    I disabled the AVG update service, so AVG won't be automatically
    connecting anymore, but if AVG can do it, so can any other
    program. Which makes ZoneAlarm more or less worthless.
    Al Smith, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Al Smith

    John Hyde Guest

    on 8/9/2006 2:03 PM Al Smith said the following:
    > The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though the
    > icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the firewall
    > itself is running and working immediately to block any Internet traffic
    > to or from your computer.
    >
    > Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm Free
    > 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and download
    > its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.
    >
    > There's no doubt about this. I do not have any permissions in ZoneAlarm
    > to allow AVG access, and no warning popped up in ZoneAlarm telling me
    > that AVG wanted to access the Internet.
    >
    > I disabled the AVG update service, so AVG won't be automatically
    > connecting anymore, but if AVG can do it, so can any other program.
    > Which makes ZoneAlarm more or less worthless.

    Which raises the question, can't you control this by changing the load
    order? Personally, I think I'd rather have my AV software load first so
    it can take a look at anything else that loads. I use Kaspersky, i can
    imagine a malware that loads B4 KAV, and hides itself from KAV. But KAV
    can handle it if you can reverse the order.

    Anyone know how to do this and if it is desirable?
    John Hyde, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >> The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though the icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the firewall itself is running and working immediately to block any Internet traffic to or from your computer.
    >>
    >> Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm Free 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and download its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.
    >>
    >> There's no doubt about this. I do not have any permissions in ZoneAlarm to allow AVG access, and no warning popped up in ZoneAlarm telling me that AVG wanted to access the Internet.
    >>
    >> I disabled the AVG update service, so AVG won't be automatically connecting anymore, but if AVG can do it, so can any other program. Which makes ZoneAlarm more or less worthless.

    > Which raises the question, can't you control this by changing the load order? Personally, I think I'd rather have my AV software load first so it can take a look at anything else that loads. I use Kaspersky, i can imagine a malware that loads B4 KAV, and hides itself from KAV. But KAV can handle it if you can reverse the order.
    >
    > Anyone know how to do this and if it is desirable?

    Seems to me that the firewall should load first when you have an
    always-on Internet connection. It's worrying, only because if AVG
    can load before ZA, probably anything else can also. Major point I
    wanted to make is that when ZoneAlarm tells you that the firewall
    loads first, even though the icon may not be up on the screen,
    they are lying through their teeth.
    Al Smith, Aug 10, 2006
  4. Al Smith

    John Hyde Guest

    on 8/9/2006 4:04 PM Al Smith said the following:
    >>> The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though
    >>> the icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the
    >>> firewall itself is running and working immediately to block any
    >>> Internet traffic to or from your computer.
    >>>
    >>> Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm Free
    >>> 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and download
    >>> its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.
    >>>
    >>> There's no doubt about this. I do not have any permissions in
    >>> ZoneAlarm to allow AVG access, and no warning popped up in ZoneAlarm
    >>> telling me that AVG wanted to access the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> I disabled the AVG update service, so AVG won't be automatically
    >>> connecting anymore, but if AVG can do it, so can any other program.
    >>> Which makes ZoneAlarm more or less worthless.

    >> Which raises the question, can't you control this by changing the load
    >> order? Personally, I think I'd rather have my AV software load first
    >> so it can take a look at anything else that loads. I use Kaspersky, i
    >> can imagine a malware that loads B4 KAV, and hides itself from KAV.
    >> But KAV can handle it if you can reverse the order.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how to do this and if it is desirable?

    > Seems to me that the firewall should load first when you have an
    > always-on Internet connection. It's worrying, only because if AVG can
    > load before ZA, probably anything else can also. Major point I wanted to
    > make is that when ZoneAlarm tells you that the firewall loads first,
    > even though the icon may not be up on the screen, they are lying through
    > their teeth.

    Oh, I got that. And I see your point about the FW first. Basically I
    see both AV and FW as basic level services and IMHO the only things that
    should load before either are the services that are essential to getting
    the FW and AV to function.

