    --
    DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
    Contact Me: http://about.dreamcities.net/contact.html

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=, Dec 29, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=

    Stan Cook Guest

    Samuël ML Lison wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am currently running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:5.5.062.000
    >
    > I know there is an update available but have since rolled back to this
    > version for the reason that after updating, Mozilla Thunderbird will no
    > longer connect to my mail server to receive or send e-mails.
    >
    > Is there a new setting which I am unaware of causing this? I really like
    > ZoneAlarm and am a dedicated customer; but if it's suddenly going to
    > stop working as I intend it to?...
    >

    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Samuël ML Lison

    What operating system are you running? I am running
    ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.004 with Thunderbird and it's working fine
    with Win98.

    Stan Cook, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Stan Cook wrote:
    > Samuël ML Lison wrote:
    >
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> I am currently running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:5.5.062.000
    >>
    >> I know there is an update available but have since rolled back to this
    >> version for the reason that after updating, Mozilla Thunderbird will
    >> no longer connect to my mail server to receive or send e-mails.
    >>
    >> Is there a new setting which I am unaware of causing this? I really
    >> like ZoneAlarm and am a dedicated customer; but if it's suddenly going
    >> to stop working as I intend it to?...
    >>

    >> Yours Sincerely,
    >> Samuël ML Lison
    >>

    > What operating system are you running? I am running
    > ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.004 with Thunderbird and it's working fine
    > with Win98.

    Windows XP Professional here.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Samuël ML Lison

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=, Jan 2, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=

    sh4d03 Guest

    Samuël ML Lison wrote:
    > Stan Cook wrote:
    >
    >> Samuël ML Lison wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello All,
    >>>
    >>> I am currently running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:5.5.062.000
    >>>
    >>> I know there is an update available but have since rolled back to
    >>> this version for the reason that after updating, Mozilla Thunderbird
    >>> will no longer connect to my mail server to receive or send e-mails.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a new setting which I am unaware of causing this? I really
    >>> like ZoneAlarm and am a dedicated customer; but if it's suddenly
    >>> going to stop working as I intend it to?...
    >>>

    >>> Yours Sincerely,
    >>> Samuël ML Lison
    >>>

    >> What operating system are you running? I am running
    >> ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.004 with Thunderbird and it's working fine
    >> with Win98.

    > Windows XP Professional here.
    >

    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Samuël ML Lison

    If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
    around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
    ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
    wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security" "features"
    which disable third party applications which serve as replacements of
    their own.

    Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
    ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.

    Sh4d03

    sh4d03, Jan 2, 2005
  5. sh4d03 wrote:
    > If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
    > around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
    > ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
    > wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security" "features"
    > which disable third party applications which serve as replacements of
    > their own.
    >
    > Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
    > ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.

    Thanks for the response.

    ZoneAlarm automatically disabled the built in Windows Firewall upon
    installation. I have also checked to see if windows firewall was
    disabled and it was.

    I have done a google search on the matter and it seems that I am not the
    only one with this problem since updating ZoneAlarm. Seems that it may
    be something to do with SP2 also, as a lot of the search results were
    based around SP2 and ZoneAlarm.

    My method of fixing was to completely remove ZoneAlarm.

    Do you know of any other good software based firewall worth mentioning?
    I *was* a paying customer for ZoneAlarm, but finding a better, free
    option is the way I am going for all of my software, and donating as
    money permits.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Samuël ML Lison

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=, Jan 3, 2005
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=

    sh4d03 Guest

    Samuël ML Lison wrote:
    > sh4d03 wrote:
    >
    >> If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
    >> around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
    >> ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
    >> wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security"
    >> "features" which disable third party applications which serve as
    >> replacements of their own.
    >>
    >> Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
    >> ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.

    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > ZoneAlarm automatically disabled the built in Windows Firewall upon
    > installation. I have also checked to see if windows firewall was
    > disabled and it was.
    >
    > I have done a google search on the matter and it seems that I am not the
    > only one with this problem since updating ZoneAlarm. Seems that it may
    > be something to do with SP2 also, as a lot of the search results were
    > based around SP2 and ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > My method of fixing was to completely remove ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > Do you know of any other good software based firewall worth mentioning?
    > I *was* a paying customer for ZoneAlarm, but finding a better, free
    > option is the way I am going for all of my software, and donating as
    > money permits.
    >

    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Samuël ML Lison

    It basically depends on how secure you want your firewall to be. I've
    heard many good things about Kerio firewall. ZoneAlarm is defnitely a
    highly respected solution and I would investigate into why it was
    blocking what you wanted. Maybe contact ZoneAlarm - if you're a paying
    customer then you're paying for their support - use it!

    If you're paranoid about security and have a spare old pc lying around a
    smoothwall or other Linux firewall can be fun to set up and great for
    security.

    Sh4d03

    --
    If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
    sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide

    sh4d03, Jan 3, 2005
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=

    sh4d03 Guest

    Samuël ML Lison wrote:
    > sh4d03 wrote:
    >
    >> If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
    >> around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
    >> ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
    >> wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security"
    >> "features" which disable third party applications which serve as
    >> replacements of their own.
    >>
    >> Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
    >> ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.

    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > ZoneAlarm automatically disabled the built in Windows Firewall upon
    > installation. I have also checked to see if windows firewall was
    > disabled and it was.
    >
    > I have done a google search on the matter and it seems that I am not the
    > only one with this problem since updating ZoneAlarm. Seems that it may
    > be something to do with SP2 also, as a lot of the search results were
    > based around SP2 and ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > My method of fixing was to completely remove ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > Do you know of any other good software based firewall worth mentioning?
    > I *was* a paying customer for ZoneAlarm, but finding a better, free
    > option is the way I am going for all of my software, and donating as
    > money permits.
    >

    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Samuël ML Lison

    I'd be interested in whatever you find out because I've just learnt that
    a friend of mine has ZoneAlarm and now Mozilla Firefox isn't working -
    he however uses Windows 2k.

    Sh4d03

    sh4d03, Jan 3, 2005