    internet access with the 'Don’t panic'.??????
    I removed the internet logs as instructed to no avail!

    TIA

    A Teuchter, May 18, 2005

  2. A Teuchter

    JANA Guest

    Re: ZoneAlarm has detected a problem with your installation, and therefore has restricted Internet access from your machine for your protection. Don't panic

    I have a note here about one of the older versions of Zonealarm which will
    dissable internet access if their software is removed. This in fact is
    technicaly not legal for them to do, but they did it anyways.

    These instructions are a copy that was taken from Zonealarm.

    WARNING - The instructions below are for users who have uninstalled a Zone
    Labs product, and have lost ALL Internet access.

    ** STEP 1 ** Boot into Safe Mode:

    If you have Windows 98/2000/ME/XP, Reboot your system into Safe Mode (with
    NO networking if you have that option). Click on Start, Help, and type
    "Safe Mode" if you don't know how to do this.

    ** STEP 2 ** Remove Registry Entry (Windows 95/98/ME ONLY) :

    Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious
    problems to your operating system (OS) which may necessitate the need to
    reinstall the OS. Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions
    correctly before you decide to edit the entries. If you are not sure, you
    should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the registry.

    For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, click Start, Run,
    and type "regedit.exe". Click "Help," then "Help Topic." Click "Changing
    Keys and Values." Also, you should always make a backup (see your help
    files) of the registry before editing it.

    - To edit the registry, go to Start/Run and type: "regedit."

    - Navigate in the left pane to this entry and delete the appropriate key:

    W95/98/Me/XP
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VSDATA95

    Click File, Exit to finish. (NOTE - If on reboot you get a VXD error, hit
    Enter. In this case, you will need to perform the REGEDIT sequence again
    from the normal Windows, since Windows didn't allow registry changes while
    in Safe Mode.)

    ** STEP 3 ** Remove Files:

    To make sure that you can see the ZA/ZAP system files, if they are still on
    your computer, click Start, Help, then type either "hidden files" or "show
    all files" - one of these should tell you how to make sure ALL files are
    visible. Follow the instructions given. Be sure to change this back after
    you are done.

    - Click Start, Find or Search, select your local hard drive, type in
    "VSDATA*.*" and click on the Search button.

    - If you find any files named VSDATA95 or VSDATANT, delete them (you can do
    this from the search window).

    - Now in the find field, type in "INTERNET LOGS", and click Search.

    - You should see a folder - delete the folder. This removes the database
    files. They are recreated if you run ZA/ZAP again.

    ** STEP 4 ** Clean up deletions:

    - Empty the trash (recycle) bin.

    - Reboot your machine normally.

    ** STEP 5 ** Finish Uninstalling:

    Now you should have your access back. Point your browser to
    www.zonelabs.com, click on Support, then on Technical Support, and then on
    Install/Uninstall. Select your operating system. Follow the instructions
    there to complete the uninstall. If any do not apply, simply continue on to
    the next.

    NOTES FOR FUTURE UNINSTALLING:

    - If you reinstall ZA/ZAP, and need to UNinstall again, be sure you always
    say Yes to delete all files, and say Yes to allow Truevector to shut down,
    or it cannot remove files properly. It is also a good idea to keep the file
    that you downloaded to install with.

    - If you ever need to shut down ZA/ZAP while figuring out any configuration
    issues - On the Configure Panel, UNcheck the boxes to "Load At Startup" and
    "Show Shell Toolbar" if you have one (if not, then Right-click on the gray
    taskbar along the bottom of your screen, select Toolbars, and Uncheck the
    ZoneAlarm DeskBand). You can now reboot with no ZA/ZAP process running.

    JANA
    _____

    "A Teuchter" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I have had no end of problems as late with ZoneAlarm and removed it and also
    removed as much trace from the registry as I could find.
    Can anyone advize me on what i have missed as i keep getting the blocked

    JANA, May 18, 2005

  3. A Teuchter

    A Teuchter Guest

    Re: ZoneAlarm has detected a problem with your installation, and therefore has restricted Internet access from your machine for your protection. Don't panic

    Thank you :)

    A Teuchter, May 19, 2005