    Oh, the camera I'm using is the Olympus C8080
    Input would be much appreciated.
    -tom

    Tom Nakashima, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Tom Nakashima

    Jim Guest

    "Tom Nakashima" <> wrote in message
    news:djb01g$3i4$...
    >I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
    >use the Zone System?
    > I haven't experimented with the Zone System in digital yet, but I have
    > used it in medium and large format with film.
    > I used a Pentex Spot meter to read EV's and placed the values in their
    > zones accordingly. Since my digital camera now has a built in spot meter
    > there is probably no need for the external meter. I just wanted to know
    > how digital photographers are using the Zone System. Also when setting the
    > camera function in the Black & White mode, does it change the metering? I
    > haven't seen it in the readings, but not sure if it corrects
    > automatically?
    > Oh, the camera I'm using is the Olympus C8080
    > Input would be much appreciated.
    > -tom

    I don't see why not as long as you remember that digital acts more like
    slide film than negative film.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 21, 2005

  3. On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:04:16 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
    <> wrote:

    >I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
    >use the Zone System?
    >I haven't experimented with the Zone System in digital yet, but I have used
    >it in medium and large format with film.
    >I used a Pentex Spot meter to read EV's and placed the values in their zones
    >accordingly. Since my digital camera now has a built in spot meter there is
    >probably no need for the external meter. I just wanted to know how digital
    >photographers are using the Zone System. Also when setting the camera
    >function in the Black & White mode, does it change the metering? I haven't
    >seen it in the readings, but not sure if it corrects automatically?
    >Oh, the camera I'm using is the Olympus C8080
    >Input would be much appreciated.
    >-tom

    Here's on. Just google if it.

    http://www.normankoren.com/zonesystem.html

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Oct 21, 2005
  4. In article <djb01g$3i4$>, Tom Nakashima
    <> wrote:

    > I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
    > use the Zone System?

    I learned the Zone System late in life, after doing B&W for years the
    wrong way. I haven't tried to apply it to digital though.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Tom Nakashima

    kctan Guest

    With a good RAW image taken, you can used level and curve adjustments to
    fit in any zone you like. Understanding of level and curve adjustments is
    needed and definitely not the trial and error manipulation.

    kctan, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Tom Nakashima

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    >I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
    >use the Zone System?

    It makes no sense to use the zone system for digital imaging, but it does
    help to understand what it is. With digital, the medium's response curve can
    be modified as you wish to accomodate brightness range in ways that film
    photographer/wet darkroom can only approximate with a lot of exposure,
    development adjustment and masking while printing.

    Lorem Ipsum, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Tom Nakashima

    bmoag Guest

    I would think raw zonally while taking the picture with the camera and
    process Photoshoply to adjust tones regionally as desired.

    bmoag, Oct 25, 2005
  8. On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:54:48 +0800, "kctan" <>
    wrote:

    >>>I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers
    >>>who use the Zone System?

    > With a good RAW image taken, you can used level and curve adjustments to
    >fit in any zone you like. Understanding of level and curve adjustments is
    >needed and definitely not the trial and error manipulation.

    Actually, a RAW image is not required. Curves, gamma, levels, mid and
    white point adjustment, etc. all work just fine on a low compression
    JPG.

    Dave
    East Englewood
    The proof is in the print.

    Dave-East Englewood, Nov 3, 2005
  9. Tom Nakashima

    kctan Guest

    Quite true with minimal adjustment as it got only 8bit of gray tones. With
    raw you got 16bit and that is 65536 compare to 256. You are running a risk
    with posterization also for having just 256 gray tones to manipulate. Hope
    you see the diff.

    kctan, Nov 3, 2005