    In the specific case of ZA, maybe they aren't "lying" per se, just
    wrong. Suppose their installer is designed to have the FW load first,
    and as far as they know, it works. But AVG is designed to do the same
    thing (since the AVG coders think the order should be AV then FW) and
    their software "won" the load first battle.

    Shouldn't the user be able to control this behavior? Gee, I'm back to
    my original question. Buhler? . . . Buhler? . . . Anyone? . . . Anyone?

    ;-)

    JH
    John Hyde, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Al Smith

    B. Nice Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:04:14 GMT, Al Smith <>
    wrote:

    >>> The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though the icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the firewall itself is running and working immediately to block any Internet traffic to or from your computer.
    >>>
    >>> Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm Free 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and download its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.
    >>>
    >>> There's no doubt about this. I do not have any permissions in ZoneAlarm to allow AVG access, and no warning popped up in ZoneAlarm telling me that AVG wanted to access the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> I disabled the AVG update service, so AVG won't be automatically connecting anymore, but if AVG can do it, so can any other program. Which makes ZoneAlarm more or less worthless.

    >> Which raises the question, can't you control this by changing the load order? Personally, I think I'd rather have my AV software load first so it can take a look at anything else that loads. I use Kaspersky, i can imagine a malware that loads B4 KAV, and hides itself from KAV. But KAV can handle it if you can reverse the order.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how to do this and if it is desirable?

    >Seems to me that the firewall should load first when you have an
    >always-on Internet connection. It's worrying, only because if AVG
    >can load before ZA, probably anything else can also.

    AFAIK, the only firewall that does that truly reliably is the build-in
    windows firewall (XXP SP2) since it is an integral part of the OS.
    It has a special (non-configurable) boot-time filter allowing only
    initial network traffic (DNS, DHCP etc.) until machine is running and
    firewall is in place. That's when the "normal" filtering rules take
    effect.

    >Major point I wanted to make is that when ZoneAlarm tells you that
    >the firewall loads first, even though the icon may not be up on the screen,
    >they are lying through their teeth.

    I wonder why that would'nt surprise me.
    B. Nice, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Al Smith

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:03:10 GMT, Al Smith <>
    wrote:

    >The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though
    >the icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the
    >firewall itself is running and working immediately to block any
    >Internet traffic to or from your computer.
    >
    >Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm
    >Free 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and
    >download its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.

    I don't see what you mean. I'm using ZA 6.1.744.001 and AVG doesn't
    update without ZA asking for permission. I deleted the AVG Update
    download entry from ZA's program list, and it ask for permission on
    the next update. It seems to be working as I expect it to for me. :/
    --
    Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA <>
    Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/
    Zilbandy, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >>Seems to me that the firewall should load first when you have an
    >>>always-on Internet connection. It's worrying, only because if AVG
    >>>can load before ZA, probably anything else can also.

    > AFAIK, the only firewall that does that truly reliably is the build-in
    > windows firewall (XXP SP2) since it is an integral part of the OS.
    > It has a special (non-configurable) boot-time filter allowing only
    > initial network traffic (DNS, DHCP etc.) until machine is running and
    > firewall is in place. That's when the "normal" filtering rules take
    > effect.

    I'd be tempted to run the Windows firewall in combination with
    ZoneAlarm, except that ZoneAlarm wants to deactivate the Windows
    firewall when it runs (probably for good reasons -- conflicts).
    I'm not sure if I can turn the Windows firewall on in any case
    with ZoneAlarm running, but I guess I can try.
    Al Smith, Aug 10, 2006
  8. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >>Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm
    >>>Free 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and
    >>>download its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.

