    I heard that ZA Pro calls home without the users knowledge, does anyone know
    of a registry tweak to stop this happening.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 30, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    Michael-NC Guest

    And where did you hear this?

    Michael-NC, May 30, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I read about on a site, believe me ZA Pro 4.5 does do that.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 30, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I've found a registry tweak to stop this now.

    Close ZoneAlarm.
    Open up your registry editor.
    Go to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm
    In the right pane, you will see CfgMain, double click that.
    Use your keyboard's arrow keys to downwards until you reached 0028.
    On line #6 (0028), press the right arrow key 5 times, then hit Backspace.
    After you are done the step above, type 00 on your keyboard.
    Then click OK.
    Restart ZoneAlarm...

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 30, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    Michael-NC Guest

    I have the app and there serveral options about how the program can make
    contact. What are you concerned about?

    Michael-NC, May 30, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I'm concerned about things going on in my PC without my knowledge.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 30, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:c9dh3s$ceu$:

    > I'm concerned about things going on in my PC without my knowledge.

    Why? If you don't trust ZoneLabs you shouldn't have their software
    protecting your computer.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    It's not that I don't trust them, I know that it's not a threat to my
    computer but like I said I don't like things going on in my PC without my
    knowledge. I use Norton Internet Security most of the time but I have to
    take it off when download from certain sites.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 30, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in news:c9dhs3$lbc$:

    > I use Norton Internet Security most of the time but I have to
    > take it off when download from certain sites.

    I actually sit at a desk all day and tell people who call in saying "I
    can't connect to your FTP server, your service stinks", very calmly, that
    the NIS package they installed has killed their internet service. They
    remove it, everything works fine, everybody is happy. I think NIS is the
    second largest pile of poop on the planet, surpassed only by the McAfee
    equivilent.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > I'm concerned about things going on in my PC without my knowledge.

    And that would be without ZA or your knowledge as well, since any malware
    can beat a PFW solution.

    Malware can easily beat any PFW solution with all the little bells and
    whistles, since the solution is not an integrated O/S component, like IPsec
    or soon XP's SP2 FW solution that will be able to get to the TCP/IP
    connection first at boot. That's when the machine is most vulnerable is at
    the boot process and unknown Internet connections.

    In addition, malware can circumvent any PFW solution and that's why it's
    best that you look for yourself on a routine basis with something like
    Active Ports (free) to watch inbound and outbound connections being made on
    the machine.

    I like to put a short-cut for Active Ports in the Startup folder and set
    Active Ports' Refresh rate to *high* as it gives me a clear picture as to
    what's happening on the machine with connections at boot.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 30, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    There's little chance I have any malware or spyware on my computer. I have
    Ad-aware 6 Pro, SpyBlaster, Spy Bot Search & Destroy and CWShredder and I
    run them all on a regular basis.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 30, 2004
  12. Lloyd Jones

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > There's little chance I have any malware or spyware on my computer. I
    > have Ad-aware 6 Pro, SpyBlaster, Spy Bot Search & Destroy and
    > CWShredder and I run them all on a regular basis.
    >
    > LJ

    What are you talking about here? That kind of programming technology is
    always a step behind something hitting in the wild -- day zero. It must
    be recognized first as a threat by the above programming technology you
    mention. If the above technology cannot recognize it, then it's a moot
    point. I have seen users post about something phoning home and was hit by
    all the programming technology you mention above and some AV(s) and none
    of them found a thing.

    And I am not talking about some *clueless* home users either. These were
    professionals trying to track down a Trojan exploit that went undetected
    on servers by any applications designed to detect it. I told them they
    had to track it down with something like Process Explorer (free), which
    they were able to use and find the exploit.

    You say it cannot happen to you. And I say you're out here on the
    Internet and you're fair game. What makes you think it cannot happen to
    you? They have to practice on somebody. :)

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 30, 2004
  13. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I did not say "it cannot happen to me". But thanks for the link.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 31, 2004
  14. Lloyd Jones

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:57:36 +0100, "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >It's not that I don't trust them, I know that it's not a threat to my
    >computer but like I said I don't like things going on in my PC without my
    >knowledge. I use Norton Internet Security most of the time but I have to
    >take it off when download from certain sites.
    >
    >LJ

    If you can't block Zone Alarm's site with Zone Alarm...you need to use
    a different firewall!! ROTFLMAO !!!

    Remember to honor our troops...past and present.

    And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 31, 2004