it's not archived
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

    5.5..094 was the version just before it went bloatware, I did
    6.xxxsaw what it was and dropped back to 5.5.094, and that's where I
    stay with ZA.

    --

    Pictures that changed the world
    http://pinguy.infogami.com/blog/vwm6
  8. steve

    Cub Guest

    > You can do what you want, but me, I just ignore the updates, wait a while,
    > investigate later at some future date-month or three- and then check it
    > out.
    > I see no sense in fixing what ain't broke. Many times the updates are
    > skins, or paid version swarthyness-bloat-. Sometimes the update is a
    > whole
    > new version and I uninstall the old-wipe it clean, that is- and download
    > the
    > new.
    >
    > But in the mean time I listen to what others are saying about the update
    > and
    > read lots before I update.

    Do you update your antivirus software or wait a few months ?

    I guess you update immediatly

    treat zone alarm the same , it is not an UPGRADE but an UPDATE of the free
    version
    Cub, Sep 21, 2007
  9. steve

    ellis_jay Guest

    Cub wrote:
    >> You can do what you want, but me, I just ignore the updates, wait a
    >> while, investigate later at some future date-month or three- and
    >> then check it out.
    >> I see no sense in fixing what ain't broke. Many times the updates
    >> are skins, or paid version swarthyness-bloat-. Sometimes the update
    >> is a whole
    >> new version and I uninstall the old-wipe it clean, that is- and
    >> download the
    >> new.
    >>
    >> But in the mean time I listen to what others are saying about the
    >> update and
    >> read lots before I update.
    >>

    > Do you update your antivirus software or wait a few months ?

    I update my virus whenever there are new definitions of worms, trojans, etc.

    > I guess you update immediatly

    With aVG or Spybot, yes.

    > treat zone alarm the same , it is not an UPGRADE but an UPDATE of the
    > free version

    Sorry, no can do. You say this update is not an UPGRADE, and that may be,
    but that scenario does not hold true each and every time in these kinds of
    updates.

    ellis_jay, Sep 22, 2007