    > I don't see what you mean. I'm using ZA 6.1.744.001 and AVG doesn't
    > update without ZA asking for permission. I deleted the AVG Update
    > download entry from ZA's program list, and it ask for permission on
    > the next update. It seems to be working as I expect it to for me. :/

    Sure it asks for permission -- if ZoneAlarm is running. Maybe on
    your machine, ZoneAlarm starts before AVG. On my machine, AVG
    starts first.
    Al Smith, Aug 10, 2006
  9. Al Smith

    B. Nice Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:42:00 -0700, John Hyde <>
    wrote:

    >on 8/9/2006 2:03 PM Al Smith said the following:
    >> The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though the
    >> icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the firewall
    >> itself is running and working immediately to block any Internet traffic
    >> to or from your computer.
    >>
    >> Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm Free
    >> 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and download
    >> its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.
    >>
    >> There's no doubt about this. I do not have any permissions in ZoneAlarm
    >> to allow AVG access, and no warning popped up in ZoneAlarm telling me
    >> that AVG wanted to access the Internet.
    >>
    >> I disabled the AVG update service, so AVG won't be automatically
    >> connecting anymore, but if AVG can do it, so can any other program.
    >> Which makes ZoneAlarm more or less worthless.

    >Which raises the question, can't you control this by changing the load
    >order?

    Why should he? - ZoneLabs claim all their products provide boot-time
    protection. I qoute:

    "In addition, security has been further hardened across the entire
    ZoneAlarm product line with the addition of "boot-time protection,"
    which begins protecting the PC before network drivers are loaded. This
    extra layer protects the PC at the earliest possible opportunity, thus
    providing no window of opportunity for malicious programs to
    communicate." - pasted from
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2004/pr_zass50.html

    So of course it should work, or otherwise we will just start to
    believe they are lying.
    B. Nice, Aug 10, 2006
  10. Al Smith

    B. Nice Guest

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:50:40 GMT, Al Smith <>
    wrote:

    >>>Seems to me that the firewall should load first when you have an

    >> AFAIK, the only firewall that does that truly reliably is the build-in
    >> windows firewall (XXP SP2) since it is an integral part of the OS.
    >> It has a special (non-configurable) boot-time filter allowing only
    >> initial network traffic (DNS, DHCP etc.) until machine is running and
    >> firewall is in place. That's when the "normal" filtering rules take
    >> effect.
    >>

    >I'd be tempted to run the Windows firewall in combination with
    >ZoneAlarm, except that ZoneAlarm wants to deactivate the Windows
    >firewall when it runs (probably for good reasons -- conflicts).
    >I'm not sure if I can turn the Windows firewall on in any case
    >with ZoneAlarm running, but I guess I can try.

    Maybe you should just get rid of ZoneAlarm.

    What version of ZA? Free or Pro?

    What do you expect ZoneAlarm to do for you?
    B. Nice, Aug 10, 2006
  11. Al Smith

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <ifLCg.1585$395.1452@edtnps90>, says...
    > >>Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm

    > > I don't see what you mean. I'm using ZA 6.1.744.001 and AVG doesn't
    > > update without ZA asking for permission. I deleted the AVG Update
    > > download entry from ZA's program list, and it ask for permission on
    > > the next update. It seems to be working as I expect it to for me. :/

    > Sure it asks for permission -- if ZoneAlarm is running. Maybe on
    > your machine, ZoneAlarm starts before AVG. On my machine, AVG
    > starts first.

    They both run as a service and start up before other apps. It's highly
    doubtful that AVG has time to do an entire update prior to the ZA
    service loading, so I'd say there is something hosed somewhere in your
    setup there. Perhaps the True Vector service isn't even loading at all?
    Sounds very fishy...

    --
    Kerodo
    Kerodo, Aug 11, 2006
  12. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    > "In addition, security has been further hardened across the entire
    > ZoneAlarm product line with the addition of "boot-time protection,"
    > which begins protecting the PC before network drivers are loaded. This
    > extra layer protects the PC at the earliest possible opportunity, thus
    > providing no window of opportunity for malicious programs to
    > communicate." - pasted from
    > http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2004/pr_zass50.html
    >
    > So of course it should work, or otherwise we will just start to
    > believe they are lying.

