    virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
    connection to the internet.

    Thanks.

    Peter Maurice Cram, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Peter Maurice Cram

    Joe Guest

    "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    > I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
    > thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton

    2004
    > security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about free
    > virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
    > connection to the internet.
    >
    > Thanks.

    just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software firewall

    Joe, Oct 24, 2004

  3. "Joe" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    >> I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
    >> thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton

    > 2004
    >> security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about
    >> free
    >> virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
    >> connection to the internet.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software firewall

    Yes, I've about hardware firewall in a router, but I've also heard that it
    is a good idea to run a software firewall with it. Just'in Case! A good guy
    : ).

    Thanks

    Peter Maurice Cram, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Peter Maurice Cram

    Thor Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    >> I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
    >> thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton

    > 2004
    >> security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about
    >> free
    >> virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
    >> connection to the internet.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software firewall

    they are nice because they are hardware, but realize that they don't don't
    warn the user about unauthorized outbound connection attempts like software
    firewalls do. So whether they are truly "better" is debatable.

    Thor, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Peter Maurice Cram

    Thagor Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    >>> I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've
    >>> been thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace
    >>> my Norton

    >> 2004
    >>> security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know
    >>> about free
    >>> virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
    >>> connection to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> just buy a router and that will be waaay better then any software
    >> firewall

    > they are nice because they are hardware, but realize that they don't
    > don't warn the user about unauthorized outbound connection attempts
    > like software firewalls do. So whether they are truly "better" is
    > debatable.

    In either case, you can use the free firewall program with a free virus
    program and go the distance. Anything but Norton!

    Thagor, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Peter Maurice Cram

    effi Guest

    "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    >I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on ZoneAlarm. I've been
    >thinking about purchasing ZoneAlarm Security Suite to replace my Norton
    >2004 security program. I really want to replace Norton's, and I know about
    >free virus protection, but I also need a firewall, as I have a constant
    >connection to the internet.
    >
    > Thanks.

    one version of zone alarm is free = free firewall

    one version of AVG antivirus software is free = free antivirus protection

    both are available free on the internet,
    together theses two supposedly work fine and some say they've used both for
    years and never had a virus
    (others say different - all issues will have people on both sides)

    vs.

    norton internet security = not free firewall and antivirus protection

    noting both zone alarm and AVG have pay versions = also not free firewall
    and antivirus protection

    six of one, half a dozen of the other...
    ford, chevrolet...

    effi, Dec 1, 2004