    They are lying, believe it. The update of AVG that occurred the
    last time only took about two seconds, but it happened, and no
    alert from ZoneAlarm. I got the AVG screen saying the update had
    completed successfully.
    Al Smith, Aug 11, 2006
  13. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >>> Sure it asks for permission -- if ZoneAlarm is running. Maybe on
    >>> your machine, ZoneAlarm starts before AVG. On my machine, AVG
    >>> starts first.
    >>>

    > They both run as a service and start up before other apps. It's highly
    > doubtful that AVG has time to do an entire update prior to the ZA
    > service loading, so I'd say there is something hosed somewhere in your
    > setup there. Perhaps the True Vector service isn't even loading at all?
    > Sounds very fishy...
    >
    > --

    I'm going to try updating to the latest version of ZoneAlarm.
    Maybe the fresh install will reposition the firewall so that it
    loads first, before AVG. Worth a try at least.
    Al Smith, Aug 11, 2006
  14. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >>>I'd be tempted to run the Windows firewall in combination with
    >>>ZoneAlarm, except that ZoneAlarm wants to deactivate the Windows
    >>>firewall when it runs (probably for good reasons -- conflicts).
    >>>I'm not sure if I can turn the Windows firewall on in any case
    >>>with ZoneAlarm running, but I guess I can try.

    > Maybe you should just get rid of ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > What version of ZA? Free or Pro?
    >
    > What do you expect ZoneAlarm to do for you?

    I'm presently using version 6.1.737 of ZA Free. I like the gui of
    ZoneAlarm better than any other firewall I've tried, and I've
    tried a few. I also like the animated ZA icon which shows incoming
    and outgoing network traffic.

    What I expect ZoneAlarm to do is was it says it will do -- prevent
    any programs on my machine from phoning home without my permission.
    Al Smith, Aug 11, 2006
  15. Al Smith

    B. Nice Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:33:35 GMT, Al Smith <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >I'm presently using version 6.1.737 of ZA Free. I like the gui of
    >ZoneAlarm better than any other firewall I've tried, and I've
    >tried a few.

    >I also like the animated ZA icon which shows incoming
    >and outgoing network traffic.

    Please don't make that a justification for using ZoneAlarm :)

    >What I expect ZoneAlarm to do is was it says it will do -- prevent
    >any programs on my machine from phoning home without my permission.

    Well, in that case I am sorry I will have to disappoint you. It
    does'nt. To be very polite, the free version leaks like a sieve. My
    own leaktests (and I did some of those, once again, on the latest
    version of ZA free just a few days ago) confirm that. And
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests_overview.php (press the "view
    results" button at the bottom) confirms it.

    Even ZoneLabs themselves confirm that the free version cannot cope
    with clever malware techniques. And they don't intend to fix it
    either. Those methods are (funny enough) only beaten by a new
    "groundbreaking" technique called "OSFirewall" in their pro version.
    Well, that's yet another new word that does'nt even exist, though. It
    seems like ZoneLabs made that up in order to add another smart-looking
    buzzword to their web-site.
    B. Nice, Aug 11, 2006
  16. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    >>I'm presently using version 6.1.737 of ZA Free. I like the gui of
    >>>ZoneAlarm better than any other firewall I've tried, and I've
    >>>tried a few.

    >>>I also like the animated ZA icon which shows incoming
    >>>and outgoing network traffic.

    > Please don't make that a justification for using ZoneAlarm :)

    Hey, it's a nice animated icon. :)

    >>>What I expect ZoneAlarm to do is was it says it will do -- prevent
    >>>any programs on my machine from phoning home without my permission.

    > Well, in that case I am sorry I will have to disappoint you. It
    > does'nt. To be very polite, the free version leaks like a sieve. My
    > own leaktests (and I did some of those, once again, on the latest
    > version of ZA free just a few days ago) confirm that. And
    > http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests_overview.php (press the "view
    > results" button at the bottom) confirms it.
    >
    > Even ZoneLabs themselves confirm that the free version cannot cope
    > with clever malware techniques. And they don't intend to fix it
    > either. Those methods are (funny enough) only beaten by a new
    > "groundbreaking" technique called "OSFirewall" in their pro version.
    > Well, that's yet another new word that does'nt even exist, though. It
    > seems like ZoneLabs made that up in order to add another smart-looking
    > buzzword to their web-site.

    I just tried updating ZoneAlarm to the latest version. AVG still
    updated itself at bootup as if ZoneAlarm wasn't even there --
    because it wasn't, not having started yet. I stopped the antivirus
    update in the middle myself, and the damn thing buggered up on me,
    and later refused to finish the update, so I'm probably going to

    I'm looking for a simple free firewall to replace ZoneAlarm. I
    don't want anything that's going to be so puzzling I won't know if
    I'm wide open, but I want one that gives me full stealth (which
    seems to me a minimum requirement in a firewall).

    I tried Safety.Net 3.61, and it seemed to work fine, but gave a
    puzzling result. Each time I'd boot, explorer.exe would install
    itself in the list of approved programs, with checks beside both
    local and internet. If I blocked it, the next boot would unblock
    it again. I didn't know if this was a fault in the firewall, or
    just something normal that I didn't understand. I did check on the
    location of explorer.exe, and it was starting from the right
    place, C:\Windows, so this suggests that it wasn't a trojan, but I
    didn't understand the behavior. Maybe this wasn't showing up in
    ZoneAlarm because ZoneAlarm wasn't even running that early in the
    boot process?

    I'm thinking I may try Sygate again. Any suggests for a free firewall?
    Al Smith, Aug 11, 2006
  17. Al Smith

    B. Nice Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:03:58 GMT, Al Smith <>
    wrote:

    >I'm thinking I may try Sygate again.

    I thought you were going for something that would increase security?

    >Any suggests for a free firewall?

    Assuming you are running XP SP2, the build-in free one.

    BTW, did you check with the owners of address.com if your e-mail
    address is okay to use?
    B. Nice, Aug 12, 2006
  18. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    > BTW, did you check with the owners of address.com if your e-mail
    > address is okay to use?

    It works for me. :)
    Al Smith, Aug 13, 2006
  19. Al Smith

    B. Nice Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 03:27:18 GMT, Al Smith <>
    wrote:

    >> BTW, did you check with the owners of address.com if your e-mail
    >> address is okay to use?

    >It works for me. :)

    So does my always-on outdoor radio.
    B. Nice, Aug 13, 2006
  20. Al Smith

    John Hyde Guest

    on 8/10/2006 1:49 PM B. Nice said the following:
    > On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:42:00 -0700, John Hyde <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> on 8/9/2006 2:03 PM Al Smith said the following:
    >>> The ZoneAlarm people have always given assurances that even though the
    >>> icon for ZoneAlarm take a while to show up on the monitor, the firewall
    >>> itself is running and working immediately to block any Internet traffic
    >>> to or from your computer.
    >>>
    >>> Well, bullshit. I recently installed AVG. I'm running ZoneAlarm Free
    >>> 6.1.737. AVG can phone home from my computer at boot-up, and download
    >>> its anti-virus update *before* ZoneAlarm starts.
    >>>
    >>> There's no doubt about this. I do not have any permissions in ZoneAlarm
    >>> to allow AVG access, and no warning popped up in ZoneAlarm telling me
    >>> that AVG wanted to access the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> I disabled the AVG update service, so AVG won't be automatically
    >>> connecting anymore, but if AVG can do it, so can any other program.
    >>> Which makes ZoneAlarm more or less worthless.

    >> Which raises the question, can't you control this by changing the load
    >> order?

    > Why should he? - ZoneLabs claim all their products provide boot-time
    > protection. I qoute:

    <SNIP>
    > So of course it should work, or otherwise we will just start to
    > believe they are lying.

    Ok, I agree. They say that their product loads first and it doesn't.

    But suppose someone wants to keep zonealarm; perhaps they like the
    animated icon ;-) Or perhaps their version of ZA loads first and they
    want their AV to load first instead . . .

    I still wonder if there is a way to manually control load order. Or are
    you just stuck with whatever windows decides to do?
    John Hyde, Aug 14, 2006